“My family loved this hotel”

Sun Tower Hotel & Suites
Reviewed April 30, 2009

I am a single mother with two teenage girls 12 and 17. We found this hotel by accident, we were driving around checking out places to stay. We found the Sun Tower and Thank God we did. The location was excellent and the suite was wonderful, the girls had their own area and I had mine and we were seperated by a door( it was great!) I also have to comment on the staff. They all went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting value and excellent service.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed February 15, 2009

I just stayed at this resort for 3 nights and had an amazing time! It has been entirely renovated and everything including the staff was awesome- The views are spectacular also. Best of all is the privacy and peace...both hard to find in Fort Lauderdale.

Stayed: February 2009
1  Thank SweetFebruary
Reviewed July 27, 2008

My family is more concerned with getting a good value then all the extras. We vacation on a budget so price is a big concern. We booked the Sun Tower Motel through Hotels.com. We reserved a standard 2-queen, micro and fridge room for $69.00 a night. Upon check-in, we asked to have a room as high up as possible. Since the seventh floor is a privately owned penthouse, Jeff offered to give us a free upgrade to a king and pullout bed suite with full kitchen on the sixth floor. What a great room and an even greater view!!!

Almost the whole east wall facing the Atlantic Ocean was sliding glass doors that led to a balcony and since we had an end room, we had great views of the Grand Pelican's pool and lazy river. The Sun Tower Motel is right on the ocean. I'm serious. We counted it out. From the elevator to the beach was approximately 38 steps. You can't get any closer unless you are on a boat. We spent hours sitting on our balcony watching the water and animal life in the water and at night we sat out on the beach and enjoyed the sound of the water. It was so relaxing.

Since the Grand Pelican leases the Sun Tower Motel, Sun Tower guests get to use all the amenities of the Grand Pelican. The restaurant offered some reasonable daily dinner specials and there was an internet room with four computers which we used to find other restaurants in the area. However, since we stay on a budget, we found a Walgreens and a Publix food store not to far away and stocked up our room with lots of goodies.

The Sun Tower Motel is just what it is. It's NOT the Grand Pelican. Even though these hotels are related they're more like cousins. Our room was clean, the bed and furniture was comfortable, the bathroom was a decent size and there was an extra vanity area. We had two TVs, one in each room which was great with a teenager, a big dining table with four chairs, a microwave, sink and a full sized refrigerator, plus unbeatable views. What more could you ask for for $69.00 a night. So what if between the bathroom and the vanity area we counted four different styles of lightbulb and does it really matter that there was some grass growing on our balcony? The hotel is seventy-plus years old and it looks it. At least it's clean and the staff is polite. We asked for extra pillows and had them within 10 minutes.

During our stay, we met some other guests that were paying $169.00 a night and were happy to pay it. I suggest, however, that you do your research. Deals can be had for this property and I'm not sure it's worth over $90.00 a night, it is old and especially since you do need a car. There isn't anything within walking distance and if you have a car you have to pay for valet parking which is $17.00 a day or use the meters on the street which are $1.00 a hour. Actually, the valet parking wasn't bad. Whenever we needed our car we just called ahead and by the time we walked over, it was there and it was nice knowing that our car was secure at night, but you do have to take the extra charge into account.

For my family, we had a great time, so much so, we decided to stay an extra night which they were very accomodating about. Even though we had booked through hotels.com and they couldn't give us the $69.00 rate, Carlos offered us another night for only $80.00 which we gladly took to quote my 19 year old son, "spend another night in paradise".

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2008

The Sun Tower Motel has a beautiful location. It's right among all the enormous high-rise condo buildings along the beach, and right next door to the amazing Pelican Grand hotel. The views from our balcony were just beautiful, especially when the sun rose over the Atlantic! My husband and I loved taking our nightly walks on the beach every night. For the price, we were happy with that aspect of the hotel. Also our room was nice, clean, etc.

However, everything else was average to way sub-par. When we arrived about a half-hour after check-in time began, we were told that our room wasn't ready yet. We waited for nearly an hour, and finally they had *a* room available, just not the one they had intended for us. We had wanted a king bed and ended up with two queens. The hotel wasn't full that night, so it made me wonder why they didn't clean the rooms that they knew would be occupied that night.

But that wasn't too bad - we were still happy. Until we saw green-looking water come out of our bathroom faucet. I should say *spray* out of our faucet. Water literally went everywhere when we turned on the sink. We didn't want to drink green water, so we went downstairs to the Coke machine - and it was broken! Plus, the ice machine was also broken, and that's where I got really mad. I mean, the ice machine?? So we had to order room service to get a soda with ice. Totally unnecessary.

Also, the Sun Tower website promises you free wireless internet, and a hair dryer in every room. This was not the case in either situation. I had no hair dryer to use (good thing I brought my own!), and there was no internet access in our room. That's just false advertising, since my husband and I take internet access into consideration when choosing our hotel.

Plus, the front desk was only open for a few hours each day, so we never got the chance to talk to anyone about the broken machinery and the lack of internet!

The Sun Tower is the sister property of the Pelican Grand hotel, and it's clearly the less-favored sibling. Everyone spends more of their time on the guests staying at the more expensive and luxurious Pelican Grand. So, while you also get to go next door to the fancy hotel and use their amenities, be prepared to feel a bit second-rate.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Cynthia411
Reviewed April 14, 2008

We stayed at the Suntower for two nights pre-cruise a few weeks ago (March 2008). We bid on the rooms online and got a great rate of $114 per night. We were given a suite and two other regular rooms.
We loved it!
It's an older hotel directly on the beach with full access and connected by a short walkway to the new Pelican Grande Hotel.
Our rooms were very clean. The suite had two complete rooms with a separate dining area and a kitchen (full-size frig, microwave, sink, counters, cupboards, dishes, but not stove). The bathrooms in both rooms had a tub with a shower in it. The regular rooms had a mini frig and a microwave.
The balconies were not very deep but plenty wide.
The Pelican Grande (where we spent hours) has a beautiful pool and an excellent relaxing and scenic Lazy River Pool. On the weekends they set up a bbq at the pool. For $10 you can get the best fresh grilled mahi-mahi, ribs, and burgers. One order is enough for two people. The food is mouth-watering! They also have an excellent ice cream shop, a gazebo on top of the hotel (very scenic), rocking chairs and rattan furniture on a never-ending porch overlooking the ocean, a beautiful glassed in bar overlooking the ocean with free popcorn, a game room, a grand piano, and a marvelous lobby. They also serve an excellent room service dinner (to the Sun Tower too) and they have a restaurant on-site which serves an excellent Sunday buffet.
The Sun Tower also has a pool which is VERY warm and nine feet deep. It's seldom used and surrounded by lovely tropical vegetation. We used this pool every day.
The Sun Tower rooms are done in a soft pink with a deep turquoise carpet. Again, the rooms are older but HUGE!!!! And what a view!

The only downfall is there's nothing really in walking distance. We had a rental car but really never used it except once to drive to Las Olas to go shopping and to the grocery store for food. Parking is a mandatory $16 a day but it's free in-and-out concierge service.

Speaking of service, the staff was remarkably nice.

We'll stay here again. For the price, the view is incredible! I'll take a comfortable, clean older hotel directly on the beach any day.

I hope the Sun Tower remains forever.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Very nice motel on the beach with a heated pool, clean, spacious room, friendly employees. The check in was slow, maid service was slow, there was a $10.00 charge to access the internet on the tv in the room and a mandatory 16.00 charge to valet the car.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I wanted to love this hotel - I really did. It is indeed right on the beach, “on the sand” as they say. EVERY room faces the ocean with particularly stunning views from the rooms on the upper floors. The pools of the Pelican next door are great.

There are a few issues however:

One is internet connectivity or lack thereof. This may not matter much to you if you’re strictly on vacation and can completely unplug but if you need to monitor work email or check websites every now and then to keep on top of things you are out of luck at the Sun Tower. The Sun Tower’s website promises: “Complimentary in-room Internet access” but this is simply untrue. When I was unable to detect a wireless signal I approached the front desk to inquire about how to connect and I was told that their complimentary in-room internet access consisted of dial-up. Pressed further they revealed they didn’t really even offer that. Basically the deal is you can access your own dial-up AOL account (assuming you have one) from the phone in the room and they won’t charge you extra for it. In short, they offer free local calls not internet access. This is misleading to say the least and it presented a very big problem for me as there was some business I had to attend to. Management refused to even acknowledge that they were mis-advertising their amenities and the only alternative they offered me was to sit in their noisy lobby (which does offer wireless access). Were it not for the fact that I had pre-paid for my room I would have left immediately.

The second issue is that there is nothing else near (walk-able) this hotel. No restaurants, bars or shops. Plan on driving around a lot or else eating at the on-site restaurant.

The Sun Tower did not really fit my needs and I will not be going back but I can see how a vacationing family might like it.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple