“Great place to find great people”

The Grand Resort and Spa
Ohio City, Ohio
“Great place to find great people”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Another good visit to the Grand. People friendly and fun. Service from the staff is just right. Rooms are neat, clean and comfortable.

Definitely the place to stay when in Ft. Lauderdale. Price and services are just right.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank chris C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Just returned from my 7th trip to the Grand and I always leave happy, refreshed, and looking forward to my next trip. The property is very well-maintained and the rooms are clean, spacious, and while the linens could use upgrading, it's still a great place to stay.
I took advantage of the spa on three occasions while I was there and can say that their services are well worth the money.

Room Tip: I've always stayed on the second floor facing the courtyard and like it back there!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Key West, Florida
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We always stayed at the Royal Palm when we came up from Key West, but now that is all welcome we looked for a male only resort and found the Grand from recommendations from friends. We were not disappointed, our first had an issue that needed repair so they up graded us right away and were very apologetic. Would really recommend this all male guest house in Fort Laderdale.

Room Tip: If you want the clothing optional ask to stay in the back building.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed May 20, 2013

It is so nice to once again be able to "sing" such high praises in regards to my most recent stay at The Grand, in Ft. Lauderdale. From the moment we arrived to the minute we left, we wanted for nothing! As always, the staff was so accommodating, our room - Penthouse 1, was FANTASTIC and the clientele was friendly! Often our friends say, "you should try so and so, but we don't and I am so glad." If you haven't stayed at The Grand, you should!! We can not wait to get back.
Owen, Atlanta, Ga.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Owen D
California
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Fantastic staff. Poolside rooms in the front are converted apartments which makes them very spacious. Sociable guests. (Happy hour is a nice touch, although I prefer a bit more alcohol in my cocktails.) Great access to the beach. Much better than my last Fort Lauderdale visit.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank dntla
Frinton-On-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My Partner and I have just had 2 great weeks at the Grand..Herb and his team..Bill, John, John again and Juan. et al were just great no problems at all.. very helpful and went out of there way to make our stay enjoyable. The room was spacious and well appointed. The housekeeping was first class..OK breakfast was fine, Bagels, Pastrird, Cereal, Fruit, Yogurt, hard boiled eggs, Juices, tea and coffee..take your pick..The pool area is well kept and the hot tub in the courtyard garden is a great place to chill out late evening...All said we would both recommend this highly, and would certainly stay here again...Thanks Guys for looking after us.. all the best..Mark and Joe..

Room Tip: It was our first stay..and from what we could see all the rooms were in good places..Pay your money...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SJoe48
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I had a short, pleasant-enough stay here a couple of years ago and decided on a repeat visit, to decompress a bit after spending some time in South Beach. Generally, the place is well-run and well-maintained, but I do feel - as other reviewers have noted - that it seems to be slipping a bit in terms of upkeep. The main building is really just an old motel which has been updated. The rooms and public areas are a bit "blah", but they're reasonably attractive. The free breakfast is mostly just packaged bagels and danishes (think Days Inn, not Ritz Carlton), but the coffee was quite good. The crowd there tends a bit more toward the bearish, rather than boyish, but is respectable enough (this is, thankfully, not one of "those" kinds of places). Parking can be tight, but it's manageable. My primary concern on my second visit was my room's cleanliness - the bedding felt old, rough and musty, and the tile floors were filthy. I even asked them to mop them for me and, if they did, it made little difference - when I got back to my room later, I ran a wet towel over the floor and it came up black. To me, this is pretty inexcusable. Also, they made a rather serious breach of hotel protocol by entering my room to perform the aforementioned mopping while I had my DO NOT DISTURB sign hung. All of my personal items were lying out and about and, while I had no reason to believe anything would be missing at this establishment, I was still pretty annoyed. (As a seasoned traveler who has spent, literally, hundreds of nights in hotels over the past several years, and lost some pricey personal items along the way, I take hotel security very seriously.) Other than that employee - who seemed more peeved than apologetic when I called him on entering my room when he should not have - the staff here is generally very nice and helpful.

It's important to note that, despite the number of guest houses in the area and good proximity to the beach, there are really no bars or nightlife in the area, and surprisingly few restaurants, cafes, shops, etc. given the location (and all the high-end hotels and condos nearby). All in all, the neighborhood is actually pretty dull at night - which could be seen as a good thing if you're just looking to de-stress by the beach for a few days. But if you're looking for excitement, you'll probably want to stick to South Beach.

In short, I doubt I'll be back anytime soon, but I wouldn't necessarily disuade anyone from staying here. But I hope the management takes some immediate steps to refresh the rooms a bit, and do a much better job of keeping them clean.

Room Tip: Rooms around the pool are not particularly quiet and don't feel very private - especially with t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo