The Grand Resort and Spa
Doubletree.com
$94
$140
$129
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach(Fort Lauderdale)(Great Value!)
$239
$169
$179
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewshot tubclothing optional areaother guestsgay placesclub roomgay guest housesgay beacha pool view roomtwo blockswilton manorshave stayed at severalgay menthe entire propertyexcellent stayhot breakfastsebastian beachthe entire staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 30, 2010

First off, although the Grand Resort is one of the larger all-gay places I've seen, it isn't especially "grand" nor especially "resort"-like. The complex is comprised of a small 1950's motel, a medium-sized converted 1950's apartment building and a few outbuildings. It has one pool, one hot tub, several sundecks and garden areas, and a spa treatments area. I'm not complaining--the size & facilities suited me fine, but don't let the name fool you.

The Grand is in a tight clump of similar gay places located in the interior blocks of the Fort Lauderdale barrier island: i.e. neither on the beach nor the Intracoastal. The closest restaurants or bars (not gay, by the way) are 3-4 blocks away: walkable, but not in the immediate vicinity. Even the gay part of the beach is a half-dozen blocks to the south, oddly enough. Fort Lauderdale's mega-gay area, Wilton Manors, with gay bars, restaurants, and shops lining a 10-block stretch of Wilton Drive, is 15-20 minutes drive away. Which sets up the odd situation, for the visitor, that one's day-life and night-life are in two entirely different locations. Both are relatively pedestrian-friendly, but one must drive between them. One must also drive, of course, to pretty much every other attraction in the area: urbanites don't be in denial about the need for a rental car!

As for the Grand, its facilities are nice enough. Well maintained--very clean--and reasonably stylish. The pool is a basic rectangle; the hot tub is a basic circle: nothing fancy in either case. The motel area could use more tropical foliage and flowers, in my opinion, to offset the rather dull mid-century architecture of the place. Our motel-style room, #28, was very spacious. [To the owners: I would suggest (since the room goes through and has a window in the rear) adding a partition & door and creating a suite. This would function better, as the publicly-visible area would be the living room and the bedroom would be private.]

The breakfast is basic, although the long hours it's available (7-11) are quite civilized. Apparently some unfortunate local regulation prevents the place from serving fresh pastries, with the result that the sealed-in-plastic offerings remained untouched. Perhaps some regulation also compels the styrofoam dishes and plastic utensils: I don't know, but don't expect elegance.

We found the Grand's service to be excellent. Friendly and accommodating. However, unlike in many other gay places we've stayed, the staff didn't exude much personality. There wasn't the grand dame vivaciously greeting the everyone, spreading goodwill, and generally becoming a common interest spurring conversation among newly-introduced guests. In the same vein, the entire place is spotlessly clean, but somehow, instead of being an unalloyed asset, it contributed to the somewhat bland, almost corporate quality of the place. Supposedly the resort was almost full, but I never saw more than maybe 8 guys at the pool, sunning, breakfasting, whatever. It seemed that folks mostly used the resort for sleeping. There was a little bit of the sexual frisson that gives gay vacationing much of its excitement, but, based on other reviews, I would assume that we were there on a quiet weekend. The guests we met were pretty typical for a gay place: primarily somewhat older and/or not-so height-weight proportional, but a sprinkling of hotties of many ages, in many cases overlapping with the notable presence of Germans. Everyone was pleasant.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2010

As a solo traveler, I took a chance 3 years ago booking a stay at the Grand. All of my stays there have been exceptional from staff to cleanliness to other guests. I tried some of the other resorts and they did not compare.
The Grand is a special place that defines hospitality. To get the full effect, visit the Spa for very professional services.

Reviewed September 19, 2010

Excellent gay resort in Fort Lauderdale.
We had a chance to have an upgrade. So we got a pool view room.
Hots are really nice + There is an happy hour everyday to talk to other guests.

a few blocks from the gay beach.

don't hesitate.

No time to taste the SPA. Maybe next time

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I can't say enough good things about The Grand. The staff is the best. This is one of very few resorts with 24 staff so you know you will always have someone on property. The staff is welcoming and so helpful. The rooms are huge, very clean and full of amenities. The location is the best if you love the beach or, just feel free to hang out by the pool or soak in the hot tub. They have a free continental breakfast, a full gym, a business center, and best of all, they have one of the best spas in Fort Lauderdale. If you're planning a trip to Fort Lauderdale, you have to stay at The Grand!

Reviewed September 8, 2010

The Grand Resort was great! I wanted an easy getaway for the long weekend so I booked the 5 night get pampered package with spa services. I upgraded to a one bedroom suite by the courtyard.

The room had a separate living ro0om, dining room off the kitchen, and bedroom. The kitchen had anything I could have needed. There were TV's in the living room and bedroom. Wi-Fi was free and very high bandwidth, which is unusual for hotels (plus a computer in the club room which I never used since I had my phone and computer). The Grand advertises reasonably priced snacks in the room, which is true (less than any hotel sundries shop or some of the local beach front shops charged, and I looked). They actually stocked the kitchen fairly well so I could have a beer, soda or snack anytime I wanted. They gave me a bottle of champagne as a welcome when I first got to my room. There were continental breakfast and happy hours every day. They were very simple but nicely presented and more than adequate. There was lemonade and ice tea by the pool most of the time, in addition to coffee and tea in the club room. There was a small but very clean, well appointed gym too, but I didn’t use that. There is guest laundry room so don’t over pack, just do a load while sitting by the pool.

They have a pool area by the office, which is not clothing optional. There is a separate courtyard by the spa which is clothing optional. The Jacuzzi was huge and well maintained. The whole property was neat and clean. There were always fresh pool towels. They let you take the towels to the beach, plus they kept a few folding chairs and such for guests to borrow. They even loaned out umbrellas for when it rained. The courtyard was very tropical and a nice place to hang out in addition to the pool. There was even a garden area between buildings if you wanted a more isolated place to sit and contemplate

I have never used spa services before, so when I had questions their front desk couldn’t answer, their spa manager, JD, came to my room to help me out personally. My massage therapist for the trip was Juan. He was great, and every single service I came away thoroughly satisfied. I think he always did more that the service required, and took care of me when I got a sun burn too! I did a spa service every day.

There was always someone in the front office, even late at night. Their staff was always up for a friendly conversation or directions around the area. The guests were all friendly, and it never felt crowded although I know the Grand was fully booked.

I didn’t bring a car, which was fine for a relaxed trip. There were restaurants and beach bars three blocks from Grand. The beach was a very comfortable two blocks away. A street led directly from the Grand’s front door right to the beach. The “tourist” area with lots of bars, restaurants, and shops was a comfortable half mile or so away. I walked there twice and took the water taxi once so it is accessible by foot just walking along the beach. If you want to do clubs or night activities, you definitely need a car though. You also need a car if you want to go somewhere to stock up the kitchen yourself. There were also taxis everywhere since there are lots of hotels along the beach.

Not only did I enjoy my stay, but my guests wanted to see the property when they visited me, and it was always a “wow” from each of them.

When I checked out, I got a pleasant final surprise. There really were none of those extra charges you get with regular hotels. This really was all inclusive except for tips and extra spa services, or food I took from the fridge or snack basket. They never up sold me on anything, rather the opposite, always providing more than expected. This helped make it a much more affordable trip than I expected. I think the spa services might have been much more expensive if I had booked them separately, so the 5 night package was an exceptional deal. It would have been even less expensive if I hadn’t wanted to be there on a holiday weekend.

I would definitely go again and recommend the Grand to my friends.

1  Thank PennJATL