“Are we in the same place?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coconut Bay Resort

Coconut Bay Resort
Ranked #62 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Boston, Ma
“Are we in the same place?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I've just read the recent reviews of Coconut Bay Resot and can't believe that I am in the same place. I am here exchanging thru RCI. Bedbugs, have never seen any. This is not our first trip here. Dirty feet, only if I walk outside without shoes. Our 1 bedroom unit is very well cared for, and clean. If I need something, I ask and it is here.

To address the housekeepers and not speaking English. Please remember you are in southern Florida with a very large Hispanic population. Some of them speak perfect English, some not, but there is always a friendly hello from everyone.

As far as the office. We could never feel more welcome or at home. You are family when you are here. No, this isn't a huge resort with waterslides and acres of waterparks, but it is like home. Remember, location in this neck of the woods is the word, and Coconut Bay has that.

Would we come back. I guess so because we are already booked for next year

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank beej

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

There website says " Book with confidence don't risk showing up at a resort that is nothing like the website. Check our excellent reviews at trip advisor and virtual tourist. Customer reviews are one way to prove we beat the rest!" With that said the floor wasn't mopped properly and our feet were black when we would get out of the shower and walk to the bed. The staff would stand outside our window witch was right across the hall from the office and laundry area. The would complain about the greengo's and how they "serve" us. Slam the door's,? yell and leaning on the window where I was sleeping. I ask them to be quite at 7:30am and it seemed to make things worse! When I asked for a fitted sheet for the sofa sleeper, the front desk GIRL told me"we don't use those and haven't for 25 years." When I asked for a mattress pad, she promptly explained that those are not needed. I asked what do you us to protect the guest from the same mattress everyone else slept on because I don't want my face touching where everyone else's has she answered with "The only difference between a fitted and a flat sheet is the little part that holds it. . ." I cut her off and said I don't need to be told the difference on the 2 thanks. The employees All park up front by the rooms and make the guests (mostly elderly) park in the back. Everyone here barley speaks English and if they do they are VERY RUDE. Oh and no DVD players. Not kid friendly. But at the sales presentation they claim to be the best investment in town.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank savyfox

Travelers are raving about these Fort Lauderdale hotels

Sebastian, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

I own a timeshare there. Have been there twice and am a pretty experienced traveler (and used to live in Ft. Lauderdale)so a lot doesn't bother me. I can smile and go with the flow---but some things can really ruin a stay. My unit is on the second floor by pool---negative here are the people smoking (especially) cigars by the pool--smoke drifts up to me. Lots of elderly people from all over that drive down here and monopolize the pool area. The chlorine they put in the hot tub was so strong it took out all the color in the top of my new swimsuit. The trash chute that people use to dump their trash into and falls into the dumpster below--right under my unit--is next to my front door. The trash truck comes at 6:18 in the morning and the horrible noise is right under my window as they go through the whole process. Then the trash and back areas of the 2 restaurants facing Sunrise and backing up to our parking lot---well you get to hear their trash trucks too. Then you hear their kitchen staff out talking on their phones, them as they dump the bottles and cans in the dumpsters, then there were skateboarders on the driveways behind, and people from surrounding high rises out walking their dogs in the scrubby underbrush behind the restaurants. Then the fire station is right there---trucks come and go with sirens and beeping and the cops wait right there to nab speeders coming off Sunrise onto A1A. The first year I was there, the front desk called at 9:00 to make sure I was coming down for donuts (the sales RCI presentation) and woke me up. This year--I disconnected the 1970's desk phone with the message light that has been blinking incessantly for 2 years (at least). One night I got up at 3:45 to open my sliding door, and turn on ceiling fan---immediately the smoke detector alarm began screeching in spasms of 4 piercing screechs in a row--then stop--then start again. Finally went quiet. Think I smelled cigar smoke outside and guess it sucked in just enough. NO one to tell because the owners leave no information as to what to do in an emergency---believe me--they do NOT want to be bothered. Told the desk the next day and they sent a maintenance man up there---his answer was to not replace the battery in it, but to disconnect the whole thing and shove the wires back up into the alarm and take the battery with him leaving me nothing for protection! My old TV worked at first, but then couldn't get any power to it. I was informed that the unlabeled light switch way over by the front door operated the outlet to the TV. I had flipped it off thinking it was to an outside light. So I missed any TV at all one whole night. The maids congregated outside talking in the mornings, and that along with everything else---I needed to come home to finally sleep. I also noticed some bites on my legs---I didn't go to the beach, or spend anytime to speak of outside and never checked for bed bugs--but wouldn't surprise me. Don't know if this place is still in the RCI program---but they don't deserve it. The desk staff was ok at first, but when I told them about the alarm-- a gal came out and informed me I should have taken out the battery myself---I had no idea what kind of system they had---if nothing else leave a book with ALL the information I need to know in it--most places do. The pool and hot tub were open "dawn to dusk" on the sign. I made a big mistake of going down later in the evening at 9:00 to the hot tub. The owners wife came out and glared at me and set her stuff down and waited until I got uncomfortable and left before she'd come back out. No sitting in the tub and seeing the stars--even as a solo, quiet, person. I (like someone else on here said) REALLY wanted to like this place--but the scary tattoo parlors, adult shop and bars near it made me afraid to go out at night, the ongoing noise made it so I could never just open the windows and get the great breeze off the ocean. It is close to the Galleria (all very high $ stores), and the water taxi stand (a FANTASTIC way to get around), and the Publix grocery store (Kroger chain) is fairly close, and Hugh Taylor Birch State Park is right across the street. Bottom line---I am paying to get rid of this timeshare, and won't be going back. You can do MUCH better for your $.

Room Tip: Don't know if there is one---probably the furthest to the West end you can go and backing up to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank DIANE P
Miami, FL.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I really wanted to like this place. I really did. And i did, until the morning of check out my little 4 year old daughter woke up with bites on her face and thighs. I want to hope they were mosquito bites, but they didnt look like mosquito bites. And based on prior reviews,( i had already booked our week before i read the reviews about bedbugs), upon check in i literally tore the place apart looking for the alleged bedbugs, and found nothing. So i deemed it stayworthy. We had a fine week, the place is super cute, they keep it very clean, the pool area is cute, I liked that no one bothered us during the week. I cant really say for sure that the bites on my little girl were bedbug bites. But unfortunately i dont think we"ll come back. Just the thought of that they might have been was too stressful for me. I hope they address the issue, if there is in fact an issue. It added a lot of stress on my vacation, which is not supposed to happen.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Miamimami71
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here August 29-September 1 (Wed-Sat) in room 504 for a writers conference at the Westin. Linens and curtains looked like they were pretty close to new or were recently cleaned. Plenty of towels and closet space. Air conditioning was excellent. Nice sized kitchen with all the amenities. We literally slept and showered here only, did not spend any quality time in the room or on the grounds, but had no problems with what we saw. Best part? No bedbugs! After reading those reviews I didnt sleep very well on our first two nights until I got the room numbers - thanks to Neekie-Pooh & JLE2 for sharing them.

I don't stay in timeshares often, but thought it strange that we had to strip our own beds and load/start the dishwasher as part of the check out process, as well as having to check out at 10:00 a.m. Doesn't really seem like something vacationers paying for an experience should have to think or worry about, especially given the early check out. Make sure you read the brochure given to you - it says if you check out past 10:30 a.m. you'll have to pay $20/per half hour for the privilege. Bring a shower cap if you need one because they weren't provided, along with lotion, shampoo & conditioner.

Coconut Bay has an excellent location! We walked over the drawbridge to Publix and bought a few items, and also had an excellent dinner at Capital Grill. The Galleria Mall with Neiman Marcus & Macy's is just over that bridge too, but we didn't go. When we needed a cab, we walked over to Sunrise or AIA & hailed one (they were very slow when we called them in advance). There were lots of small bars/pubs/touristy type stores/bodegas nearby as well. Beach was a quick 10 min. walk away which was great.

Front office folks were nice, the young lady there on Saturday allowed us to leave our luggage at the office so we could go enjoy the beach before heading to the airport at 4:00 p.m., that was great.

Overall, we had no problems during our stay and wouldn't rule Coconut Bay out in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Kimberly A
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Resort for a week on timeshare only to discover beg bugs in two rooms woke up with bump red spots and swollen arms and legs and once I pulled the cover off the bed I notice and wittness bed bugs crawling around I captured on in a plastic sandwich bag and had to sit around in my car until 9 am because the office didn't open until then at 9am I walked in the office and handed the plastic bag to the reception who only said I could put you in a different room only to find out that room had them to the worst stay I every had and my nick name was spot because of all the bites I had MY BIGGEST FEAR WAS BRINGING THEM HOME SO ALMOST EVERYTHING I TOOK HAD TO BE TRASHED

• Stayed August 2012
9 Thank Neekie-Pooh
Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Honestly, without bias. I arrived at the resort during late arrival time. I had to go to a phone box on the wall of the first floor and call to get the combination to a lock box on the door. This seemed so primitive to me from a resort. I am used to resorts having someone on site at all times. Next, once I figured out the combination I entered the room. To my surprise, the room was not bad, it was clean, and had fairly nice furniture. However, the TV was outdated and there was no DVD player to be found so to watch movies you would have to venture out.The pool, grills, and jacuzzi area is very private and well maintained.However, the washer and dryers on site are coin activated..meaning you have to pay to use them.The location is great right next to the beach, eateries and shopping area. This type of resort is a one visit resort for me.

Room Tip: All rooms are about the same, no ocean view of any sort.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family