“Great Spot to Getaway!”

Sun Tower Hotel & Suites
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was driving down the main drag in Ft. Lauderdale when I stumbled upon this hidden gem. From the moment, I went in I knew this was going to my choice for accomodations. All the staff were great! Every room had a beachfront view and had been recently updated. I enjoyed watching the sunrise with my coffee each morning. For the price and location, I will be back for sure!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at SunTower 3 years ago, and intentionally sought them out for our stay in Fort Lauderdale again this year. As soon as we arrived, we remembered why we decided to return here. SunTower's team gives you the feeling of being at a Bed and Breakfast with the advantages of a hotel that is right on the beach. When we talked with them on the phone, and when we arrived at the hotel, the folks were incredibly friendly, helpful and seemed genuinely pleased to have us there. The hotel is not big, but most rooms face the beach, have a tremendous view, and are very easy to get in and out of. The pool area is not large, but is immaculately kept up, and the beach access is as convenient as can be. The SunTower is not for folks looking for kid's activities, gift shops, or the large hotel/resort experience. However, if you are looking for a comfortable, convenient hotel with top notch beach access, an incredible staff, and an all around great experience, then we'd highly recommend SunTower.

Room Tip: Most all rooms face the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Amazing location right on the beach, and a very friendly staff. I was also thrilled that the hotel has a free parking lot for my rental car. My wife and I enjoyed the beach chair and umbrella service as we enjoyed our time on the quiet beach.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Prior to leaving for our trip we wondered how 4 adult FEMALES could make it in one hotel room for 4 days. Well upon arrival in our Oceanfront King Suite in the Sun Tower with a King bed in one room and a Queen sofa bed and roll away bed in the living area we were pleasantly surprised at how much space we had.

Room was very nice (could use a little updating)....but the view made you forget any complaints.

The hotel staff was very, very helpful and pleasant and the restaurant was great. But a special thanks goes to the front desk staff especially CARLOS. He was the man!!! He was just a wealth of information on how to get to places and things to do.

I will definitely be returning to this little hidden gem of a hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tanya A
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I greatly enjoyed our stay at Sun Tower. What I will remember most about the hotel is the view from our balcony. You cannot get a better ocean view than what you get from the rooms at Sun Tower. Every morning I woke up to a breathtaking sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean. The hotel offers free beach chairs and umbrellas. We noticed the beach staff were a little slow in the morning to set up your umbrella so we saw many guests just taking it upon themselves to get the umbrella from the storage bin. We went to the front desk to ask for help and within a few minutes someone was there to set up our umbrella and chairs on the beach. We had breakfast and lunch at the hotel restaurant and found the food pretty tasty for the most part. The pool was nice but we didn't spend much time by it just because, well, you can lay by a pool anywhere but you can't lay on a beautiful beach with crystal clear waters anywhere. You are right next to the Pelican Hotel, where room rates are twice as much, yet you share the same beach. Also, since the Sun Hotel is a smaller hotel than the Pelican, there was more room on the beach to spread out so you were not laying out right next to other people. The rooms at the Sun Hotel were nice, nothing fancy but you could tell they have made some recent updates to the decor. There was a mix of new furniture with some outdated chairs, but everything was clean. All rooms have the same amazing ocean view. If I am ever in Fort Lauderdale I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank amyanderlonis
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Beautiful ocean views and private beach. We have stayed with Sun Tower for the past 3 years and are never disapointed. Service is excellent and staff helpful. Rooms are clean. The beach is beautiful. Hotel supplies all chairs, umbrellas and towels for the beach and pool. Restaurant has excellent food with reasonable prices. Parking is included in price of hotel room. No hidden fees. Every year we look forwad to our vacation at Sun Tower. Feels like home away from home. Cant wait till next year. Count Down begins!!!

Room Tip: Ocean views are better from the higher floors.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dara B
Reviewed March 16, 2013

FInding this hotel was like finding a gem in the sand. I was traveling solo, in desperate need of a quiet vacation in a nice resort, and had booked a room at the Hilton on Singer Island, which looked like it would fit the bill. Unfortunately, when I got there, I was given the last room in a sold-out hotel, and it was intolerably musty. Not the experience I had anticipated--- I canceled my reservation, and tried in vain to find a room online in another quality beach-front hotel anywhere between Singer Island and Ft. Lauderdale, but, it being Spring Break, every decent place was either booked or ridiculously expensive. So I set out down the coast, with no luck finding a room at a quality hotel. Normally when in Ft. Lauderdale, I like to stay at the Pelican Grande Resort, but their rates were astronomical for the week. I was about to resign myself to staying at a place more inland, but decided to stop for dinner at the Pelican Grande before turning in. It was then I discovered the SunTower, located inconspicuously right next to the Pelican. Boy was I stunned at what a great find this was. The staff is extremely down to earth, friendly and accommodating, and runs it like an inn. Even though they could not give me the same room for the balance of my week there, because they too were pretty booked, they did everything to make my stay welcome, comfortable and effortless. The rates were reasonable, for high season. I ended up staying in 3 different rooms, but the staff moved my things for me while I was on the beach, and sought me out to make sure I had my new key once they did. I didn't mind the room shuffling, as the staff was so wonderful and had gone out of their way to fit me in, given that I had just showed up, tired and cranky, without a reservation at the busiest time of year. The rooms were all clean and very comfortable, with breathtaking ocean views and balconies, and are literally steps to the beach.The hotel has only 7 floors with 4 rooms per floor, all facing the ocean, and feels more like a large bed and breakfast than a hotel. I stayed in two different King suites and one regular room, and the suites were a very nice size with convenient kitchens, as well as 2 flat-screen tv's and new carpet. The beds were all comfortable and fresh.Their beach is clean and well stocked with lots of lounge chairs, umbrellas, and you get your beach towels at the front desk. I was pleasantly surprised that they don't charge for any of these, as the large resorts all charge a daily fee of $20-$45 for a beach set up. There are nicely appointed, clean, modern restrooms just inside the building from the beach.There is also a beautifully landscaped pool with a gorgeous tiled deck and lounge chairs, for when you want a break from the wind. There is a great little restaurant on site, with a deck overlooking the ocean, that serves generous breakfast, lunch and dinner, at reasonable prices, along with beer, wine and sangria, as well as wine-based tropical drinks. It is very laid back and the food is amazing. Best mahi fish tacos I ever had, and the salads are huge, fresh and delicious. The burgers and flatbreads looked great too, although I didn't get to try them. Staff from the restaurant checks on guests on the beach, and are happy to bring you drinks/food to your beach chair. Best of all is Mike, who runs the restaurant with relaxed hippie style and humor, making everyone feel welcome and at home. The other guests at this hotel were quiet and mature, and I was able to relax and unwind on the beach in peace, without crazy spring breakers or screaming children. Even saw manatees swimming right off shore. This hotel sits on a great stretch of beach, and you can take long walks in either direction overlooking turquoise blue water. Heading north, you can walk past the residence high rises along Galt Ocean Mile, all the way to Lauderdale by the Sea, and heading south you can walk through Ft. Lauderdale main beach, past all the mega resorts. You are also within walking distance of Hugh Birch Taylor State Park, where bicycle rentals are available.

Another plus--free parking right in front of the hotel (no long walks here), whereas most, if not all the other resorts have a parking fee of $15-25 per night and require you to use their valet. There is complimentary high speed internet access in the common areas, and to get wi-fi in your room, it is only $5.00 per day. There is also a computer and printer available in the lobby at no charge. Convenient too is having the Pelican Grande right next door, where they have a very nice upscale restaurant with oceanfront dining, as well as a nice little ice cream parlor/cafe where you can get your cappuccinos/lattes and some of the tastiest, creamiest ice cream around. It is also a short drive to many bars, restaurants and shopping.

Over all, a cool, unpretentious little place for a solo traveler to relax, feel at home and recharge, in a clean, comfortable inn-like setting. I will return again and again. But next time I will book it way in advance, so I have the same room for the duration of my stay.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a regular room with 2 doubles, room 953 is a very nice room with a nicely ren...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo