“Nice but not good value”

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston
“Nice but not good value”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We - a 60 ish couple - spent 5 nights in March 2014. At over $300/night, this was at the high end for us, but we had some Hilton Points for a couple of free nights that made it more affordable.

The good: well located, a 10-15 minute walk to various restaurants; nice beach, although you have to cross the street to get to it; our room was upgraded after 2 nights from a King with no balcony to a room with balcony, ocean view, and kitchenette. We ate at the 6th floor restaurant and the food was excellent (the cost was defrayed by a $75 coupon we received for being kicked out of the swimming pool to make way for a wedding.

The not so good: getting a chair at the pool can be a scramble; the chairs in the pool were close together, not much privacy unless you rented a cabana; on the Sunday we were there they had a DJ blasting music so loud I had to leave; the King room didn't have a refrigerator; unless you were a Hilton Points member, internet was not free; movies very expensive; maid service didn't arrive until 4PM on our second day; only 1 shower towel per person; no reading lamps by bed in queen room; if you want to rent an umbressa and 2 chairs for the beach it would cost $44 per day; 2 elevators were not working for part of our stay

Room Tip: if you want to save some money and are willing to cook; get a room with a kitchenette; having a balc...
1 Thank Qwert1a
John A, General Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for taking time to post a review; we appreciate all guest comments, and share all feedback with our team members. I am pleased that you enjoyed your accommodations, as well as your dining experience in ilios Restaurant. I do apologize for some of the issues mentioned, and for the challenge with the elevators while they underwent some maintenance. We hope you can return in the near future. Regards, John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,175)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel. It's very well located, right across from the beach, and the pool is beautiful with a giant deck that faces the ocean. We were eager to check in after a long drive, but encountered a wait of almost two hours because the room was not ready. (This was not a last-minute reservation: we had set it up many months in advance.) We were given some vouchers for food and drink, which helped somewhat. However once they called us, we had to wait (again) in line to get our room, which seemed kind of ridiculous. The rooms are beautiful, well appointed and kept immaculately. The staff is great: everyone was very friendly and helpful, from the front desk to the restaurant to the pool staff. The fitness center is especially well equipped and up to date. There were only two elevators (out of four) in service for most of our stay, which meant for some long waits getting up and down during the day. The hotel has a car available to take you places for a flat fee ($12) in the area, but we found it cost more to use it than a cab would have (which we used for our return trip). The Ilios restaurant has very good food and we enjoyed the breakfast buffet there every morning, as well as a light dinner the night of our arrival. Overall, high marks again for this hotel: I'd just like to see the check-in situation revamped to eliminate the very long wait.

Room Tip: The junior suites and suites are especially nice and well equipped.
1 Thank KatienBill
Thank you for the review, and your loyalty to our Resort. We are pleased you returned a second time, and I'm happy to read that our team continued to provide you with friendly and helpful service. I apologize for the delays at check-in; I will share your feedback with our Front Office team for further review and discussion. Should you need assistance with future reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 954-414-2602. We hope to see you back soon!
Southport, North Carolina
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Ocean front 1BR condo had great view but pricey @$600-700 per night. I will not return and recommend that others stay @ "W" or Westin. I had issues with staff - NOT 4 STAR treatment - maybe 2. I do not like to request reg coffee instead of decaf, extra towels, etc, etc multiple times (also had broken shower). Food average and very pricey on site. Incorrect bill at Spa (overcharge) and was treated extremely rude when tried to correct. I have stressful a job and go on vacation to relax. I don't expect to have micromanage and argue with staff. I am so displeased that I've contacted AAA and requested that they audit 4 Star Review

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mike F
John A, General Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for taking time to post a review; we appreciate all guest feedback, and I apologize that you had a dissatisfied Resort experience. Your comments will help us to reevaluate and improve our policies and better serve our guests in the future. I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to speak with you directly. At your convenience, I can be reached at 954-414-2602. Respectfully, John
Lincoln, Ne
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We loved many things about this Hilton. Let me break it down for you. The service at this hotel is amazing. No request was too much, from extra pillows to glassware any call was answered and delivered quickly. The room itself was awesome. Large king with sitting area, kitchenette and balcony with ocean view. You will not be disappointed with the accommodations.

Breakfast was a highlight. Good service and a fantastic food spread. Yes we had coupons, but OMG, you will not be disappointed. So good. The pool side service is excellent: great mango rum drinks. We had the $17 burger and it was excellent.

The only downside was the pool environment itself. A bit smallish- the lounge chairs are crammed together, and if you are there when kids are out of school it will be full of Marco Polo playing youngsters. Go when school is in session.

I would recommend this hotel without reserve.

Q

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review about your recent stay; we are pleased that your experience at our Resort was enjoyable and comfortable, and that our team provided you with personalized service. We appreciate all the feedback, and recommendation, and hope you can return soon.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My wife and 2 daughters had a choice of many resorts between here and Miami. We are checking out tomorrow and had the most wonderful time. I'm sure the other hotels down the block are nice. The beach and ocean are the same but it's details and the consistently friendly and attentitive staff here at the Hilton that made all the difference. Jeffrey and especially Denton at the pool are great and very friendly. At the restaurant near the pool Kristian Georgiev was bend over backwards professional and accommodating. Always with a smile. And the management was quick to remedy any issue with a food order or whatever especially Anthony Coffey. Also I was very pleased with Vicki in concierge she has all the right connections. Sad the leave. We will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for north side if you like afternoon sun
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Erik S
John A, General Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for the review about your recent stay; I am pleased that our entire team provided you with personalized service. I will share your comments with all departments, and ensure that Jeffrey, Denton, Kristian, Anthony and Vicki receive the recognition they deserve for going above and beyond. We are glad to read that you'll be back; we hope to see you soon!
Boston
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Just ended another great stay at this hotel. While I've reviewed this hotel before, I had to write another mentioning a few outstanding people. First of all, let me mention that the hotel was fully booked, yet the staff handled this well. Responsive, gracious and accommodating was the norm. George at check in set the tone. He was so welcoming and pleasant. It was a great start. We enjoyed Ilios more this time around, taking advantage of their "Happy Hours" and great staff, starting with Scott Gardiner, Director of Food and Beverage. He started a conversation with us at the bar, asked how we were enjoying our stay and if there was anything he could help us with. Then he proceeded to bring out orders of french fries when their usual supply of chips was depleted. Little things but they go a long way in insuring customer loyalty. Finally, Daniel our bartender on all three occasions was great. Super friendly, sweet and committed to providing great service. He's probably the reason we went back to Ilios. The staff at S3 could learn something about customer service from this group. Thanks again Hilton.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
We appreciate the great review, and your loyalty to Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort. It certainly appears that your Resort experience was enjoyable and comfortable, and that our team provided the kind of service you should expect from us. I will ensure that we recognize George, Scott, and Daniel for the special attention offered during your stay. I hope you can return in the very near future. Regards,
Franklin, United States
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Don't plan on checking in on time and better read your bill closely before leaving. We were charged $46.64 for beach chair service that was never ordered. Breakfasts were great, pool was great, but left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at the front desk.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Charlie M
John A, General Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
We appreciate the candid comments about your recent stay; I'm pleased that you enjoyed our 6th Floor Sunrise Terrace pool area, and the wonderful breakfast buffet. I apologize that you had issues upon check-in and with billing. I sincerely hope our team was able to resolve the problem in an efficient manner. I will pass along your review to our Front Office team for further review and discussion. I hope you will give us another try; and if I can assist with future reservations, please feel free to contact me directly at 954-414-2602. Thank you, John.