“not the experience we were looking for”

Cheston House Gay Resort
Cincinnati, OH
“not the experience we were looking for”
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We were in Ft. Lauderdale for one night before our cruise ship left port- decided we would try a Guest House instead of a large commercial hotel- we have one in key West that we love and thought we might find another...NOT this one!

The fact that it's off the main path and in a quieter neighborhood was actually nice...close to the beach and close to main road but not in the hustle and bustle.

The only staff person we encountered was nice enough...upon checking us in...he lead us up an outer stairway to our room...and he commented several times about the amount of luggage we had, but he never thought to rebook us into a first floor room...so we dragged it all upstairs. The hotel couldn't have been more than 25% full- saw very few people while we were there...might have thought he would have considered moving us before we dragged it all up the stairs.

Room was VERY dated!- clean enough but very out of style. Bathroom was pink- three colors and tile styles...of pink! Furniture was old- not terrible...just old. Carpet is stained. Air conditioner is small and noisy.

Can't say the place was awful- and maybe in season when there are more people around and you can really use the outdoor heated pool (it was too cold the day we checked in) this might be ok...but maybe I am also a bit of a hotel snob and would rather pay the extra price and stay in a place that invests in its property and makes improvements to keep up with the times.

I would skip this hot spot on any future visit!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chipndale69
chestonmanager, Manager at Cheston House Gay Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
We believe this review is not about Cheston House. After review of the guest comments, Cheston House is located in the center of the 'gay lodging district' 1.5 blocks from the beach. in a safe, busy gayborhood. We do not have any second floor rooms with multiple pink bathroom tiles. In addition, we can't locate any record of a 1 night stay, January 2011, guest from Cincinnati.

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 18, 2010

This is a truly wonderful resort! I stayed here for 6 nights in mid-December, and really enjoyed staying at the Cheston. The hotel is small and quaint, so the guests get to socialize with each other quite a bit, which makes for a far more interesting stay. My partner and I met some great people and even exchanged e-mails with a few of them. The pool is a good size and heated nicely (we were there during a chilly week!). Our room was VERY clean and bigger than expected. The beds were comfy, and I slept like a baby for 6 nights straight! The breakfast was a good way to help start off your day. The Cheston is in a great location, just a few steps to the beach and a 10 minute walk to the gay beach.

But what really stands out here is the staff. Chuck and his team are some of the nicest people I've ever met. If you ever needed anything, Chuck wouldn't hesitate to help you out. When I mentioned to Chuck that the wheel of my suitcase had broken off, he arrived the next day with a toolbox and driller so that we could fix it for the flight home. The Cheston has a "family" feel to it, and I think it's in large part because of Chuck's warm and friendly character.

So, in a nutshell, amazing staff, nice resort, good company, and excellent value for your money. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2010

This place was always our preferred guesthouse in Fort Lauderdale. However, after our last visit, it is no longer on the radar. The manager, Chuck, is a major interruption to this great hotel.

During our stay, it served only weekend crowds. On Sunday, the pool heater was closed and remained closed until we departed on Thursday. They clearly advertise heated pool on thier site. It wouldn't had been so bad if Chuck wasn't around, as his presence put a thin layer of ice on the whole place.

Other then Chuck, the staff is amazing. However, I think it time for Chuck to move on, as we have with this place.

Even talking to Chuck face to face, his only response to any concerns was, "It's business". Bad Manager with a Bad attitude.

In November 2009, we suffered a similar experience at this place. However, it was another employee and not Chuck. However, given Chuck performance this time, it is clear where that employee learned his service skills.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mtlgoodguys
chestonmanager, General Manager at Cheston House Gay Resort, responded to this review, December 20, 2010
Shame on the reviewer for an uprofessional, personal smear campaign that is irrelevant and unhelpful to tourists. The reviewer's comments are predjudicial towards the manager. It's a vague and non-factual review.
Wallasey, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2010

We both really enjoyed our 5-day stay here - so much we stayed an extra night. The room was clean, comfortable and well decorated although we spent most of our time either by the pool or out and about. It has a great location for the beach and the seafront shops and restaurants which are all very walkable. If you want to go anywhere else e.g. Wilton Manors you'll probably need a car.

Chuck was a tremendous host and we enjoyed talking and socializing with the other guests. The place seems to attract a slightly older crowd, but the place definitely had no attitude and was very relaxed. Would highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
Reviewed January 18, 2010

Directed to the Cheston House as my usual resort (across the street) was full. The Cheston House was a nice alternative. Reservation and check in was very easy. Arrival was a breeze and in my oversized room in minutes. King bed was comfortable and the room is situated nicely.

Pluses:
*Comfortable bed
*Expanded cable channels, with printed channel guide (all hotels should have this)
*Large room
*BKfast (same as all resorts)
*Nice size pool
*Friendly staff
*Easy going atmosphere
*Computer/printer in the lobby area, with fast connection

Things to work on (Not necessarily bad, just could be improved)
*No hot tub
*Grounds are very nice and have southern exposure. But there are buildings right across the street with full view into the grounds. 1 morning saw a family on a balcony looking in, and taking pictures. Sure it made for interesting vacation stories/;pix of the naked men
*No hot water. At all. Best I had was a tepid shower on check out day
*Odd room safe, you needed a key to secure the lock on the safe
*Universal remote for the TV. Needed assistance no less than 3x to work it
*Person cleaning the room moved all my stuff, a little wierd. Also kept turning the ceiling fan on. Little stuff

All in all a good place. Will go back, but most likely only if the other place is sold out.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank JLS300
Goteed1
Reviewed January 5, 2010

I stayed here over the holidays and this a nice place to stay but, really nothing stands out in terms of service or amenities. Since I have stayed at many of the other guesthouses in Fort Lauderdale, I'm really looking at the number of choices you have here and this place is a nice choice but really doesn't have that something special that would make me a loyal customer.

The room was great. I had a large King sized room that had a large closet and a dressing area with a microwave, fridge and coffeemaker. Bathroom was also good sized, shower looks pretty new, but the original sink from the 50s should really be replaced. Also, the wall between my room and the next was VERY thin and could hear everything that went on next door.

They offer a VERY basic continental breakfast every morning and out of all the places I have stayed (and they all offer something in the morning) this is probably the skimpiest I've seen. They also have a "happy hour" every night. I will say that most hotels at this price point don't do this every night, but really it's just some wine and beer and chips from 5 to 6. Not exactly a party atmosphere going on here, but still they get credit for trying. The public areas, the pool and patio is nice and neat but pretty basic as well. The place could really use a Jacuzzi.

Service was professional and I will say the cleaning crew did a great job every day on my room.

Also a plus is the washer/dryer for use for the guests. A buck a load, but they supply the detergent etc.

Overall, not a bad place at all, there's a lot here to like, but for me they have to be more than just average to get me to keep coming back here.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Justneedreservations
Boston
Reviewed October 26, 2009

I ended up here pretty randomly as I had never been to Fort Lauderdale before and picked a place with the best rates and generally great reviews on this site. It was a good choice. They tend to run a lot of internet specials and you can get great value staying here if you do a little homework. One thing I didn't realize and wish I did, is that most all of the guest houses in Fort Lauderdale are all right next to each other for the most part. There are one or two in Wilton Manors, but for the most part, they are within several blocks from each other so I wouldn't waste much time trying to find the one with the best location like I did.

Rooms are pretty simple, but nice and clean. The pool is nice, though it would have been great to have a hot tub as well. When I went it wasn't that busy, but most all of the guests were really friendly and it was easy to meet people to go to the beach with our out to dinner, etc. The proximity to the beach is wonderful, though I found I often stayed by the pool which gets nice sun all day.

Some gay guest houses have a very sexual vibe to them, I didn't get that at all from this place - more laid back and friendly which was nice. Not that there wasn't some flirting here and there, but very far from cruisy which personally I enjoyed. That could have to do with the time of year I was there and the guests at the time, but from speaking with other people that were there that tends to be par for the course.

As far as the crowd goes, it will of course vary greatly. I'm in my early 30's and found all of the guests older than me. Not a problem, but it seems the Cheston House does attracted a little older crowd. I was told this was kind of common as well.

I would happily stay there again, it was a nice property, nice location and great staff. I will be going to Fort Lauderdale again in a few weeks and will be staying at a different property as they had better rates and I've heard a little younger crowd. If this property looks appealing to you, then I'd say book it - I think you'll enjoy it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo