“Great Hotel, location a bit down market” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale

You added The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Credit + Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 135 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, location a bit down market”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

The hotel is possible the best on the beach front, lovely reception area and bars. Roof top pool excellent, good service and food. The rooms are very hi-tech all lighting and AC controlled by a bedside unit. Worth paying a little extra for a bigger room. The food in the only restaurant is not very good …just average but would have expected better from a 5 star hotel. The breakfast was an okay, but because it is a temporary set up, i.e. not a fully functioning buffet hot plates etc moved in and out of the restaurant each morning – it was not as expected.
I think unless you want to be near the beach better book a hotel downtown, as I found the beach front area a little down market.

Room Tip: pay a little more for a bigger room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ralph R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Location is ideal as the hotel is opposite the beach and next to a small retail complex with lively bars and shops. The informative and warm welcome from the front desk team makes you want to like the hotel and the bright, large room with dual aspect views of the sea did not disappoint.

The conceirge team was also excellent - arranging a hire car and booking hotels for us during our stay. The breakfast was very good, although prices were typical for a 5* hotel, and we walked to local restaurants for dinner each night.

The downsides are the slow and unreliable internet, the poor sound-proofing between rooms, the world's slowest lift that takes you to the beach walkway and the pool is also slightly small for the size of the hotel. It's also a little embarrassing to be informed that you are sitting in the 'Resident Owners' area of the sun deck and be asked to move. If hotel guest are going to be treated as second class citizens - then at least provide signs so we don't don't stray into the priviledged zone and upset the upper classes.

I still think it's the best hotel in the area and the staff really do work very hard to make your stay a pleasure - so I'd certainly use the hotel again.

4 Thank wotnominibar
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed here for 3 days...and with the cleanliness of the rooms, the comfort of the beds and bedding, the kindness of the staff, the views from the inter-coastal room (14th floor) and the central location to everything, we could stay for months! Highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area, its more than worth the price. The restaurant is also spectacular, everything we ate, from fruit to complicated dishes...delicious!

Room Tip: Inter-coastal rooms have beautiful views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JustCBE
Artesia, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We were in town for a wedding at the Ritz-Carlton July 7th 2012 and stayed at the hotel 2 nights. The staff upon arrival were very helpful and we were upgraded to an ocean view room on the 9th floor. The room was very nice....spacious for what was their smallest room at this property. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was also well appointed and spacious. Nice view of the pool area and the ocean off the balcony. The catered meals for the wedding were very good and they did a nice job with decorating.

The beach access was decent although it took a bit of a effort via 2 elevators. Facilities and staff on the beach were good.

Our only complaint (and is common amongst hotels of this star class) is the cost of various services here. Charging for WiFi at a hotel of this cost seems a bit over the top. The cost for valet service to park is also rather high (30$ per day). Everything is quite expensive here....again normal for hotels of this class...the bar and restaurant are very expensive (15$ for a glass of average wine at the bar for example).

Overall a good experience....the staff are top notch here and the rooms are very nice. Would stay here again if the price was right.

2 Thank JohnandJean681985
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I have been staying at this regularly since it first opened as a newly built St. Regis in 2006-2007. However for the first time it is now showing its age and to a certain degree neglect.

I want to emphasize I still like this hotel very much. The rooms and baths are particularly spacious and the staff remains as genuinely friendly as one could ever want.

My complaints concern first the operation of the Ritz Carlton Club which was truly disappointing and finaly a collage of just numerous little things that were wrong and individually did not seem all that bad but collectively made for a very unpleasant stay.

First on the RC Club. I have stayed at numerous Ritz Carltons in the past, however only once with a Club experience and that was last September at the Ritz South Beach. Well, was I impressed with the Club there. The six food and beverage presentations presented so many offerings you literally did not have to go anywhere to eat during your stay. But not here at the RC Club Ft. Lauderdale. Excepting breakfast where the offerings were pretty decent, there appeared at the remainder of the food and beverage presentations including light lunch, evening canapes, to be 1/4 the quantity that offered when I was at the Ritz South Beach. Believe me I am the last guy who is impressed only by quanity, quality and presentation are as or even more important to me. But there was just so little offered here at the RC Club FLL that I questioned why I paid the premium to have a Club floor room. Further, two nights in a row all the canape offerings were just Asian, sushi one night and Chinese the next. So what if you don't like Asian ? Well then you were out of luck.

Even little things like a shelf on the wall in the Club containing "snacks to go" like granola bars, etc was left empty for over 24 hours and in the end was never restocked at least prior to my departure from the hotel.

Finally, I had a lot of "little" issues with my room, a corner oceanfront. They included:
1. cigarette butt left out on the balcony no doubt from a previous guest.
2. Balcony railing having what appeared to be coca cola or something dripping all over it for about a foot and half
3. Huge sunken tub which is great but no bath bubble type solution offered or left out for it.
4. Coffee stains again "dripped" over the front end of the desk where I used my laptop
5. Pink "cosmetic" type stains on the bath room door that appeared to be permanent
6. Deck furniture on the balcony where the chrome was rusting and the wood slats were worn and warped (must be from the old St Regis days)
7. A malfunctioning digital bathroom scale that told me consistently I am 771 lbs when in fact I am 191 lbs.
8. A nightly turn down housekeeper who arrived at 5pm and when I asked if possible for her to return after we left for dinner at 7pm said "no problem" but then never returned at all!
9. A valet parking attendant who I suppose did not like I have about 20 keys on my rather long chain and took it apart, placing half of the keys tied to my rear view mirror and the remainder used to start my vehicle. Problem is they are now all out of a particular order that was created over years so now back in my routine day to day life when I need a particular key I spend minutes on end fumbling tyring to find it!

So very disappointed after so many years of being so pleased with the resort. Would I return, I am not sure. If I did, I surely would not pay for the Ritz Carlton Club again and beyond that going on an immediate housekeeping "inspection" upon entering my room rather than "discovering things" over the course of my stay.

• 2 of 5 stars
7 Thank Steelmuscle
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is a second review for this property, as we have already reviewed it last year. All comments noted in prior review still hold true. This hotel is very consistent in all aspects from year to year. This is our number one choice when we visit Ft Lauderdale, and look forward to more annual trips here. Linda Mormando, the front office manager is such a delight to deal with. She went above and beyond for us, when she realized we were returning guests and we were there to celebrate Valentine's Day. Not only did she arrange for a wonderful upgrade for us (we book our travel through Amex's Platinum Fine Hotels and Resorts Program), she had a bottle of wine and plate of chocolates sent up to our room, welcoming us back to the property this year! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and Linda deserves high praises and recognition for her fine hospitality. Thank you, Linda! (your "regular" guests from Port Jefferson, NY).

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms on a high floor are a MUST!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LongIslanderTravel
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I usually don't stay in Ritz Carlton properties because they have always seemed a bit stuffy to me in the past. Old money, old crowd, lots of wood. But this property clearly indicates they have another side to them. This is a very modern, bright hotel that delivered on the room and service. From the very beginning, the front desk welcomed us and really worked on getting us the best room possible. We reserved a partial ocean view room, which I didn't expect much from, but if you look at the photos, you'll see the views were incredible. We had a large balcony with chairs and a table that had sweeping views of the ocean, beach, and the waterway on the other side. The room itself was huge and beautiful, and everything worked perfectly. My only minor complaint was that a lot of noise from the hallway came through the door but some noise is to be expected in a hotel. I was impressed with the lobby restaurant - we ate there twice for dinner and once for lunch. Expensive, but worth it in my opinion. There are not a lot of upper scale choices within easy walking distance so it's nice to have that option in the hotel. Overall, I would definitely return for business or pleasure, and I will put Ritz Carlton back on my list for consideration in other cities.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple