“Give it a miss!!!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #7 of 132 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed December 15, 2008

The Ritz Carlton t Fort Lauderdale (previously the St Regis) is in a mess. I had five days there which was four days too long!! The suites are tiny and the noise outside horrendous. It is nicely placed just across the road from the beach but the muzak which is supposed to stop at ten pm doesnt. Its sole redeeming feature is the food which is strange as the head chef left when the hotel changed hands. I believe that it will reach the Ritz Carlton standards but not yet

3  Thank millbrook
Write a ReviewReviews (1,681)

Reviewed December 7, 2008

Originally, our one night stay at Ft. Lauderdale's Ritz-Carlton (very new, just took over what was the also very new Regis Hotel) was meant to be a romantic getaway and a splurge. It turned out to be a very romantic getaway, first rate in every way, but the price was rather surprisingly low (perhaps the economy?); I think we paid $239 for a semi-ocean view room. Fantastic value for money.

This hotel occupies part of a rather scruffy section of Ft. Lauderdale's seacoast and the hotel, contemporary and sleek, was so large -- and with so many places to hang out you didn't have to leave (except to go to the beach). Being there reminded me a bit of being on a cruise ship -- everything we needed, save for misc. stuff from the 24-hour CVS pharmacy-liquor store-food shop next door, was here. There's a restaurant (had a lovely lunch outside on the terrace; though the hotel is not right on the beach, a main road runs between the two). The pool area has a grill for lunch fare (delicious). The bar, with a fantastic, huge and atmospheric oil painting of an ocean view behind the bar, offers tapas-like fare at night (and there's a singer and did I mention that it was, er, romantic?).

One of the really interesting aspects of the hotel is that the pool area, which is on the 7th or 8th floor and so is above the street, is designed so that it sort of curves out into the roadway -- and so when you're up there, you can neither hear nor see the street. It's all ocean vista. Brilliant.

The spa is lovely; had two treatments, one of the best massages ever (just a Swedish, but thorough and thoughtful -- for instance, after the treatment the masseuse cleans your feet so that you're not sliding around on marble floors with oily feet). Also had a pedicure; the manicurist was a little less…cheerful…and it felt a bit like going to a dentist's office. But it's lasted way longer than usual.

The best part was our room, which was a lovely lemon-colored oasis. We showed up at noon -- hours before check-in -- and were greeted warmly and told that our room wasn't yet ready but would we mind an ocean view instead?

Service was consistently exceptional.

One of the nice things about the room layout is that you have a fairly long hallway (makes it feel bigger than it is). The bathroom has a soaking tub and shower. There's a small flat screen in the bathroom though ours didn't really work and we didn't really care. The bedroom is cozy, great bed, flat screen television, mini-bar, and deep balcony with a small table for drinks and snacks.

We were in the room on the southernmost side of the hotel and I point that out because we were, on the 9th floor or so, just above and north of the commercial fans of a casual restaurant down the street. We could smell the grease probably 18 hours a day and the fan was noisy. Didn't impact inside the room but was noticeable outside. Still, we loved it, considering we paid for something on the other side of the building!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carolyn S
Reviewed December 1, 2008

. . . . was better when it was St. Regis. I don't think they have the management worked out here yet. Still very good, but used to be awesome. Brand new building. Very well designed.

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed November 25, 2008

I wish this site would allow 1/2 stars, because for the most part my stay here was very nice. I stayed for 4 days. This hotel used to be a St. Regis and they are in the process of still changing everything over to a Ritz. To start with there are no street numbers on the building and the (very small) sign is tucked away on a side street. I had an address and directions and still managed to pass by the hotel twice. It was night and the sign is not lighted. When I mentioned this to the valet he said that yes that is a problem. The best advice I can give is to turn west off of A1A by the "Silver Seas" lighted sign, then you will see the Ritz circle drive. When I did check in I was upgraded from a deluxe room to a jr suite. At other Ritz Carltons when the bell hop takes you to your room they give you a brief set of directions on where things are located and how to get around. At this location the front desk person just pointed to the elevator and gave me my room number. So, when I wanted to go to the pool I had to call to find out how to get there. It is on the 7th floor and not marked in the elevator. Also, I had to call to find out where and how to access the business center. When I needed ice I again had to call to find out where the ice machines were located and was told that there are none on the floors and that they would bring me some ice. At other Ritz Carltons they fill your ice container as part of the nightly turn down service...not this one. When I did call for the ice it was 9pm, two phone calls and 55 minutes later I got my ice. I chose a rate that included breakfast and valet parking. When I got my bill the last day I had been charged $30 per day for valet parking....I took this to the front desk & they removed it right away. The DVD player wasn't working in my room & when I mentioned it to the front desk there was a man w/a new DVD player in my room in about 5 minutes. The pool area is very nice. The chairs are quite large & comfortable. The hotel's website mentions that there is an elevated cross walk to get to the beach & there is but it is out of order due to some city permit. So, you will have to go through the lobby & cross the street to get to the ocean. The street isn't too busy though. The Ritz doesn't have chairs at the beach, but there is a vendor there that you can rent a chair from. The building itself is really beautiful and impecably clean. The maid service was top notch. The restaurant was good (only ate breakfast there). There are a few bars an restaurants within walking distance and a CVS pharmacy right next door which is convenient. All in all a very good stay, they just aren't consistant with the level of service that one would expect. No body is tripping over themselves to open doors for you like they do at other Ritz Carltons I've stayed at. I am assuming this is because they just changed from St Regis to Ritz. So, in short there is a need for improvement when it comes to 5 star service. I would give this hotel another try though.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank sweetiedahling
Reviewed November 16, 2008

After doing much research we ended up staying at the Ritz Carlton (formerly the St. Regis) and we were extremely happy with our choice. We got a great deal on a package through their website (finalized by calling their central registration)--average night price (went up on weekend) was $299 including breakfast for two every day (value: $60/day), free valet parking (value:$30/day) and $25 resort credit per day (despite the written limitations on this, they let us apply it to anything on our bill including drinks). I am sure this price would be different in high season (we were there Nov. 6-9) or if the economy weren't so awful right now, but nonetheless, compared to other 5 star hotels in the area, it was a great price. I called in advance to tell that we would be celebrating my husband's birthday and they upgraded us to a gorgeous ocean view room with balcony and had an amazing frosted cake for him in our room. We wanted to save the cake to bring to a friend's house for dinner the following night so they brought a refrigerator (no charge) to our room. The service was phenomenal, as one would expect from a ritz carlton. No one was snotty, in fact quite the opposite. Food was excellent, albeit pricey. Although they are across the street from the beach, they do have a pedway bridge + elevator built to access the beach from their pool area, but that is not yet open while they are negotiating with the city of Ft. Lauderdale to keep this access restricted to hotel guests despite the beach being public. They stock the room with Bulgari soaps and products, the bed and linnens couldn't have been more comfy. I didn't have one complaint other than our visit there being too short!

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed November 10, 2008

Spent a wonderful weekend celebrating a friend's birthday in Fort Lauderdale. The Ritz-Carlton, converted from a St. Regis (though you'd never know), is a city hotel at the beach. It's not resort-y, its small, upscale and has an urban feel. The best part of the hotel is the pool deck on the 7th floor. We spent most of the weekend lounging on the great chaise lounges looking out over the caribbean blue waters. The infinity style pool is perfect for cooling off and the deck is also great for people watching.

I don't like Fort Lauerdale Beach...it's too busy for me, but I certainly enjoyed the views from The Ritz-Carlton!

The rooms are very nice, plush/ elegant. I think most of the hotel only has king beds but the rooms are great. TVs int he bathroom, typical ritz amenities, etc. We ate at the pool bar---typical food but did not visit the hotel restaurant.

If I returned to Fort Lauderdale, I would ONLY stay at The Ritz-Carlton!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2008

I live in Fort Lauderdale and I wanted to do something special for my fiance's birthday. I couldn't find anything in Fort Lauderdale to do so I remembered the great food and service of the hotel. My fiance is in the restaurant business so taking him to any restaurant just wasn't good enough. I wanted our dinner to be memorable.

I contacted the hostess Lydia and she helped me plan every detail of the dinner. She was remarkable, helpful, detail oriented and thorough. I called two days before the dinner and she was accomodating for all the special requests. We had a romantic cabana dinner with roses, flowers, balloons, candlelight and music. Everything was taken into consideration and everything was perfect. Our server Jon was impressive. He knew so much about the food and how it was prepared. He also made great wine pairing recommendations. His service was flawless. He also took a lot of pictures for us to preserve the momet.

One of the highlights of the night was the special birthday cake that was arranged for us. My fiance's favorite cake is carrot cake and the Pastry Chef made an unbelievable carrot birthday cake ---the best ever!!

We had such a great time and I am so happy with the results that I feel that I just have to tell everyone. We will definitely be going back. The staff helped me make this an unforgettable night.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple