“one day cruise”

Discovery Cruise Bahamas
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This is a round trip cruise From Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Everglades to Freeport, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas and back. $73 plus $48 port charges and taxes equals $121. per person. We always runs super specials.
NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“one day cruise”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2010

For the price of $100 it was fine. You can't expect fancy and grand food for that price. The pool was small filled w/ kids. Not enough lounge chairs and people just leave their stuff on it and never use it and don't let others use it. I don't think you need to save a lounge chair for a kid or just your clothes. Friendly Staff. Cheap alcohol. NOT ENOUGH TIME IN THE BAHAMAS. We only got to spend two hours in the Bahamas and it takes 20 min to get to the beach. Because I was with my friends, it was enjoyable. Next time, I would stay in the Bahamas at least overnight.

• Polish first
Winter Haven
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible Trip”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2010

First off we have cruised on real cruise sips before. We KNEW this was going to be a booze cruise and taxi service only to the Island, nothing elaborate...and that is all that it was. We decided to travel over Memorial Day Weekend...May 29 to be exact, just for something to do for the day. We opted for the Day Cruise...NOT a wise choice!!, everything was too rushed.

We boarded the boat at 7am, had the buffet breakfast as everyone does, it was a mad cattle rush...right from the get go they are offering champagne or memosas...very cheap tasting liquor offered.

From the buffet we walked the ship, that took all of 5 minutes, literally...for all of the floors...then we found a seat by the bar and by the DJ booth. We were offered drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic right from the beginning, and the wait staff was very prompt, but weak drinks and cheap alcohol served. We stuck with the Pina Coladas all day.

They did have "entertainment". Bingo, limbo contest, hula hoop contest, and a few other ship activities. It kept you entertained, somewhat.......the people watching was the best of all.

We did leave Fort Lauderdale on time and arrive in Port Lucaya on time (2pm) but were not allowed to leave the ship until around 330, they said they were waiting for customs to clear the ship....

We all (the whole ship) exited and all were hurded to taxis ($10.00 per person round trip) to get to town. If not you were allowed to stay by the ship and look at the lovely sights of the oil containers...we FINALLY got to the "town" about 4pm and had to meet the taxi at 5pm to make it back by 5:30, so we did not miss the ship and get left there......

All we had time for was to walk thru the straw market, which was mostly overpriced restaurants that sold American food, walk thru the casino, walk past the Radisson and walk thru the Our Lucaya Reef Village lobby..thats it!!!

After the taxi back on the ship we had the buffet dinner, few more drinks then went on the top deck and took a nap on the lounge chairs....we had a 3 1/2 hour drive back home....we got to Fort Lauderdale on time-@1030pm and we did not get off the ship until 1210am!!!(waiting for "customs" again)....

The wait staff was good and attentive, the food was ok-typical buffet slop, the ship was old with rust and small hallways but kept up pretty well for the age, the embarking and disembarking SUCKED....needs to be quicker and much more smooth!! and the time that you are told that you have on the Island needs to be ACCURATE!!!

IF you go, definately opt for the night (or multiple nights) at one of the Island Hotels......BUT, for a Floridian, for something to do for the day, not too bad for the $85.00 per day per person (with no extras........cabin, excursions... ... ...) I use this as my justification....it would have costed me about the same for food, alcohol and gas for my jet ski for the day, so, it was a wash, price wise, and I can add Freeport, Port Lucaya to my list of destinations I have been to and never want to return to...

1 Thank a23mookie
Havelock North, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Glass half full or half empty? - day trip”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

We booked this tour and then read reviews. It was lucky really that we had booked already because we would not have gone if we had read them first, and then would have missed out.
You have to remember that you are going into another country along with a boat load of people all at the same time so there are waiting times. I felt that they did a good job with what they had.
It is a very long day, picked up by mini-van at 7.15 then home again by 1.30 am. Time at Port Lucaya maybe 1.5 hours.
We were lucky to have a perfectly calm day and watched lightning over the sea coming back.
There is heaps to do on the boat and I enjoyed a movie, watching some good and bad karaoke, and learnt some latin american dance steps. The free drinks were as you would expect but other drinks were cheap. Staff were friendly and did not hassle for tips. We liked the food.

As long as you know it is going to be like that then it is worth the trip. I did not think the boat looked bad at all - in fact I think you must have had a very priviledged life if you don't think you are lucky to be able to do this

2 Thank XcellentAdventurers
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great Trip...Not sure what these other people are talking about!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2010

OK....so I had to write a review about the Discovery One Day Cruise. Like many of you reading all these bad reviews I was disgusted and thought to myself there is no way I am going to try this day trip. But after contacting a traveller whom had said a few nice things to say about the one day cruise (1 traveller of not many!); I thought I'm going to try this out and just go with the flow. So glad I did!

I was staying at the Clevelander and the bus came on time at 6.45am, and had about 8 other people in the van. The ride was about 30 mins or so to the port in Fotl Lauderdale.

We arrive at the port and line up to give our passports and pay for the trip, all of this was done quickly. We then collected our tickets and began out walk to the boat; on arrival we are greeted by the staff and told that they are serving breakfast. Breakfast buffet consisted of everything E.g eggs, pancakes, sausages, ham, toast, fruit...very nice and tasted good.

After breakfast you can then go any where on the ship that you like during its 4 hr travel time. I rented a cabin, and slept the whole journey as I had a late night the night before. The ship left on time.

We arrive in the Bahamas (1.30pm) and are greeted by the travel officials, whom direct us outside by the cabs. On the boat you are able to purchase tour excursions, but we just took a $10 dollar round trip cab as did many other people to Port Lucaya...which had nice little shops, bars, restaurants, a live band, and a nice beach. Nice atmosphere and the people are very friendly.

The cab came back at 5pm to collect people and we were back on the boat at 5.30pm; dinner buffet was then served at 7pm and consisted of chicken, lasagna, vegetables, steak, pasta, different types of salads etc... there was also fruit and cakes of all sorts.

We had a great time on the boat and could not believe why people where moaning so much. I mean you are going to the Bahamas for under $200, and to think your getting great buffet food, entertainment, friendly staff for that small amount, what else could you ask for. Me and my friend were constantly asking each other what are people really moaning about.

No its not a luxury cruise line, but its not terrible either. I would go again and I would recommend this trip to friends and family. I am not sure that others were expecting but I had fun and I am glad that I took a chance wit this trip.

Docking off the ship was quick and smooth. I had no tipping issues and tipped as I pleased, I didn't have any of the staff begging me to tip them. Yes they do have cards on the table "suggesting what you can tip" but you are not hounded to do so. Cabin was also a nice size for 2 people with comfy bedding.

I am one to moan if I think think something is terrible, but this surprised me and I am very glad that I took a chance with the Discovery One Day Cruise!

Everyones experience will be different, but to have all bad reviews on trip advisor can put anyone off, but just take a chance and see for yourself!

4 Thank lana23
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worse Boat I've Ever Been On!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2010

For mothers day weekend My mom and I opted for the one day cruise to the Bahamas. It was terrible.... The boat was like a old ferry boat that they converted into a "cruise" Everything was outdated and worn out. For example; in the movie theater room the seats were old airline seats complete with tray tables! All of the carpets were stained and old. The free buffet that they advertise is disgusting, high school cafeteria food. They did have some free drinks however there were better drinks on the menu that you had to pay extra for. the pool deck was outrageous, all the seats were pretty much stacked on top of each other and if you have a large group you'd better get there first other wise you are out of luck!
The day trip at the Bahamas was pretty nice once we arrived. We choose the beach excursion where we were escorted to a bar / beach lounge that had access to what looked like a private beach. It was beautiful. The food there was yummy wer had conch fritters and french fries, the staff there was great and the owner came around and introduced herself to everyone and asked if we needed anything which was a nice touch.
Once back to the boat we waited on long lines to get on the boat and were served dinner, again disgusting! Diembarking off of the boat was a total nightmare. Because we had to go thru customs they grouped all of the travelers in the "night club" portion of the boat. There were crying children because of course it's around 1am and they are all exhausted, and the staff pretty much ignored them. Instead of making an exception and letting the children off of the boat first they disembarked by groups, which left the large crowd with frustrated parents and screaming kids, in now what is a hot ,sweaty room because all of the travelers (100's of people) are all lumped together. There was alot of pushing and shoving and just insanity. What a way to end your night!
I wouldn't wish this nightmare on anyone!