“Bed Bugs”
Review of Coconut Bay Resort

Coconut Bay Resort
Ranked #54 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I am a time share owner and have spent many great weeks at Coconut Bay, but last week, I encountered bed bugs at the resort, in two different rooms. The staff provided us with clean sheets in one room. We bought a spray and sprayed the bed and linens. We asked and got a new room, but the results were the same. We left the place with a swollen, bumpy rash, welts and pain. They insisted that bed bugs were not the cause, but that summer insects caused the problem. After researching on the internet, it was clear that this was not the case. Now, we are fighting bed bugs at home.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Judith E
There are newer reviews for Coconut Bay Resort

Reviewed July 22, 2012

They had no restaurant or fitness center this is a condo place for retired people not not for vacationing familys with young children and expecially not with teenagers. Rooms were average. Had to do our own cleaning and wash our own beach towels daily,bathroom toilets don"t flush properly. they replenish bathroom towels only once a week - on wednesday... they didn't provide us with clean towels daily..Front desk is opened from 8 to 5 so if you needed help after those hours you had to wait for when they opened or next day. A/C was very loud. they should Vacuum the sofa properly felt like their was dust and sand on it. WiFi did not work properly. had to position yourself in a corner of one room to get it sometimes. Will not recommand this to anyone. here are the only positive comments of this place, when spoke to front desk, they were polite, and very near to the beach which was great. and not far from Las Olas Boulevard for restaurants and drinks.

Room Tip: Don"t end up on the 1st floor near the trash room you might get a terrible smell!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank jofa44
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed at the Coconut Bay "Resort" recently (June 2012). I agree with whom ever said it's not a "resort"... but overall, it was OK for a week. We had a few issues with our room, but they took care of them - not as FAST as I would have liked, but they took care of them. The maintenance staff was very nice. The office staff acted like we were bothing them when we reported issues - an EXTREMELY loud ceiling fan in the bedroom, a beyond-rusty rack in the freezer, ants all over the chair, floor and window seal in the bedroom, and the cable was terrible for our first two days, but it cleared throughout the week. (They did take care of these issues though)

The room was clean AND THEY DO HAVE Wi-FI in each room now. We stayed in a one bedroom, 2 1/2 bath (which was nice to have an extra bathroom). The view from our bedroom faced the boats in the back, which was nice.

The pool was nice and toasty. We didn't use the grills, but peaked in them, and they were very clean.

Two things that I didn't like. We arrived early Saturday and used all over towels by Tuesday. They exchange the towels on Wednesdays - as opposed to other places we've stayed where you can just go exchange your dirty towels anytime for clean ones...AND when you use all of your blue pool towels, they don't give you any at all and recommend YOU wash them...(we flew to this location, so we didn't pack any of our own towels).

The second thing I didn't like was in the bathrooms (in ours, not sure about others)...we had to look through these ceiling vents at the rusty pipes - it made me feel paranoid in this age of secret cameras in bathrooms (but I figured they would delete my big butt, ha,ha!)....

OH, What I DID LIKE was they let check in early because our room was ready. Our plane arrived at like 10 a.m.

Location was Great - beach close by, the Galleria Mall is great, the state park was beautiful...(We also took a Water Taxi and visited the outletmall)

Hope this helps. (Overall, not the worst place-but if you have an issue, be patient with the staff)....

Oh, Santa also lives here.....look for him at the pool....he was VERY nice.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river were nice
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Luvs B
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I own at Coconut Bay resort and I recently went back there for 1 week in May, Coconut bay is a condominium complex which has some units for timesharing. This property was not built as a resort per se but became one as an afterthought. I dont drive, so the location of this resort is perfect as a supermarket and a few resturants are across the street. The pool and jacuzzi were great as the weather was hot during the day and cool at night. I have 1 and a half baths in my apartment and a full kitchen stocked with a blender and toaster. My unit was near the pool in the first floor so there was no elevator drama. The only complaint i could say was the checkout is 10 am which is early.When I was there it seemed to be mostly retirees some from Canada and Europe. The boat dock behind the resort is filled year round with yachts whose owners use the pool. This makes for interesting conversations.There are 4 grills which you can use.This place is 2 blocks from the beach and over 10 resturants in walking distance. If you are looking for a low key relaxing vacation this is your place. I would say a car is not necessary as the mall is behind the resort so everything is in walking distance. The decor is old time Florida with mirrored livingroom wall and get this actual keys for the room no swipe card. This made for a few drunken confusing attempts to open the door, I love this place and can see if you trade from a Marriott or Hilton mega resort you will be disappointed. The front desk must be asked for extra supplies and they close at 5 so any noise complaints have to wait until the next day.I didnt have any problems with anything in the room.In fact I had to turn off the ac as it was too cold in the room.There were excursions which could be booked from the resort but I didnt use them. The donut breakfast is a timeshare sale which is basically trying to get you to buy rci points skip it as the only thing you get is a certificate for a vacation which is not easy to use. There is a hot dog grill on wednsdays which is run by management which is cute and over very quick and free!!!!.If you want to tan and hang out by the pool this is your place . If you want to drink and slide down water slides and party all night you can still do that and then drive home here to rest.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank timesharequeenNyc
Reviewed June 9, 2012

To start off this is NOT a resort, besides the pool, which is very nice, there are not any other amentities. There is not a bar or restaurant, or anything besides rooms and a pool. The rooms are nice, clean, and comfortable. We did have a problem with our air conditioner breaking and had to switch rooms which was a, huge inconvience. We had to move all our stuff midweek and were moved to a part of the "resort" without an elevator. The lack of an elevator was not only a problem for the "move" (no one offered to help us move our belongings either) but my 2 year old daughter was with us and we had a stroller that we had to lug up and down the stairs several times a day.

The pool area is nice but was marred with people smoking cigarettes and cigars all day long. A lot of older people own rooms at Coconut bay and they seem to be rather annoyed by children. We only went to the pool once a day for an hour or so because we felt rather unwanted there. Hanging out at the pool all day was not an option because of all the smoke.

Coconut bay wasn't all bad though. The staff is friendly, the location is great and the price is good. The "resort" is close to the beach, several restaurants, and even a nature park. You can easily walk to the mall or beach area and are close to two main road that will get you pretty much anywhere.

All in all our expirence was not horrible, but I might not stay here again with my kids. Coconut Bay is a place I would stay at with my husband if we weren't looking to spend a lot of money, but not a great place for a family trip.

Room Tip: The two room condos are very roomy.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank biscuit72
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Stayed in two bedroom unit with two seperate bathrooms. Room was clean. Full kitchen. Screened backporch. Heated pool. This is an older property but well kept. After talking with the office staff you almost feel like " part of the family". This is not the Ritz but it does afford a cozy slow paced feeling only 4-5 minutes walk from beach, food and shopping. Free parking and a robust maint. staff. All and all, it worked very well for me.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank TedKeller
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Great location excellent restaurants with in walking. Mexican cantina,trulucks,prim anti brothers and Thai on the beach. The resort was built in the 70's. Everything in working order and clean. 5 min walk to bach and water taxis..stone crab season oct to may Billy's in Hollywood fl and trulucks were excellent trulucks has excellent wine list w% off during happy hr. our $53 bottle was $36. Will come back no frills but decent

• Stayed: January 2012