“Friendly hip hotel”
Review of The Aqua Hotel

The Aqua Hotel
Ranked #10 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have never had such a warm and friendly welcome as the one I got from Maggie on reception ! The hotel was spotless well designed and very well thought out. It was a very convenient location and a great start to our tour of florida. It had a very cool and funky but unpretentious feel to it . Really wished we could have stayed longer and I have never felt the urge to write a review about any hotel before but felt compelled to do so about Aqua .

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Helen B
NorthBeachVillage, Owner at The Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Helen B,
We are truly humbled by your review. The fact that you rarely write reviews and gave us such a good one is really very kind. Thank you so much.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,043)

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Okay, so I bet you can guess by the title of my review, that I was very happy with my stay at the Aqua Hotel. First, the location... the location of the hotel is one block from the beach. The hotel also offers complimentary beach chairs and beach toys for the kids that you can take to the beach. When we arrived, we were greeting by the hotel manager, Ms. Torres. She is extremely friendly, even helping people with their luggage to their rooms! She gives a great overview of what is in the area, good places to eat and visit, etc. She saw my family and I again about mid trip, and wanted to know how things were going, if we were happy, etc. EXCELLENT customer service. The staff seem very pleasant and happy. I spoke to a few of them throughout the course of my stay, and they were all very, very nice.The grounds of the hotel were very nice as well. There are two pools, one was right outside of our room. My children enjoyed the pool quite a bit as the beach water was quite cold. The area was kept very tidy, and the at night, it was very quiet. There was ample parking around the hotel as well, and it was free.
The rooms of the hotel were very nice. My family had a 1 bedroom suite- which was extremely clean, and I am definitely one to survey a room carefully before settling in. You have a full kitchenette, with a refrigerator, microwave, sink, and a small breakfast area with a table and four chairs. This was all shared with the living room area, which had a pull out bed.
The bedroom was completely separate. We were on the second floor, which I think I preferred.
I would definitely, without a doubt recommend this hotel to friends and family who plan to visit Ft. Lauderdale and I wouldn't think twice about staying there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Trinidiva2000

Trinidiva2000,
Thanks for your EXCELLENT review:) Seriously though, we truly believe that our guests deserve the best, and we want everyone to be happy. We love what we do and are pleased that it shows. We hope to see you and the family soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had a very warm welcome. The staff was the friendliest and most accommodating around. The hotel was clean and offered two pools, rental bikes and even a grill for guest use. Our room was very tiny, we were tripping over each other and our luggage. The only clear window in the room was in the bathroom. It did have a frig, microwave, coffee maker and sink which was nice. It is quite far down from the main restaurant area by the beach, but if you don't mind walking it's not an issue.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has windows facing the pool. There will be more light in the room. Also a junior...
2  Thank lovetotravelCt
Reviewed April 20, 2013

In anyone's search for a vacation beach resort the following adjectives would come to mind---clean/comfortable/friendly/fun/relaxing/accommodating.The Aqua Hotel embodies all those characteristics and does it in a way that brings to mind the adjectives---gentility, civility and discriminating. It is a truly beautiful facility. All you need to do is look at the photos in their Trip Advisor article. However the most unique characteristic of Aqua is the mindset of every employee to customer satisfaction. From the General Manager, Maggie, down to every housekeeping and grounds maintenance person their first words as they pass you each day is " Are you having a good stay?" and "Can I do anything for you"? And you know they ask because they truly care. And if what you ask for something reasonable they will do it for you! As you might guess The Aqua is my kind of resort and I will return but I feel it my duty to point out some facility cons:

1) No onsite food or beverage offerings--including breakfast. Rooms are equipped for cooking (fridge and stove) if that is the kind of vacation you want.
2) Limited nearby reasonably priced food and entertainment options.
The Plaza Bistro and Casablanca Cafe are excellent options nearby!
3) After 6PM transportation to out of the immediate area restaurant and entertainment options is quite expensive if you have no car. This is why Aqua should offer #1.
4) No onsite exercise options.

I have been assured that the long range plan calls for North Beach Village development that will address and correct all these cons. However this may be years down the line!

2  Thank jimteal47
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Refurbished, stylish mid-century modern, very clean.

Good sized room with kitchenette

1 block from the sand, about a 15 minute walk to the heart of Fort Lauderdale beach.

Very friendly service

Not cheap during peak season but less expensive than most comparable places.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank VisuallyOriented
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here one night pre-cruise. Located 1.5 blocks from beach. We had a king studio on second floor, rooms just as appear in the pictures. Very clean. Check in quick and easy. Room had refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, wineglasses, room safe, iron/ironing board, hair dryer, soap/shampoo in the shower. We did not use the pool or spa. Nice walk to CVS Pharmacy for supplies and Casablanca Cafe for dinner (would have been nicer if it hadn't been raining!). As others have noted, our cab driver was not familiar with the hotel location; have address with you for them to enter into GPS. Woud stay here again. You do have to carry bags up stairs yourself, should request first floor if that is a problem for you.

2  Thank CarolinMO
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I hate to say it but I wasn't as impressed with the Aqua as other reviewers have been. Generally I didn't come away thinking - wow, I'll definitely return here.

The bed was amazingly comfortable - probably the best hotel bed I've experienced but that's where the praise stops.

It's nice to be 2 blocks from north beach and right next door to a car rental office. The small retro resort is nicely done however somewhat basic in its amenities, especially the lack of toiletries. I didn't experience any of the customer service other travellers have raved about, in fact management was pretty laissez-faire. The rooms are quiet but as someone else mentioned, you have to choose between privacy or sunlight. There's not much choice for decent food in walking distance - I struggled to find somewhere to have breakfast. The closest entertainment section on the beach is a 10/15 min stroll and is pretty touristy and expensive.

In hindsight I'd wished I'd either spent a bit more and stayed at The Four Pillars on the waterways again, or went the other end of the luxury scale and found a Hampton Inn near the port or airport.

Sorry The Aqua, you have a lovely place but need to offer a bit more boutique luxury to warrant the boutique price.

• Stayed: April 2013