“Great service!”

Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Golden, Colorado
“Great service!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

While this venue is not the most opulent in the Ritz stable, it certainly measures up in service excellence. Upon checking in, I was told they had a very nice king with a view of the inland waterway...I asked for an oceanview if available and stated I was willing to pay up to get it. I was attending an industry event and had a discounted room, and expected a better room might be hard to come by.

The registration gentleman looked -- and looked -- and lo an behold he found an ocean view at not additional charge! That is a remarkable effort and my hat is off to Jeffrey for his diligence. The room was a corner room at that with a great lanai. It was spotless and the furnishings were absent any flaws. It was quiet, housekeeping was unobtrusive and the shoe service did its work quite well.

Catering at our event was professional and the food was more than acceptable. Upon checking in I was asked what newspaper I preferred...the WSJ. The next morning there was a Financial Times at my door. I called Guest Services and said I had requested the Journal and she explained/apologized that they had run short...and...that they would run over to the CVS next door to get one for me. Five minutes later it was at my door!! Breakfast on the day of departure was quite good with attentive service and seating either on the patio or indoors.

While the facility itself is not palatial...the service befits royalty. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Corner room facing the ocean is quiet and quite spacious
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank anasoll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Denver, CO
Reviewed February 11, 2013

In December, my husband and I stayed here for a romantic one-night and one-day visit.

LOCATION

The sea-faring design theme that can be found throughout the hotel is not surprising given the property's location just across from my favorite white sand beach in Florida. The Ritz is one in a line of many hotels along the coast, but has the advantage of a walkway and elevator to allow guests to bypass crossing the busy road and exit directly from flooring to sand. The beach is absolutely beautiful, clean and usually uncrowded. In the many times I've experienced it, the ocean has been warm, regardless of the time of year.

ROOMS

When choosing your room, note that there are two enviable views from this hotel. One is the ocean view and is probably the best option if you've chosen a hotel in this area specifically to be near the beach. But, don't forget the fascinating waterways in Fort Lauderdale. A view of these can mean seeing jaw-dropping yachts sail by! At night, the lights that bounce off the canal water are magical.

All the rooms in the hotel have high-quality furnishings, lovely finishes, high-thread-count sheets, and a technologically advanced touch-screen system (the Guest Digital Assistant) that controls requests to housekeeping such as "Do Not Disturb," temperature control and lighting control.

BEYOND ROOMS - CLUB LEVEL

Because our room was on the Club Level, we dressed up and headed there first for coffee to fuel the evening. The club area is much more than a lobby extension, it is a tasteful and comfortable place to relax and eat.

When we arrived just before dinner time, the staff welcomed us warmly and pointed out the hors d'oeuvres. After trying a few absolutely delicious bite-sized dishes and finding an unoccupied nook with a comfy couch and big-screen TV, we decided to forgo leaving the hotel and stay right where we were for our date. An industrial-sized hot beverage machine kept us supplied with hot chocolate and coffee while we snacked on what the chef had prepared. The wonderfully friendly club attendant let us know when desserts were ready and we sampled as many as we had room for while we enjoyed an episode of Seinfeld neither of us remembered until late in the evening. In short, we had the perfect date night.

MY RECOMMENDATION

I say - go! This is a great hotel across from a very nice beach in the best city in Florida (my opinion). Be sure to get a room with club access and a view of the waterway.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lori M
Florida
Reviewed February 10, 2013

When you arrive at RC FtL the valet is attentive and remembered us by name,opening doors and offering bottles of cold water. Making your way through the opulent marble lobby with the fresh flowers you will find yourself at the august Wine Bar where the sommelier, Jose, can lead you region by region through wine to find what juice fits your palate best.
Try the wine pairing dinner with a tour through the well appointed cellar.

Room Tip: Try the WIne Bar
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Colleen O
Midrand, South Africa
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The hotel is well located across the road from the beach; of course there are better located hotels that are ON the beach and a fairly "private" beach at that but this one is well located in a "lively" part of Fort Lauderdale so you have the best of both worlds - life and the beach. The room was a partial view suite with a lounge section and a very well appointed bathroom. The suite has a fully integrated digital control system a-la "automation" controlled from the pedestal next to the king bed.
Breakfast was good but could have been great if it were better organised with more diverse choice - it's just not really very well put together but it does serve the purpose well; one would have expected more from a Ritz though. The service at breakfast from the staff is great though so this does help. Again, excellent bathroom!
We were straight off a Seabourn Cruise and feeling like resting before a flight to NYC the next day so we have room service dinner; room service was very good and the food was well prepared; as a post-cruise hotel.

Room Tip: Full sea-view would be best, higher up. Automation system is very convenient, affording virtually fu...
1 Thank Doc-Dee-Zee
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at the Ritz-carlton Ft. Lauderdale a Saturday and Sunday Night in January and had a wonderful time. We had two rooms (since we brought guests with us) and both rooms were spacious and well appointed. One of my favorite parts about the hotel was that our bellman showed us how to control the lights and temperature of the room from the phone display. He also gave us a helpful tip that if the balcony door was not latched the air conditioning would not run. The club lounge had great food and drinks available and all the staff up there were extremely helpful. We enjoyed our stay and will be back on our next trip to Ft. Lauderdale.

2 Thank Willowvacay
Boston, MA
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I will say that I used to stay at this property with my ex when we visited Fort Lauderdale. While the rooms are not as luxurious as some of the other Ritz properties I've stayed at (with the exception of the bathroom which is top notch if you get one with the sep. tub and shower) it is still a great place for the luxury minded traveler to stay in Ft. Lauderdale Beach who want to avoid cooler toting Larry the Cable guy types and younger spring break type crowd.

My issue with this property is that they are very sketchy with their Rewards redemption through either Marriott or Ritz rewards. I tried to book a room using my rewards points and even though plenty of standard rooms appeared for paid bookings, it would only allow me to book an oceanfront suite with my rewards points which for one night would cost the equivalent of a 3 night stay. It said regular rooms were not available for reward nights.

I was closing a business deal in Miami and decided to use my points to stay one extra night in Fort Lauderdale Beach ... but apparently not at the Ritz, even though there is PLENTY of availability. I had planned to spend a lot of money in the bar/restaurant by taking my team out after the closing but apparently the hotel would rather have $419 for a room than the reward points I accumulated for being brand loyal and any money I would spend on property. (those $18 cheeseburgers and $9 beers by the pool add up)

My suggestion for this hotel is to honor your guests using reward points as well as though willing to pay for the rooms. In the end, brand loyalty and travelers who seek out Ritz and Ritz-brand properties will spend a LOT more money with your brand over the years than someone booking a room for one night because they are taking a cruise.

I even had the reservationist I spoke with call the hotel to see if they would honor a rewards reservation for a standard room because there were plenty showing up ... but the manager of reservations at the hotel told her they would not be able to honor this. I guess that right there shows you exactly how good the customer service is at this hotel.

I suppose I will look into switching my brand from Marriott Rewards to SPG because at least they honor their top tier level guests looking to make stays with reward points. And I will skip the celebration drinks at the Ritz and go somewhere like the bar at the W Hotel instead. Just because it tells you there are rooms available for 50,000 points on the Marriott site, don't expect that to be true. When you further investigate you will find that it will take almost 150,000 points to book the room because they don't offer standard rooms to anyone but paying guests.

The overall vibe of the hotel is like a cruise ship ... it was inspired by a luxury liner, so you can almost expect the lobby to look like something from a cruise ship. Lots of marble and polished brass. It is classy but stark and minimalist. The rooms are kind of drab and could use some color, although the views from the balcony are great. The pool is very small and crowded but has plenty of attendents to provide towels. Overall, I can't complain about the hotel ... just its management.

Room Tip: Dont use reward points to book one!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank LovinHotelLife
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am a Ritz Carlton fan. However, I was less than impressed with the Ritz in Fort Lauderdale. The quality of serivce you come to expect at all Ritz properties was inconsistent. It began with a less than enthusiastic bellman as we arrived. We traveled with another couple and we arrived at different times yet when we discussed our arrival we both had the same experience with the same bellman. My check-in however, was very pleasant. We paid for an ocean front/view room and requested a high floor, which we recieved. When we got into the room I sat on the bed only to find out that the duvet and insert was wet, not damp, but wet. My husband called the front desk and they informed him someone would be up immediately. After unpacking and waiting 30 minutes, I called the front desk again and was told a manager was on her way. The manager arrived five minuted later with a duvet cover in hand. When we further inspected the duvet she realized it was completely wet and needed to be replaced. Fifteen minutes later someone else showed up to change the bedding. I had also requested slippers from the manager and was told they only provide them if the guest ask. What and why! This is the Ritz and it's a guest expectation that the room have robes and slippers. Did I say I was paying $600 per night. Our view was great however, the furniture showed visible signs of wear and tear i.e. scarring on the furniture. Additionally, the bathroom only had one sink and it was small. There was a separate water closet however, the shower and tub were not separate. To access the shower was extremely ackward. To reach and turn the shower on you got wet in the process because of the design. Additionally, the little knob to pull the shower on was completely rusted. I shared with the hotel before we arrived that we were celebrating my husband's 50th birthday. After dinner when we arrived in the room it had been turned down and waiting for us was a bottle of champagne and chocolate cake. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! The next morning we went to the Via Luna restaurant for breakfast and unfortunately, the inconsistent service continued. The restaurant was not crowded however, we waited 10 minutes after being seated before we were offered coffee. Additionally, I had to get up and share this frustration with the hostess before we even recieved the coffee. After another 15 minute wait they delivered a plate of fruit and yogurt as an apology for the long wait. Our total time in the restaurant for breakfast was an hour and twenty minutes. The coffee and food once it arrived was great. The evening concierge was very friendly and helpful in suggesting restaurants and making reservations. Two times we called ahead for our car that was valet parked (as recommended by the bell staff) and both times had to wait considering we called ahead and there were no other guests waiting.The attendants at the beach were very helpful with lounge chairs, towels and water. Wish there was bar service at the beach. We did witness non Ritz guest paying the attendants in cash for lounge chairs. I don't know if this is the policy. What if paying Ritz guests wanted seats yet there weren't any because they were given to non Ritz guests. This seemed like they were taking bribes for seats. Our breakfast service on the second and third days were exceptional. Very prompt and friendly and exactly what one expects from the Ritz staff. Water was offered each time we retrieved our car. Overall, this was not a bad experience, just not as special as I had wished and have come to expect and experience at the Ritz chain. I don't know if I will stay at this property if I travel back to Fort Lauderdale. The price just didn't match the overall experience.

1 Thank jazzycazzy36