“Some good, some bad”

Ranked #9 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Some good, some bad”
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

The Good
_Six pillows on the bed
_Large closet
_Large bathroom with under sink storage and an exhaust fan!
_Gorgeous views
_Better than average food from room service
_Very nice pool and bar area
_Convenient to beach

The Bad
_Housekeeping would not change out our drinking glasses. We had the same ones for three days. We finally went to the front desk and were assured we would get a liner for our ice bucket and clean glasses and mugs. Two hours later we returned to our room to find a new ice bucket liner and replenished toiletries but the same dirty glasses and coffee mugs.
_You have to walk through a cloud of sweat stench from the workout room to get to the breakfast diner as they are right across from each other. Not very appetizing!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Carmanning
Andreas I, General Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
I appreciate your comments posted on TripAdvisor; and apologize for the issues experienced with housekeeping. We have shared this with our Housekeeping team to better streamline the delivery process and to ensure that dirty items are removed and replaced in a timely manner. If we can assist with reservations in the future, please do not hesistate to contact me directly at 954-414-2602. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My family and I have been meeting here for years. Its always top notch and the staff is the best. All the rooms we have ever stayed in were beautiful and always clean. So much to do for all ages. The kids and the adults always have a good time, Being able to sit at the pool and see everyone on the beach in front of you is wonderful. The food at the pool and the sandiwches from the bistro on the beach level are always fresh and delicious. Great location for all the places you vant to visit and always the cleanest beaches. I cant wait for our next stay, I hear they are creating a new sky bar on the top floor. Wow that view is going the be the best. Go have fun, enjoy your stay and you will not want to leave. Thanks and have fun. TJ in Clarksville

Room Tip: The corner rooms have the best view from beach to intercoastal. The higher the better for me
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
I am very pleased to hear that our Resort has become your home away from home! Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review, and for sharing your comments about our rooms, the service, and our beautiful Fort Lauderdale beach. We are very excited about the plans for the Sky Bar too, and look forward to finalizing those details in the near future. Thank you once again for choosing the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort. We look forward to your next visit!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel in September 2012. We stayed in one of the corner rooms with a partial view of the ocean and the city. The room was spacious and very clean. The staff was very friendly. Starbucks at the lobby was great as you get free wi-fi. You can take the trolley to the galleria mall instead of the taxi and it only costs a couple of $. We had dinner at one of the steak restaurants in downtown Ft. Lauderdale. It was recommended by the hotel staff but we were not impressed. It was way overpriced and the food was average. Overall there isn't that much to do in Ft. Lauderdale so it is perfect for a quiet and relaxing getaway.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I'm staying on the property right now, through October 26th if I decide to stay any longer. It's only less than 16 hours since I've checked in and I can't say it's been a great stay so far.

Pro's - It's located on the beach in Fort Lauderdale and the rooms are spacious. Some of the staff are very good the rest, average. Reasonably priced.

Con's - Service is not consistent. Management seems indifferent to guest satisfaction, high guest turnover means elevators are often packed. The rooms are not kept immaculately clean.

I'm an experienced business traveler who has been staying in Hilton properties for more than 32 years (also Marriott, Westin, St. Regis, Ritz, Four Seasons, Intercontinental and Mandarin) and this is the worst experience I've ever had. Considering I average 100 - 150 nights in a hotel on average I guess it is statistically interesting that I haven't had more bad experiences.

I rarely (maybe 10 times in 32 years) have a negative experience. Ok, so what's the beef? First I'm the senior executive in my business, and have been doing this for a while. At least once per year, somtimes more, we hold an annual user group meeting for our customers. Based upon where we hold it, and when, we usually have between 300 and 1,000 attendees.

What I don't do is delegate the hotel selection to my events team, I select them myself instead. I also don't call the group reservations office in advance of my arrival to discuss my needs. Instead I visit a property, just as if I were a guest attending on of our events, and experience it the same way that they would. Meaning no special VIP status or special treatment is provided when I arrive to evaluate a property.

To be sure this property has a lot to offer in terms of location, local offerings (airport access, shopping, dining, nightlife, sightseeing and athletic facilities), the hotel has nice amenities including beachfront access.

But all of those things do not a good stay make. When I checked in the first thinig I did is what any of my guests of the fairer sex would do. I checked the bathrooms and sadly they failed the test. The countertops in both the powder room and the master bath were dirty with sticky soap, or toothpaste, residue visible in several places. Additionally, in the master bath the sink was dirtly and had long dark hair which stood out in stark contrast to the porcelin sink basin, so it wasn't had to see.

Ever wonder why the toilet paper in almost every hotel you go to is neatly folded into a triangle? That's the signature that guests expect to see which confirms that the bathroom was cleaned (and acordingly unused) before you arrived. Not here. Just a plain old ragged edged torn sheet.

Now I did what one of my guests would do. I called the front desk and asked to speak to a manager. After being placed on hold what must have been 4 - 5 minutes I was informed that a manager would call me back shortly. Sure enough within a minute I recieved a call back from someone named John. He didn't identify himself as a manager but proceeded to apologize and told me he would move me to another room and that he would offer a concession for my experience. The concession? A free breakfast coupon which as it turns out underscored yet another problem.

I was checked into the next room. I went through the same process. I found the same problem in the bathroom. I even showed it to the bellman both in the room I had just vacated and in the room I was transferred to. I wanted someone other than me to notify management. I don't know if the bellman did because I never heard anything else from John, or any other member of the staff that evening.

Next I ordered room service because I know my guests will eat in their room at least twice or more during their three night stay. My order was simple. Nacho's, soup and a ceasar salad. The nachos's were stale, the soup was very good and the ceasar was not edible. One for three on room service.

When the room service waiter arrived (about 30 - 35 minutes) he introduced himself and asked where I'd like the tray. I told him I'd like to sit in front of the television. He then informed me that I was missing a coffee table, and he was right, there was no place to put anything in front of the TV.

I eventually dedcided to call it a night without ever having heard from anyone to see if my room was acceptable, or if everything was in order although in two cases, the bellman and the room service waiter, both had an opportunity to inform someone that something was amiss.

The evening prior I stayed in a Marriott for the same purpose. Every single time I made a request of the front desk, i.e., "could I have an extra blanket" it was delivered quickly and within minutes I'd recieve a phone call from somone asking me if everything was satisfactory and asking if I needed something else. Kudos to Marriott for focusing on guest satisfaction. Hilton could take a few lessons from Marriott in this regard.

This morning I decided to visit the restaurant for breakfast using the coupon for a free breakfast that John (whatever his role may have been) generously provided the night before in apology for my bad experience. I have to say that the staff in the restaurant was very good. My waitress, Gladys, was very attentive, as was the hostess Kathrine(sp), frequently checking to see if I needed anything. Unfortunately I had a bad experience which was not their responsibility or their fault.

I picked up a plate at the beginning of the buffet, which is in an area that is dimly lit, moved through the buffet eventually coming to a spot that was very well lit with natural light. As I had only placed one item on my plate more than 90% of the surface was not covered and as a result I could see that 100% of my plate was dirty. Dirty with food stains and debris from a prior diner.

I handed Gladys the plate, showed her the dirt and went on with my buffet visit using another plate. Gladys apologized several times, which I really apreciated, but I never was visited or contacted by a restaurant manager even though I provided my room number in my gratuity for Gladys.

One of these experiences is an exception. Four of them a pattern (1st room bathrooms, 2nd room bathroms, second room furnishings, dirty plate in restaurant buffet). I know that running a business that deals with a high volume of customers is a challenge because I am in the same situation. I know there will always be situations where something fails to meet customer expectations but I also know that when there is an issue such as those I experienced that someone from management needs to address them to the customers satisfaction. I'm sorry to report that that is not what occured here.

The success or failure of my business requires that I, and all of my fellow employees, insure our customers are highly satisifed in every aspect of their interaction with us. I know my guests want a superior experience when they come to our user meetings and I know that a good hotel choice is the foundation of a good user experience. That's why I personally use this evaluation technique, as opposed to delegating to our events manager, in which I would be treated like an ordinary guest. It's worked well for the last three decades and thankfully I had this experience before I decided to book this property for our customer event.

Overall I think Hilton is a very good chain offering its guests a consistent standard of service, unfortunately this one is not up to par with the Hilton standard. Maybe I am just experiencing the random series of mishaps that occur once in a blue moon as the majority of comments regarding this property are positive. Good luck, I hope you have a better experience than I have.

Room Tip: Check your room carefully before you unpack and make sure that is meets your standards of cleanlines...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank P K
Andreas I, General Manager at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
First and foremost, we greatly appreciate your loyalty to our brand. We know you had many options to choose from while picking a perfect event venue and we appreciate that you’re previewing us. I am glad to hear you encountered some of our special team members such as Gladys and Katherine. We strive for all of our staff to offer such service. Please accept my sincere apologies for the cleanliness issues in both your guest suite and at our buffet. This is not a typical occurrence and I can assure you the parties involved will receive additional training in housekeeping protocols and customer service. I understand that beyond the cleanliness mistakes, there was no follow-through. We always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected and we have definitely missed the mark. We will contact you directly to discuss your experience and make things right. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience and can promise you that we will make the necessary improvements so this does not happen in the future. Thank you, Andreas Ioannou
Camas, WA
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is one of the best hotels I have had the pleasure of staying in. We stay in this property for over a week every year during the FLL Boat Show, a very busy time. We have stayed in a King studio, King Ocean View Suite, and a King Ocean Front Suite (where I happily sit writing this review). The rooms are all incredibly large, well equipped (kitchenette or full kitchen), and have a great view (in particular the Ocean Front). We especially appreciate the 2 bathrooms in the Ocean View and Ocean Front Suites. I also love the Peter Thomas Roth toiletries (especially the aloe calming gel).

The staff here is incredibly friendly, we had wonderful assistance from both Tina (prior to arriving) and Paula (during a late night check in). Everyone we have come into contact with from the maids to the valets has been eager to help and very pleasant. They really seem to value you as a customer and want you to have a great stay.

There are only a couple of improvements I would even suggest. First (and I guess this is a Hilton decision) make internet complimentary like it is at every coffee shop and 2/3 star hotel. Second add a few more hooks for wet towels/ect in the bathrooms. Lastly it would be nice to have a lounge chair in exchange for 2 of the 4 chairs on the Ocean Front room balconies. All small details that would enhance an already amazing hotel.

We have many choices of hotels to stay at in Ft. Lauderdale (many much closer to the boat show), but this hotel offers beautiful rooms, overlooking a beautiful beach, and great service at a good price. Therefore it has become our first choice.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Suites are amazing, 3 sliding glass doors opening to a large balcony and tons of windows...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Judy015
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Don't believe a lot of hotels that are hyped on this site on Ft. Lauderdale beach. Take this hotel and be surpised.

This hotel is a good renovation and has many extras. Examples are the spacious balconies and the little kitchenette that has all the appliances.

In addition, this hotel has a well trained staff that works hard at providing for hotel guest. And all of this at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Take a higher floor room facing the beach on the south side of the hotel. Note that the rooms with t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank agia
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I am big on staying at Hilton properties, as they value the satisfaction of their guest. But this Hotel stay was not short-stepping. Upon my arrival I was given the white glove treatment...and I do mean white glove!!! From valet, bellman, concierge, poolside staff...you name it. The only thing I wish I had more of at the hotel was TIME!!!! My next stay I want to enjoy more of the luxuries the hotel has to offer. The hotel was very newly renovated and clean. The employees knew the true meaning of customer service...especially Mark (bellman) and Jamie (concierge). I highly recommend this hotel to anyone that's traveling to Ft. Lauderdale area. Being on the beach, help with my morning job as it was refreshing...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends