“Nice hotel, good service”

The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #5 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Very nice hotel , beach front. Spacious room with a big comfortable bed. Nice view from a pretty large terrace. Unfortunately we got to spend just one night on the way to Bahamas . It was pretty quite when we were there, doesn't look like a party place , which was perfect for what we needed. Not too fare away by cab Morton s steakhouse !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EleUdinTrip

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely over exceeds expectations. From Austin at the pool bar to Sarah at the front desk, every employee makes sure you are really truly on vacation! If you can splurge, stay on the club floor. Their club lounge is one of the nicer Ritz lounges I have been to. The lounge manager and her staff and great. I'm looking forward to visiting again soon!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank dwmobile
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I were looking to get away for a weekend. After thoughtful consideration - I noticed via the Marriott site that the Ritz in Ft. Lauderdale had a "VIP" package available for the weekend that included complimentary valet parking, a $100 resort credit, and a $25 gift card to spend in Ft. Lauderdale. We've stayed at Ft. Lauderdale before (Hilton up the beach) and considered the Hilton, but since it was just the two of us, I thought a trip at the Ritz would be nice.

Our check-in was fine - I understand the communication between the bell desk and the front desk - so when you come in - they immediately tell the front desk you're name - so when you arrive to the front desk they greet you by name - which is a good touch. It wasn't busy at all - so we were able to get a room as well. We were put on the 11th floor - King Ocean View - but what I paid for was a "full" ocean view - but what I got was a partial ocean view because all I saw to the left of me was windows and balcony from the King Suite that jets out towards the ocean. Needless to say - I was disappointed by the view......but felt hopefully things would be better.

Before I picked this hotel - I read the reviews of this hotel and considered things - and felt that maybe people were just a bit harsh on their opinions - but after considering that this is suppose to be a "Ritz" property - I now understand their points......let me elaborate.

I understand the comments about the carpets being dirty - they are - especially around the bed area where people tend to walk more. Most of this dirt comes from the balcony when people go outside - and bring it into the room. There is a small piece of wood flooring near the balcony - but the dirt stays on your feet because I took it into the shower with me.

Speaking of the shower - the bathroom is where they messed up as well. They try to provide the best of both by putting in a soaking tub with a shower head in the tub - and glass partition that doesn't keep the water from the shower inside the tub. It's almost 3 feet for you to climb up and over in order to get into the tub and take a shower - with NO BARS or anything to hold on to getting IN or OUT. The thing that struck me - besides all the water that gets all over the marble floor while you're taking a shower - is the older patrons in this hotel trying to get in and out of the tub to take a shower or bath. I'm really shocked that the tubs are this high - and anyone with knee or back problems could find themselves NOT taking a shower during their stay. This hotel really needs to consider this in the future.

The remainder of the room was adequate at best. The prices for the wine/drinks is overrated. The snack options were simply placed in a drawer - like someone just put them in there. The only nice thing about my room was probably the bed. Even the remote was difficult to navigate.

Now - you may be one of those viewers who looks at this and says - "this guy just had a bad stay". To that I would say no.....it simply doesn't measure up to paying $500 / night. You're better off staying at the Hilton or the Courtyard. You can get the same amenities you get at those hotels you are getting at the Ritz - and you're paying much less.

As an example - the pool was no different than the Hilton or Courtyard. It is simply a round pool - no jacuzzi. The service around the pool is adequate. In many cases you have the same habits at other resorts where people come out and put their towels and sunblock on chairs and then leave to go back to their room and sleep some more. The attendants aren't that friendly. Management should have the same ear pieces for them so that someone is at the pool desk to greet you - and then they can call an attendant to help you with your seat - and they call you by your last name - the same for the people that serve you drinks/food at the bar. There should be "zones" put in place so that you ALWAYS feel special - because this is a Ritz Carlton.

I even tried to reserve a cabana for our stay. I visited the Ritz site - put in my information and was NEVER contacted by anyone as to whether they had one for me or not......and only a couple were being used. Management here is REALLY missing the point with communication.

The other comments about the spa are true - it's not a workout area - which is a great disappointment, considering how many people at this resort were in shape. Really - it should be one of the key aspects to the resort, especially when the pool looks no different than a Days Inn pool (oh did I mention you need to make sure you get out early to get into the sun because by 4pm - the sun goes behind the pool and you can't get anymore sun unless you go to the beach).

We didn't even try the restaurant - we ordered room service and that was probably the highlight of the trip.

SO.......based upon the "Ritz" experience......would I recommend this hotel to a friend - after staying at the Hilton, Courtyard, Westin and the Sheraton in Plantation Florida - NO WAY- these other hotels ALL have more to offer for a better price. The Westin - even if the room is smaller- when it says full ocean view - at least you get it. The pool at the Sheraton in Plantation FL is a roof top pool - so you don't have to worry about losing the sun at 4pm - the Hilton has more spacious rooms and nicer balconies and the Courtyard offers the best dollar for a Marriott Rewards member.

Room Tip: IF you do a KING OCEAN VIEW - request a room at the SOUTH end of the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank defore4735
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed here for a quick 3 day weekend with our 3 year old and 15mo old. That lone is a recipe for disaster sometimes and this was by far one of the top trips we have taken with the kids. We are gold members so we were upgraded to a King ocean view suite which i am sure is a lot of money usually but man o man was it a gorgeous room. Seperate kitchen and living area and a HUGE patio and a great king room. It was perfect and the way the room are positioned you feel like you are on a luxury cruise ship...all you can see is ocean.

When we arrived they came out with a huge wagon of toys of the kids and allowed them to choose something...which won everyones heart. They were so accommodating the entire trip. The food was great and the property was meticulous.

I guess the ONLY con i can think of is if your a big beach person this might not be the BEST ritz for you. The beach is public beach (very close and clean but public) so it wasnt the best beach we have gone to.

but service and ammenities win me over so this gets 5 stars from us!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Melissa E
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton several days before a cruise and it is a lovely hotel. Our room faced both the ocean and the ICW and the views at night were breathtaking, just like a miniature Christmas village. The pool is located on the 7th floor and it overlooks the ocean. If you go make sure to say hello to Marc and Daniel they are awesome. We had the turkey club for lunch several days and it was delicious. There are ample chairs and the pool was just cool enough to be refreshing. The fitness center is a little small and we found that only one of the three treadmills were working even after mentioning it to the front desk several times. Aside from this minor issue we found everything else to be perfect. I do have to mention that there is very little insulation between you and your neighbor out on the balcony and we found that we couldn't really sit out there with any kind of privacy. Be forewarned!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean and the ICW because the view is breathtaking. Not sure what they ca...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I attended a conference here for 3 days. My husband and I usually stay at Marriott or Starwood properties, so this was the first time we stayed at a Ritz. The lobby was beautiful and the staff were extremely helpful and polite. Our room was on the 10th floor facing the intercoastal. The room was a very good size - it had a separate living area, bedroom, and a large bathroom. Bathroom had a separate tub from the shower, granite counter tops, updated tile, fixtures and even a small flat screen. On the nightstand, there is a fancy touch screen pad where you can control lights, room temperature, etc. There is a huge balcony on the back which was really nice. The room was nice and big but some of the furniture was a little nicked up and there were some pretty big stains on the carpet. Couch and chair in living area wasn't super comfy either. It was not easy for my husband and I to fit on the couch to watch tv. Only other option was to sit in the straight backed chair with no armrests. I expected this hotel to be in top condition with some of the prices they charge at these facilities. When we first opened the door to our room, the cleaning crew had left 2 large bags of garbage. I found someone in the hall and they apologized profusely saying it was supposed to be picked up earlier and that the room had definitely been cleaned.

The location is great - right on the beach. There are several touristy restaurants and bars along A1A that are within walking distance from the hotel. Las Olas Boulevard is very close as well and there are a ton of restaurants and shopping to choose from there. There is also Galleria Mall located a few miles from the hotel too.

I saw on their website that parking was $32/night. Fortunately, I didn't get charged because I was there for a conference. Always good to know about the additional costs you might incur. I was also able to earn Marriott rewards points for staying here.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rachel C
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Spent a weekend with my husband here April 12-14, 2013. This was my first trip to a high end hotel chain, so I really expected exceptional service. However, I found that was not the case. Upon check in, there was no guide to hotel services/amenities in our room, so I called the front desk and requested one to be brought up. It never was. So we never knew what time meals were available or how many restaurants thre were. This hotel is not secluded, it is right on Beachfront Avenue A1A. The private walkway to the beach smelled like urine. On our second day, there were early morning thunderstorms. The management refused to open the pool or staff the bar hours after the storms ended -- even though 30 -35 people were lounging around and sunning and swimming. No towels or drinks/food for quite a while. We had to call for maid service one day as by 7:00 pm our room still had not been cleaned. Our bed was not heavenly -- it was quite hard in fact. I did not sleep well. Our tub/shower had a ridiculous glass half door which did nothing to contain the shower water. We layed 2 bath towels down each day to shower. The interior decor, both in the lobby and our room, was wonderful. It was a shock to pay $18 for a current release pay per view, Django. I don't have much more to say, good or bad, about this hotel. Thank goodness we were on the strip so we could walk to restaurants and cafes. The ocean is warm and fantastic! To me, we could have spent our money better. Certainly not worth the $500 or so per night we paid for it!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple