“What a treasure!”

Sun Tower Hotel & Suites on the beach
Stratford, Connecticut
“What a treasure!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We found our new favorite hotel in Ft. Lauderdale! From the moment we walked in until we left everything was excellent. It is directly on the sand. Our room had a small balcony that overlooked the beach. It was large and comfortable and had a refridgerator and microwave. The bathroom had all the amenities although the hairdryer was in a bag in the closet . The staff was very friendly and helpful. There was a great restaurant where we had dinner and breakfast. There's a lovely pool but we spent time on the beach. The only problem I could see is the parking area is very small but we had no trouble finding a place to park. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jandjct

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Toronto
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed at Sun Tower a few years back, and were very happy to witness that this hotel got even better. We booked the suite, which is highly recommended for families with small children - there is a microwave, a fridge, and a small kitchen with utensils and plates. You can dine at the Sandbar downstairs (nice food), or get your food from SuperTarget or Whole Foods, both of which are fairly close (under 10 minutes drive). The rooms are renovated, and look very neat - our impression from the last time was that they were a tad dated. The staff is helpful and personable all the way, can't thank them enough. The nice thing is that there is no more worries about getting the parking spot (still free) - you can double park and leave your keys at the front desk. The ocean is still at your doorstep, and you can relax at the balcony once the kids are asleep - not a whole lot of hotels have balconies anymore. The beach chairs and towels are free. Wi-Fi access is for a fee, but we did not purchase it, so can't say how well it works. We will be back definitely.

Room Tip: Suites on the left side of the building are farther from the bar, which may be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kozm
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is the best place to stay. I have stayed here 3 times and will not stay anywhere else when I am in the Fort Lauderdale area. Very clean large rooms and you'll love the staff. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Michelle S
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is my second visit to the Sun tower,this wonderful small family friendly hotel has been remodeled.
People are very nice, Carlos and John at the front desk. Carolyn as our housekeeper lady. Billy as our every thing guy. My parents have a very hard time getting around and all of the staff from every department has happily jumped to the task of helping else get around. Christine the general manager even let me use her personal computer so that I was able to have internet access.
also Tony the chef cooked a delicious lunch that was not on the menu for my me and my parents that have a specific diet. will also stay at the sun tower when ever I go to Ft Lauderdale.

Room Tip: Take the suite it's worth the little extra charge
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Luv2Trvl0209
Schroon Lake, New York, United States
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We've arrived for a beach wedding that was to take place right on the premises the day after. The lobby is quaint and the staff was very friendly. Iced lemon water greeted us at the desk, and in the August heat it was very refreshing! The transportation from the airport to the hotel was also excellent, we had them arrange their own best services. Also something we recommend if you're looking for transportation. The suite we stayed in was beautiful. I was taken a back with the view! The front of the room is the Kings size bedroom, then the sitting room and kitchen. Full size fridge and microwave/sink. No stove. We used the pull-out couch for our two younger kids. Those are never comfortable, so nothing new there. The kids did fine. The balcony isn't huge but a couple of chairs fit perfectly. The ocean could not be any closer! Beautiful..
The suite was clean, airy & spacious. The bathroom is pretty small. Somewhat remodeled since the 60's but still small.
The pool area is very quaint, private and nicely groomed (green). Restaurant/bar by the beach has friendly service and seems to be popular by the locals.
Direct access to the beach, outdoor shower and picnic tables. Beach beds and umbrellas for no charge.
The staff went above and beyond to accommodate every need for the wedding and it was beautifully done on the Hotel's beach. Very pleased and would absolutely stay there again!

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean. Having seen both regular rooms and suites, I would def. upgrade to a suite...
New York, New York
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were treated to an overnight stay here two weeks ago in celebration of an upcoming birthday.
Immediately upon arrival, we were greeted with smiles, iced lemon water and assistance with parking. Although we arrived a little early for check-in, our rooms were ready and what a pleasant surprise it was!
The hotel is located next to a behemoth hotel with all the bells and whistles and for a brief moment I wasn't sure what we were going to be in for! Very pleasantly surprised this small "hotel" proved to be worth it's weight in GOLD!
Perfectly situated a few yards from the beach, the rooms were immaculate. Crisp linen, king-sized beds, an ocean view, restaurant downstairs serving cocktails and a kitchenette in the room with all of the amenities, what's not to like?
The weather was perfect, as was the company. I would go back to this hotel in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: We were on the second floor facing the ocean and it was perfect!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Well, we stayed at this hotel for dates 8/25/12-8/31/12. Tropical Storm Isaac was causing bad weather in the area the first two days...lots of wind and rain. We stayed in the King suite on the 6th floor, which was nice because it had a full size fridge and a microwave (no stove). The kig size bed was comfy, and clean. The pillows were also very comfy. The second bed was actually a sofa that converted into a bed. I cannot imagine beds in jail to be any more uncomfortable than the bed it converted into. It was terrible, and we asked the front office if they could bring us a roll away cot. It was not much better, but my 9 yr old boy did not complain of the roll away. My 11 yr old girl slept on the bed that the couch converted into and she complained of back pains the next day. The next night, we asked for extra padding for it.
Thanks to Isaac, rain was a problem in that it was leaking into the room from the AC unit. The cleaning lady put a waste basket under the drip. The rain water was also coming into the room from the balcony, even with the doors fully closed. It spread at least three feet into the room and it quickly began to smell...actually, IT STUNK! I have never been woken up in the middle of the night by a smell before. It was like trying to sleep in a litter box! We alerted the front office the next day. They gave us air freshners, and we carried on.
The room had a wondwerful view. It was great. Honestly, I am not too picky when it comes to a room furniture so I cannot comment on its decor. I just didnt notice it too much. But the room was not dusty and seemed clean. My wife complained that it smelled musty, but I didn't notice it. The bathroom tub had rust along the outside base, again...it did not bother me at all. The room was cleaned very well by the staff, daily.
The location was perfect...right ON the beach. The beach was a short drive from the busy part of Ft Lauderdale. It was rather isolated with a bit of an older crowd feel to it. I liked the vibe, since I had my kids with me and didn't want them in the middle of loud and drunk fools.
The pool was fine. Small, but just fine. The deepest part only went to 4.5 feet or so. My kids and I were the only ones using the pool it seemed. The ocean water is rather calm so I suppose most like to swim there instead of the pool I guess.
The staff was great. Very friendly, but I don't feel we required too much of them. Considering the uncomfortable bed and the terrible smell in our room, I think we could have been more demanding. I think the staff was fine. I think management could have done more to prepare for the storm, however. I am sure it was not the first time water leaked into the room from the balcony. I would have completely understood sand bags or a tarp or something to try to keep out the water. I mean, it really caused a horrible smell in the entire room.
So. Would I stay here again? The location was great. The price was good. The free parking was awesome. The smell of the room, the condition of the second "bed" and the failure of management to adequetly prepare for a storm that the entire country was aware of coming a week in advance canot be ignored. No, I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor 5th or 6th floor.