“Great Spa/Resort Getaway”

The Grand Resort and Spa
Reviewed August 18, 2010

For a recent vacation to Fort Lauderdale, I was looking for a place to stay that would be relaxing, private and provide a spa/resort atmosphere to allow me to pamper myself, something this practical guy doesn’t do often enough. After Internet research and discussions with friends, the Grand Resort and Spa came up several times with positive reviews. It has been rated as one of the best gay-owned and operated spas in the U.S.

The Grand did not disappoint. The resort is very private with hotel key entrances needed to get in and fence/wall around the perimeter. Uber friendly staff is there to help with whatever you need. They were all so accommodating.

I sprung for the five day pampering package with the pool view room. The package prices were beyond reasonable for all of what you get at the Grand.

The room was large and well-maintained with great tile flooring, a huge king bed and a big walk in closet. Even the room mini-bar was quite reasonably priced.

The grounds of the Grand are lush with plants and palm trees. The spa is in the back area of the resort, where the Jacuzzi and fountain courtyard are located. The Jacuzzi was always a great place to relax before an evening out or turning in for bed.

The staff at the Grand Spa was incredibly professional and very skilled at their craft. Props to Wesley who was the best of the staff members I worked with.

My visit was during the “off” season, so it was a very quiet atmosphere with 20 – 30 guests staying while I was there. The pool, of course, was normally the center of social activity. It was well maintained with pool side happy hours with drinks and food on most days of the week. The only real draw back was not having pool side bar service, but I understood the limitations given the privately owned operation of the resort. Your room has a refrigerator so you can have your own cold beverages as needed.

The Grand is about two blocks from the beach. I spent my time there next to the resort’s pool soaking up rays. The resort’s location is pretty convenient (though not necessarily walking distance) to dining options, and nightlight is about 3 – 5 miles away.

This was my first experience at a gay-owned resort, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for this type of spa/resort experience in Fort Lauderdale. The staff obviously takes great pride in providing a pleasurable experience for their guests.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed July 10, 2010

Great place, accomodations and more! A complete great experience! Helpful staff, comfortable place, completely recommended!

2  Thank Victor H S
Reviewed July 1, 2010

I just returned from my fourth trip to The Grand Resort. I love going for a long weekend. The staff is wonderful and really make you feel welcome as soon as you arrive. The location is great; just two or blocks from the beach. A 5-10 minute walk to Sabastian Beach. Even if you don't have a car, there are plenty of places around the resort to grab a drink or a meal (the Hilton, W, and Atlantic hotel are very close).
The spa services are wonderful. The grounds are really well kept. The evening happy hour is simple but a nice addition. Some may complain about the lack of breakfast services, but it's free!
I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank HobokenSoloTraveler
Reviewed April 28, 2010

My partner and I just finished our first stay with the Grand Resort and Spa. We had only stayed at one other gay resort in the area but found that The Grand pays special attention to the details that make the resort a great place to vacation. The room was very clean and modern and the staff was very accomodating. The price was better than the last resort we used and had way nicer ammenities. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2010

This is an extremely nice place for gay couples or singles to enjoy a short or long stay. We rented one of the one-bedroom suites. The beach is just a few steps away and a short drive if you prefer nude sunbathing; haulover beach is about 45 minutes away. My partner and I stayed for three nights on a mini-vacation and were very sad to leave. The pool is surrounded by comfortable cushioned loungers and there are always fresh towels poolside. The large bubbly hot tub is clothing optional and again, fresh towels abound and there is a large attractive fountain flowing surrounded by loungers for sunning or lying in the shade. Some guys were nude and some wore trunks but everyone was very respectful and there was no inappropriate behavior.
There is also a shaded cabana with a sofa and a couple of club chairs by the fountain. Since it was our first visit, we were greeted by a very friendly fellow who gave us a tour of the entire property. There is free wireless internet available as well as a couple of computers if you don't travel with one for guest use in the club room. Breakfast is also served in this room and poolside. There is a fitness room as well as on-site laundry facilities. There is a happy hour serving wine and perhaps sangria and snacks on certain nights (we were never around for happy hour so I don't quite remember the details from our tour). The included continental breakfast offers coffee & tea, assorted danish and muffins, plain and raisin bagels with jams, cream cheese & peanut butter and an assortment of cereals and juices. The grounds are lovely. I enjoyed a wonderful swedish massage from a very handsome fellow (Olin) in the on-site spa whose technique is magical and melts away any stress from your travels. All the staff I encountered were friendly, accommodating and helpful. They must love their jobs or they are great actors. Everyone genuinely seemed happy to be there and it shows in the service they provide. The guests were chatty and friendly and everyone offered a hello. Friendly conversations poolside or in the hot tub were easy to find and be included. The suite was comfy and very clean. The decor was a little too tropical bamboo for my tastes but that is not a complaint, just an observation. I think there may be rooms that have been refurbished with a more modern motif which I would have preferred but our room was just fine. The kitchenette was stocked and there was a full-sized fridge, microwave, cook top and coffee maker. You could easily cook a meal if that's your thing. It appeared to be fully stocked with utensils. We did not use the kitchen. There were also reasonably priced drinks and snacks available in the room as well. I spoke to several guys who have tried all the gay guest houses in the area and they all said the Grand is the best of the lot. There were friendly guys from all over the world staying there. You need a rental car to get around FLL and the Grand has free parking available. Your room key is your access in and out of the grounds as well so it is a secure property . Overall we enjoyed an excellent trip experience and will return to the Grand Resort & Spa!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarkP_ATL
Reviewed March 12, 2010

I found this place to be exactly as advertised. l've stayed in other Ft. Lauderdale hotels and this one was far superior. The rooms were recently and tastefully decorated -- I wouldn't have minded being stuck in there if the weather hadn't been nice. The staff are plentiful, attentive, and very hospitable.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 6, 2009

We stayed her for only one night after a cruise in October.
Very friendly staff made us feel welcome & at home.
Our room was very spacious, overlooking the pool (and in the distance, even the ocean!). Had a great time by the pool, and we treated ourselves to a wonderfull massage in the spa as well!
We felt sorry we had to leave after such a short stay, definitely planning to go back!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple