“Perfect experience for a good price”
Review of Granada Inn

Granada Inn
Reviewed January 20, 2008

When we go on vacation, the last kind of place we look for is an overly-sterile, boring room with mass-purchased catalog art on the walls. We want a place with personality, character and emotion. The Granada Inn fit the bill. I think our room was "Martinique" (photo attached), and it was relatively large, with an extra closet/alcove area which was great for luggage storage. All of the trimmings (fridge, radio, furniture, bed) seemed fairly new.

Sure, there might have been a tile or two chipped in the bathroom, and a nail hole or two in the wall that hadn't been patched, but those things were easily overlooked as everything was clean, comfortable, and welcoming. Besides, who stays in their room long enough to notice the little things?

The gentleman who we saw during our 1 night/2 days was Tom, and he was great - helped us find a full-service breakfast/coffee place (the Continental breakfast was great, but we wanted a bigger meal), and he left us have access to the room for no extra fee for our check-out day (as we left in the evening). That is the sort of flexibility and personal touch you just can't get with a hotel.

The pool area is fenced, very private, and relaxing. The 1.5 block walk to the beach is ridiculously easy (not to mention easy to get a cab anytime you want on the main road along the beach). The Inn has beach towels to borrow, and is within a 5-10 minute walk of a nice small strip of bars, restaurants, etc. which is perfect for a 1-2 day visit.

While visually it's more of a classic remodel "motel", the personal interactions we got reminded us much more of a B&B. While they don't book directly via their website, they are super-responsive via email. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank grebebird

Reviewed December 31, 2007

We loved our 3 nights in the Martinique room at the Granada on a quiet side street. Reminded us of small European botique hotels. It's clean and comfortable, and the light breakfast was always fresh. It's a small older motel with an outside corridor, but has been well cared for. The fence and locked gate to enter the property made for a feeling of safety and privacy. Fantastic location about 1/2 block from the beach and 1 1/2 blocks from the water taxi on the Waterway.

Stayed: December 2007
3  Thank RockyPt
Reviewed December 10, 2007

My wife and I went there for a wedding. While it is cute on the outside, we both felt that every room we saw inside had mold and had their problems. Our particular room had a very loud AC window unit that would beep whenever you turned it off. Others had problems like a refrigerator not working, etc.

The breakfast was either bland cereal or plain/everything bagels. Nothing else for food...

Having just been on a honeymoon that I couldn't stop loving the B&B we stayed at for $200/night, i felt this wasn't even in the same ballpark for accomodations and was expensive at $165/night.

My wife and I both felt we'd rather have stayed at one of the larger hotels nearby.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Tom S
Reviewed October 16, 2007

We stayed at this B&B in the middle of October. We were in town for a wedding. The owners allowed the wedding party to host a party pool-side and were very nice the entire weekend. The rooms were clean and individually decorated. The kitchenette was dated, but it had everythign we could need, including dishes and dish towels. The shower had good pressure, but there was evidence of water damage to the bathroom door (didn't bother us, but may bother you). The B&B is very close to the beach and has great atmosphere. The trees around the pool make for a relaxing evening. The property is fenced in, so you do have a nice level of privacy.
We enjoyed our stay and would stay there again. The owner was very flexible with our arrival and departure times, he also called our taxi for us.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Trish B
Reviewed January 27, 2007

The one perk about this bnb was that I got a discount on our third night. We were just 2 blocks from the beach and many restaurants. The room where we stayed was small and cozy. It was mid summer and the air conditioner didn't run well. Continental breakfast out by the pool could have been a little better (dried cereal..add milk)..plus muffins. I would recommend this place to young couples who love the beach!

• Stayed: June 2004, traveled as a couple
4  Thank natalieh2006
Reviewed January 15, 2007

I stayed for three nights in the Granada. I was not thrilled. The whole place has had a make over, however there was a big lack of eye to the detail. Wrotting bathroom cabinets and a very old kitchenette (and not the cleanest either) did not suit the price of 165 $.

I did not find the owner or the manager very helpful or polite. Also, if you do not like dogs you might find it difficult to stay in the Granada Inn, as there is one walking round the place.

The noise level did not make me more comfortable either. Dog barking and the owners leaving each morning at eight in the morning is not the way I would like to be woken on my hols.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Oxf_Travelmouse
Reviewed August 23, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Granada Inn in late July. It is a 2-story building located on Granada St. behind the Sheraton Yankee Trader Hotel. We did not want to stay in a big hotel with a bunch of guests, so we searched for a smaller place (with a smaller price tag). The Granada Inn was a perfect fit.

They have about 11 rooms and we paid $90/night for a queen bed room with a kitchenette. The decor was nice and the place was CLEAN. The kitchen appliances are somewhat dated, but we weren't looking to become gourmet chefs. My wife thought the kitchen was "so cute". I just wanted it to be practical, and it was.

The Granada Inn has parking and a pool. A free continental breakfast is available poolside every morning. Muffins, coffee, juice, cereal, bagels... that kind of thing. Definitely sufficient for what we wanted.

One of the more unique things were the owners, John and Kira. They are very laid back people who genuinely care to make your stay enjoyable. They made it so easy for us to relax, and John was available to answer our questions, offer advice, and take care of any problems.

One thing I don't want to overlook is the GREAT LOCATION! It took 2 minutes to walk one block down to the beach, and 2 minutes to walk to the Seville Street Water Bus stop (stop #4). Although we had a rental car, it's not necessary if you're comfortable just using the Water Bus for everything.

The biggest con with the Granada Inn was the AC unit in our room. It was not super powerful and was not able to create that icebox feeling that I love. But it was still able to make the room comfortably cool, and I was never too warm or hot at bedtime. The only other "problem" was that we did not have a iron and ironing board in our room (I imagine none of the rooms do). We asked John if he had one for us to borrow, and he was back to our room within minutes with it.

Overall, my wife and I were extremely pleased with the Granada Inn. In fact, even though we make it a rule to try different places, we will probably be staying at the Granada Inn the next time we travel to Ft. Lauderdale.

The Granada Inn website is ----------- and John & Kira are very responsive to email (always within a day, and sometimes within an hour). They are also very easy to talk to on the phone.

41  Thank campusk