“Gem on the Beach”

Sun Tower Hotel & Suites on the beach
Windsor, Canada
“Gem on the Beach”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Beautiful ocean views and private beach. We have stayed with Sun Tower for the past 3 years and are never disapointed. Service is excellent and staff helpful. Rooms are clean. The beach is beautiful. Hotel supplies all chairs, umbrellas and towels for the beach and pool. Restaurant has excellent food with reasonable prices. Parking is included in price of hotel room. No hidden fees. Every year we look forwad to our vacation at Sun Tower. Feels like home away from home. Cant wait till next year. Count Down begins!!!

Room Tip: Ocean views are better from the higher floors.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dara B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 16, 2013

FInding this hotel was like finding a gem in the sand. I was traveling solo, in desperate need of a quiet vacation in a nice resort, and had booked a room at the Hilton on Singer Island, which looked like it would fit the bill. Unfortunately, when I got there, I was given the last room in a sold-out hotel, and it was intolerably musty. Not the experience I had anticipated--- I canceled my reservation, and tried in vain to find a room online in another quality beach-front hotel anywhere between Singer Island and Ft. Lauderdale, but, it being Spring Break, every decent place was either booked or ridiculously expensive. So I set out down the coast, with no luck finding a room at a quality hotel. Normally when in Ft. Lauderdale, I like to stay at the Pelican Grande Resort, but their rates were astronomical for the week. I was about to resign myself to staying at a place more inland, but decided to stop for dinner at the Pelican Grande before turning in. It was then I discovered the SunTower, located inconspicuously right next to the Pelican. Boy was I stunned at what a great find this was. The staff is extremely down to earth, friendly and accommodating, and runs it like an inn. Even though they could not give me the same room for the balance of my week there, because they too were pretty booked, they did everything to make my stay welcome, comfortable and effortless. The rates were reasonable, for high season. I ended up staying in 3 different rooms, but the staff moved my things for me while I was on the beach, and sought me out to make sure I had my new key once they did. I didn't mind the room shuffling, as the staff was so wonderful and had gone out of their way to fit me in, given that I had just showed up, tired and cranky, without a reservation at the busiest time of year. The rooms were all clean and very comfortable, with breathtaking ocean views and balconies, and are literally steps to the beach.The hotel has only 7 floors with 4 rooms per floor, all facing the ocean, and feels more like a large bed and breakfast than a hotel. I stayed in two different King suites and one regular room, and the suites were a very nice size with convenient kitchens, as well as 2 flat-screen tv's and new carpet. The beds were all comfortable and fresh.Their beach is clean and well stocked with lots of lounge chairs, umbrellas, and you get your beach towels at the front desk. I was pleasantly surprised that they don't charge for any of these, as the large resorts all charge a daily fee of $20-$45 for a beach set up. There are nicely appointed, clean, modern restrooms just inside the building from the beach.There is also a beautifully landscaped pool with a gorgeous tiled deck and lounge chairs, for when you want a break from the wind. There is a great little restaurant on site, with a deck overlooking the ocean, that serves generous breakfast, lunch and dinner, at reasonable prices, along with beer, wine and sangria, as well as wine-based tropical drinks. It is very laid back and the food is amazing. Best mahi fish tacos I ever had, and the salads are huge, fresh and delicious. The burgers and flatbreads looked great too, although I didn't get to try them. Staff from the restaurant checks on guests on the beach, and are happy to bring you drinks/food to your beach chair. Best of all is Mike, who runs the restaurant with relaxed hippie style and humor, making everyone feel welcome and at home. The other guests at this hotel were quiet and mature, and I was able to relax and unwind on the beach in peace, without crazy spring breakers or screaming children. Even saw manatees swimming right off shore. This hotel sits on a great stretch of beach, and you can take long walks in either direction overlooking turquoise blue water. Heading north, you can walk past the residence high rises along Galt Ocean Mile, all the way to Lauderdale by the Sea, and heading south you can walk through Ft. Lauderdale main beach, past all the mega resorts. You are also within walking distance of Hugh Birch Taylor State Park, where bicycle rentals are available.

Another plus--free parking right in front of the hotel (no long walks here), whereas most, if not all the other resorts have a parking fee of $15-25 per night and require you to use their valet. There is complimentary high speed internet access in the common areas, and to get wi-fi in your room, it is only $5.00 per day. There is also a computer and printer available in the lobby at no charge. Convenient too is having the Pelican Grande right next door, where they have a very nice upscale restaurant with oceanfront dining, as well as a nice little ice cream parlor/cafe where you can get your cappuccinos/lattes and some of the tastiest, creamiest ice cream around. It is also a short drive to many bars, restaurants and shopping.

Over all, a cool, unpretentious little place for a solo traveler to relax, feel at home and recharge, in a clean, comfortable inn-like setting. I will return again and again. But next time I will book it way in advance, so I have the same room for the duration of my stay.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a regular room with 2 doubles, room 953 is a very nice room with a nicely ren...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank AbbyD53449
Cascade, Colorado
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at the Sun Tower for two nights after being on a Caribbean cruise and I felt just like I was still on the cruise! Our room was on the fifth floor and looking out of the sliding glass doors from the bed, all you can see is ocean. It is a lovely small boutique hotel right on a beautiful beach and as close as you could possibly get to the ocean. All of the help were very nice and friendly and there is a nice little restaurant right there and a pool so you have everything you need for a relaxing beach stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My favorite hotel near Ft. Lauderdale. All rooms have a great oceanfront view. It’s a small hotel (under 30 rooms), so it doesn’t feel crowded. From the hotel you can see far enough south to see the cruise ships leave from Port Everglades. The management has been updating the hotel since I first stayed here. I’m really hoping they get to the bathrooms next, but it wouldn’t stop me from staying here. At least the showerheads would be a good start. I like having the restaurant/bar downstairs for breakfast and/or lunch on the beach. The food is much better than many hotel restaurants that I’ve been to. They do not charge for beach chairs, umbrellas, or towels, which saves quite a bit of money over several days, considering that other hotels in the area either have a resort fee or a separate beach concession. If you are a return visitor, you can call the hotel and ask for the “return guest” rate, which is the same as the Florida resident rate on the website. It’s worth booking one of the rooms with a kitchenette if you do not want to go out to eat every day. Standard rooms have a microwave and small refrigerator, which is great in any hotel. The staff has always been very nice.

Room Tip: I like the rooms on higher floors for the view. If you get a room with a kitchenette, ask for a roo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bethesda, MD
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel. We were given the same exact room as the previous year. We have a toddler, so we chose Sun Tower again because the room is spacious, there is a separate sleeping area, a kitchenette, and the restaurant is right downstairs with good breakfast options. Also, the view over the ocean is stunning. All those things proved to be great the second time around. In addition, the pool is lovely. The only negative was the bathroom. It was pretty bad last year, and this year it was clear that no improvements were made. I can live with the small size, but there were some unsafe parts. The knob on the shower has no markings for temperature and it is very hard to get it to be warm. It was either scalding hot or cold. The shower floor was very slippery with no treads. This was dangerous, as both me and my child slipped in the shower. The only other negative was that I called the night before we arrived to ask for the pack & play to be set up before we arrived, since we were arriving late and when we got there, it hadn't even been brought to the room. Overall, we really like this place and hope they make some improvements to the bathroom so we can feel comfortable staying there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Michele06
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 12, 2013

There are only five hotels ON THE BEACH in Ft Lauderdale. This one is the smallest with only 26 rooms, but it shines brightly. The staff was great, the place has had a major makeover recently and the on-site cafe is delicious, the pool is sheltered from the wind and beach towels are provided here or on the beach side. No need to rent any chairs or umbrellas as they are an amenity and the umbrellas are put up for you. I just cannot say enough good things about this place. Amanda, the gal running the place bent over backwards for us. We stayed here before leaving on a cruise, and again on our return and have already booked a year out for the next cruise. If you are considering this property, do not delay in booking as they seem to be sold out regularly. It seems to be popular with locals who just want a day at the beach

Room Tip: All rooms except one face the beach. If you like a large deck, get one of three on the main floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Washington, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This message is addressed to Mr. Negative from Florida It is Ok but not 5. about this hotel. This placed never said it is a 5 star hotel. I stayed there many times and I find the place to be perfect. never found anything wrong and it feels like home. I have stayed at hotels on the Gulf, including Clearwater. If you do not want to go back to Sun Tower, it is great. There will be space for toher. US$5.00 for internet is nothing. Try to stay other hotels and you pay $15.00 to $20.00. Parking was never a problem for me. Maybe this person is too old to appreciate the service the hotels provides. The pool is small, OK. But who wants to go on a pool when you have the ocean. Some people need to complaint about everything. I stayed at 5 starts hotel in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami and when I go to Sun Tower, I feel relaxed and with full wallet.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 3 fl, and also 4 floor and wonderful.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business