“Another Great Trip”

Alcazar Resort
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Another Great Trip”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Another great trip to the Alcazar/Worthington. Staff is friendly and attentive. Resort gets better every time we go. Guest are friendly. I like to stay on the Alcazar side as is a little quieter and can alway wander over to the Worthington side. I'm looking forward to my next trip!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Stayed at the Worthington/Alcazar guesthouse for 3 nights in March and had a great time. The property is well maintained and service is excellent. I stayed on the Alcazar side which appeared to be a bit more quiet but that is just an impression and not one based on fact as I was not sleeping on the Worthington side. The Worthington pool is much busier during the day but if you want some great peace and quiet the Alcazar pool is fantastic!

My only minor criticism is that the bed linens in the rooms are in desperate need of upgrading. I seem to recall others have made this comment and they are correct. The bed sheets and duvet covers really need to be replaced as they are a bit threadbare.

However, the facility is beautifully landscaped, it's a very social atmosphere and very convenient to the beach.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
jdurhanFt_Lauderdale, Owner at Alcazar Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. I have called in my head housekeeper with respect to the linens. We very recently upgraded all bed linens at both buildings and no longer use duvets covers. We purchased all new High thread count sheets, new feather lite duvet blankets that get folded between two top sheets, Bed scarfs and new pillows. I will find out why you had that experience, it should not have happened. My apologies.
Jim Durhan
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I had a nice time there. The property is in excellent shape, and the owners work their butts off to keep it that way. The staff was great, the front desk was great. Very helpful and professional. We get used to being treated poorly and putting up with trashy rooms at resorts like this, and it's a refreshing change dealing with this property. I enjoyed the room, the amenities, the fellow guests, the layout of the place, the location, the quality of furnishings, the price per night, etc. I can't think of a better place to spend Christmas next year.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Very good experience. Nice folks, clean rooms, beautiful grounds, pool and hot tub. Will go again

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My partner and I had never visited Ft. Lauderdale before this summer, and we were so pleased when we realized we booked the perfect place to stay. When I am on vacation I don't much care to have women and children around, and I don't much care to have to wear clothes when I don't have to, so I always make it a point to book at clothing optional men-only resorts. I have stayed at many, many of these types of places over the years, and this was among the best.

We were immediately impressed by the warm welcome we received. Lots of useful tips were given by the friendly desk staff, and they actually gave us a personal tour of the property and showed us right to our room. This is unheard of, and w loved it. We noticed that as guests checked in this was standard practice. Despite what some reviewers here have said, the rooms were spacious, comfortable, and had some powerful air conditioning (a must during southern Florida summer time).

The crowd was just perfect. Not too old and not too young. Mostly guys in their 30s and 40s, just like us (we're both turning 40 next year). No attitude, very laid back. Hotel management and cleaning staff were consistently friendly, were there if we needed them but otherwise stayed out of our way and let us relax. The best part was that on Saturday evening, they have a free happy hour, in which they serve beer and wine with cheese and crackers to the guests. I thought it was a nice extra gesture and very classy. Of course, most of us were sloshed out of our minds, which was kind of the point. We loved it.

I have only two quick recommendations. i know the owner is going to hate me for this, but I have to agree the daily breakfast felt a little chintzy. it seems that they're really restricted by the county on what they can do, which is understandable, and the goodies are free to the guests, so beggars really can't be choosey. Still, it would help add a touch of class to invest in some insulated coffee servers and up the variety of fruit and pastries available. get a little mini-fridge for the breakfast area, so we don't feel like we're invading someone's kitchen to grab some juice or yogurts.

The second is including an out-door toilet near the pools. Since they're open 24 hours (which was AWESOME), its kind of a pain to have to travel up and downstairs every time I have to pee, especially since I am drinking lots of beer (what can I say?). I know I am being super nit-picky, but it was just a thought I had.

Don't worry. The first day we were there (we stayed five nights) we already knew we would be back again and again. Keep up the great work, guys!

Room Tip: Book a downstairs room if possible. The upstairs desks are exposed to the outside world, so one has...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Went to Ft. Lauderdale for business and following with a cruise, I needed a place that was clean, comfortable, safe, close to the ocean, social, and managed by professionals. I found all of this at this resort. I was impressed with the service and reception I received upon arrival...I was even escorted to my room and welcomed graciously. The restoration of this property is excellent, and I found my room to be of high quality. The bed was very, very comfortable, linens and towels were of great quality, a refrigerator was provided, and unique closet and ample storage space was available. The television only had basic service, and although I could state that this is the only negative quality that I found, I have to remind myself that with the resort amenities and surrounding beach area, do I really want to stay in my room and watch television??? There were great people to meet, a nice social, great pools. The breakfast was good, the grounds are well manicured, and I felt completely safe (I appreciated having a key to gate entry and my room as well on one key ring). I will return as I found all I wanted in a resort here and felt truly welcomed by the management and their team (staff members were constantly asking, "Can we help you with anything.") Highly recommended. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank drjones7137
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I just returned from a week's stay at the Alcazar and have nothing buy good things to say. I travelled there alone and got a ground-level room right off the pool and had the exact kind of "get-away" I needed. The room was modest but very clean--and the bed was extremely comfortable (I'm now bed shopping as a result). I made some great friends while I was there and loved the friendly, social atmosphere that surrounded the pool area 24/7. Many nights, I woke up at 3am and wandered out to the pool for a swim under the stars and conversation with other guests. The pools are salt water which is awesome. No chlorine stink or dry skin. The landscaping is wonderful, giving you the full tropical vibe. The palm trees are mature enough to provide a canopy setting over parts of the Worthington pool area, yet always lots of sunshine for sun bathers. The gym is on the Alacazar side, along wit laundry facilities. Everyone on the staff was helpful, friendly and went out of their way to ensure I was having a nice stay. I especially enjoyed getting to know the crew who provided room service. Very friendly group of guys who took their job seriously. I had a chance to sit by the pool one night with the owner and had a nice chat about the history and architecture of the building. It's clear he takes great pride in his business and works hard to give people the vacation experience they're looking for. They even have a partnership with a cab driver who will take you to the airport or Wilton Manners for a flat fee. Very convenient. The crowd during my stay was a mix of couples and single men. If you're looking for a romantic get-away with your partner, this place provides it. If you're looking for a "bad romance," you can find that, too. Nice balance. I did get an opportunity to look at some of the other gay resorts in the area and walked away thinking I had made the right choice with the Alcazar. They describe it as the "sister" hotel to the Worthington Guest House, but it really is all one resort. Guests can use either pool and the proximity is just steps away along a private enclosure. Honestly, you'd never guess they were two separate hotels. In the end, the partnership between the two hotels really just means you're staying in a larger resort with more opportunities to meet new friends, yet it all retains a very intimate feel. I read some of the negative reviews posted and can only tell you to take them with a grain of salt. You're a few blocks from the beach and walking distance to great shopping and fantastic restaurants. This was my first visit to Fort Lauderdale, and I'll definitely be going back. Thanks for a wonderful vacation! I've been home three days now and I'm still dreaming about the pools, palm trees, lizards and friendly faces.

Sven

Room Tip: Ask for poolside
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
The Cabanas Guesthouse & Spa
#1 of 3 in Wilton Manors
Grand Palm Plaza
#16 of 34 in Fort Lauderdale

Been to Alcazar Resort? Share your experiences!