“Excellent Hospitality”

Haven Hotel - Fort Lauderdale Airport
Ranked #108 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed March 23, 2009

The hotel was located very close to the airport, and it may have been a little small but the presentation was very good. The manager was very nice and a made you feel very comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 21, 2009

I thought we were on top of a pre-cruise overnight reservation, but over and over we encountered "no room at the inn" or exorbitant prices. All we wanted was a clean, safe, convenient place to sleep overnight. Our shuttle driver from Miami airport was not familiar with America's Best but drove to the street address. We were a bit confused as there was no sign, but a quick call insured that this was, indeed, the place. (The sign being down has to do with a dispute between the owner and the city re regs.) This is an old motel that has been renovated. It also has old-style, friendly hospitality. We were very warmly greeted by the new manager; she was great fun. Within five minutes, we met two other couples who were also going on cruises. All enjoyed the complimentary wine, beer and snacks of the motel's Happy Hour. The manager arranged transportation for all of us, along with another couple, to the cruise terminal, so no worries! Even better, our fares, in a clean, new, comfortable van were $5 apiece. You read that right. Our room was small (hey, older motels don't have suites), but it was recently redecorated, very stylishly painted, with a wall-mounted flatscreen TV, A/C. Door was accessed with a "credit card" style room card; new locks. Wondering where we would eat, we took the manager's tip re a local diner. It was about a half-mile and dark, but we were not concerned. We enjoyed the walk and it was well-worth it. Great diner food; best grouper I've had in a long time. This motel and it's location reminded us of life and Florida from days of yore: authentic, friendly, local. We would definitely stay there again for a pre-cruise overnight . It was excellent value and a "real" experience rather than a cookie cutter fabrication.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank patraton
Reviewed March 9, 2009

I stayed here one night before my cruise departed. When I arrived, my first thought was, this is a dump from the outside , but was pleasantly surprised. The owners lived in the building and were VERY friendly! They have complimentary wine and beer from 5-7 at night in the lobby area where there is a couple of chairs and a tv to watch. My friend and I hung out in there with the owner and had a great time. There was also complimentary breakfast in the AM (fruits, yogurt, cold/warm cereal..) Not bad for a low class hotel. The room we stayed in had a comfortable bed and was very clean, despite how old the hotel is. I forgot to print out my boarding pass for the cruise and the owner let me use her laptop and printer to do so. They sure did go above and beyond to make sure our stay here was a good one. I will stay here again before my next cruise!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank skc4
Reviewed March 3, 2009

While it was a little difficult to find the hotel the first time around, we not only stayed there the one night on the way down but once more on the way back. Both times Lori, one of the two people who run the place most of the time, was one of the nicest people I've dealt with in all of my hotel stays.

I've stayed in everything from 5-star to 1-star hotels in my life and I can honestly say that the combination of customer service excellence and clean, cozy rooms made this one of the best stays I've had.

I highly recommend staying here whether or not you're there for a night or a month (in one of their apartments).

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2009

We were here for an overnight stopover before boarding our cruise in Ft Lauderdale. I'd booked the hotel through is website.

I want to say at the outset that we have travelled extensively -- this particular stopover was at the beginning of a two month trip ithrough South America, during which we encountered nothing that even remotely compared to the America's Best Inn -- and that this is the first time I have ever felt morally compelled to write a negative review on a property we have stayed at.

Where to start....

The motel itself bore no resemblance to the photo of a modern, two story mediterranean style hotel, shown on my booking confirmation form. Rather, it was an older, one level courtyard style property wedged in between two truck rental depots, with no permanent "Amercia's Best Inns" signposting anywhere to be found, other than on a folding billboard out in front of the property. The main window of the motel office advertised rooms for rent by the day, week or month (athough it looked to me like the sort of place well suited to hourly rental).

The owner/manager took my credit card on check in but did not ask for my signature or my PIN number, which I thought was a bit odd. He said he didn't need it???? He was also "unable" to provide a receipt. The receipt he eventually did provide showed the room charges, but did not record any payment having been made. I was told this was his standard receipt and so gave up on arguing with him about it.

Felt sufficiently uneasy about the place that I called a relative in Florida to discuss whether to go elsewhere despite the hour and remote location (ie no shops or passersby). Had privacy issues using the room phone as calls needed to be placed through the owner's phone. This is because the hotel itself apparently does not have a land line phone, all calls are forwarded to the owner's mobile (????). At least this is what I was told. All very odd, and very scary.

Had it not been 1am and in such a shady looking area, we would have gone elsewhere, but I figured we'd just put our luggage up against the hotel room door for added security and we went to the room.

Problem with that idea is that the doors only opened outwards. Also no second lock, chain, etc on the door for security. Hid our luggage in the shower cubicle and slept with my moneybelt on. With my use of the phone reliant upon the owner putting me through, I felt very vulnerable and very scared.

Got very little sleep, and had the rellies come pick us up in the morning. Once they saw the place and it's location, they said they wished they'd come and collected us when we called at 1am.

We ran into two other couples at breakfast who were booked on the same cruise. They too arrived late at night and thought of heading elsewhere. All other "residents" of the property seemed to be of a more permanent nature.

The room itself was fine by the way -- other than the lack of security, I considered the furnishings etc to be of a reasonable standard for the USD75 per night we paid. We did not have the mouldy shower/stained carpet/frogs in room that previous reviewers have complained of.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 23, 2009

This is a perfect budget pre-cruise choice. Don't be scared by previous reviews, but do be realistic about your expectations. If you really want great dining, walks on the beach, shopping, and a Fort Lauderdale experience, this may not be your best choice. But if you're budget minded and have a rental car, it's perfect. The owner Chris, and his assistant Lashaun, really go out of their way to make guests feel welcome, including hosting a complimentary happy hour each evening serving wine, beer, and snacks, at which time you'll enjoy meeting other guests and swapping cruise plans.

Pluses: The bedding is first class, with duvet covers washed along with the sheets and towels. No moldy vintage bedspreads here! The rooms are small, but hey, it's great prep for a small stateroom on a ship. A lovely little courtyard with fountain, and adequate pool, and free wireless internet. Cap your stay with another complimentary continental breakfast, and you'll be ready to start your vacation rested and happy.

Drawbacks: The property is located directly across from the cruise port in a very commercial area, so road noise and lack of pedestrian options is a factor. It's also quite small, and in need of a better sign (city code issue). But in those comfy beds, odds are good you'll sleep through anything, and being so close to both the airport and the cruise port, this little Inn is a solid winner.

Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed November 30, 2008

America’s Best Inn by the Airport in Ft. Lauderdale a nicely renovated 1950’s style single story motel (I took several photos inside and out but they would not upload into Tripadvisor site without jumping through hoops, sorry) about a mile north of the FLL airport, on the way to the cruise port (the 24th Street cruise port entrance is a short taxi ride away, but make sure your driver does not take you roundabout to the 17th Street entrance, FLL taxi drivers are sneaky that way).

This is a clean, cozy, bargain option for anyone who must spend the night in FLL between flights or before a cruise.

The motel is located one block west of Highway 1 at 30th Street (take the first left when northbound on US 1 from the airport, or take the left at 24th Street and then double back left again southbound on Andrews Street).

The rooms are small but adequate (about the size of a cruise ship cabin) with one queen size bed, a desk/counter, refrigerator, microwave, flat panel TV, iron, and ironing board, with a shower-only in the bathroom.

The décor is Ikea modern. It reminds us of the small stylish riooms we sometimes get in Europe. The bed is comfortable with a Euro-style double-sheeted comforter. The climate is controlled by a digital remote air conditioner. The windows are new and can be opened. The rooms are as clean as in the major chain motels. The shower floor was once painted over the tile and is now a bit discolored, but is clean.

The manager is friendly and helpful. A continental breakfast is served in his office.

The only faults I could find during our stay are: 1) the area is a commercial district (auto rental and repair shops) without tourist services (no restaurant appears to be within walking distance); and 2) there was no inside security lock on the door (although the door lock is a secure new key-card type, the inside bolt did not work in our unit).

My wife and I will certainly stay here again when we have an overnight before a cruise. It is well-maintained, conveniently located to the airport and cruise port, and very reasonably priced (about $55 for the two of us, plus tax).

Prima donna types might want fancier rooms, but at more than double the price elsewhere in the area, they are welcome to them.

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Lauderdale
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South
Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port
Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdal...
#41 of 127 in Fort Lauderdale
Candlewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Air/Seaport
Candlewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale...
#36 of 127 in Fort Lauderdale
Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port
Extended Stay America - Ft. Laud...
#69 of 127 in Fort Lauderdale
Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites
Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

Been to Haven Hotel - Fort Lauderdale Airport? Share your experiences!