“Loved every minute of it!!”

Royal Palms Resort & Spa
Ranked #57 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Atlanta, Georgia
“Loved every minute of it!!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I just got back from a 5-night stay at The Royal Palms, and it was fantastic! I was traveling with a friend, so we opted for one of the double queen rooms. If you're traveling with a friend, this room type is ideal. You each have your own bed, and there's plenty of room for two people to spread out.

I learned from reading the reviews that the resort has two buildings, each with its own pool. The front building has the pool with the bar and the restaurant next to it while the rear building's pool is quieter. We requested in advance (and got) a room in the rear building. Our room was on the first floor, and I loved walking out of our door and having the pool right there. Indeed, the rear pool is a bit quieter and has fewer people, but it also has more lounge space. It's more peaceful and the music is more relaxed. The front pool has more of a social vibe and the music is pop or top 40; but it's by no means loud. I personally liked being by the social pool most of the time, but having the ability to retreat a few steps away to my room by the quieter pool.

I liked the modern decor of the room. It has everything you could want: a flat screen TV, plush towels and bathrobes, a safe, a mini-refrigerator, a hair dryer, a rain shower head. My only criticism of the room is the fact that the shower only has a half-door, which enables water to splash out onto the floor.

The fact that the Royal Palms has a full service restaurant and bar was the primary reason why we selected it. Free coffee is served all day long. The resort restaurant opens for breakfast at 7am and stays open for lunch until 5pm. After 5pm, you can order dinner from the resort-owned restaurant (Plaza Bistro) across the street and have it delivered. You can also go to Plaza Bistro and (as a resort guest) they'll give you a 10% discount. I had amazing lamb chops there.

The menu at the resort restaurant is pretty extensive and the food is excellent. I loved eating a hot breakfast by the pool every day: french toast, pancakes, eggs, bacon, omelets. For lunch they have burgers, sandwiches, salads, wings, calamari. The resort restaurant has an indoor seating area with a couple of flat screen TVs, and there are also outdoor tables; but the servers will bring your food and drinks to you wherever you are by the pool. Even if you're lounging by the rear pool, servers will come by and ask you if you want something to eat or drink. It was so convenient to simply charge everything back to your room. No need to deal with cash or credit cards; just sign one tab at the end of the day.

A few other items to mention about the resort. There's plenty of parking, if you have a rental car (which we did). The water temperature of the pools is kept quite comfortable. You've got to love only being a block away from the beach! Local residents and non-resort guests are allowed to use the resort facilities, and the Sunday T-dance is popular. On a typical day, there was plenty of lounge space for everyone, but if this ever becomes an issue I hope that somehow priority is given to resort guests. Otherwise, the more the merrier - in my view.

Last but not least, the service at the Royal Palms is outstanding! All of the staff was so friendly and welcoming to us. I have to give a special thanks to the assistant general manager, Brian. I loved hearing about the plans to upgrade the bedding at the resort and to expand to the adjacent building, which will add another 12 rooms and a third pool to the property. I also want to give shout-outs to our amazing bar tenders Steve, Matt and Carlos. They make killer mojitos and are such great guys. One of the servers, Juan, was really nice to us too. It was very obvious how hard all of these guys worked to make our stay a pleasant one, and it was very much appreciated. I hope the property owner and management team appreciates them as well and doesn't work them too hard, because their level of service is one of the best things that this property has going for it.

Now that I know that this gem exists, I suspect that I'll be making much more frequent trips to Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Finnish first
Munich
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are nice, modern, light and clean. Bed is great. Showers very new and clean. Only thing the room was missing was a coffee machine e.g.
Hotel staff is very friendly and welcoming. Bar staff also very competent and helpful. Pool parties on Sunday are fun but not too crowded. Because of 2 pool areas it's always possible to find free chairs and a quiet swim.
People are mixed, in general a bit younger than in other resorts.
Hotel is close to the beach and in a nice neighborhood with all the other resorts/hotels.
Looking forward to coming back soon!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank TobyX
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Front office staff is very nice and helpful especially Jason, rooms are spacious and well-kept and spacious enough to accommodate the baggage for two people.

There are two pools and both are temperature controlled and very interesting thing the pools are open 24 hours a day.

The only concern is there are too many outsiders and there is no privacy and sometimes I felt it lacks security as people are coming in and going out and people hang out in and around the resort until late nights, I have stayed in many other resorts of same type but they keep the places for guest only not open to all and keeping in mind room charges around $170 a night there has to be some privacy can’t have outsiders walking around.
If you are couple and want to spend time in private and not want to get mobbed you better find something where you can have good time and not spot by my some random strangers just hovering around the resort!

It would be excellent to be in a place where you find guest only not outsiders as it will have filtered crowd.

Finally, this place is no more clothing optional and if you are expecting for one then you better look at other options.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Raag01
Poughkeepsie
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Orlando, Carlos, Brian, Matt and the entire staff were unbelievable and made our stay at the Royal Palms an unforgettable one. The accommodations were top-notch and the food was superb, as were the drinks. Oh and did we mention the location, PERFECT! A block from the beach, 6 blocks from the gay beach. This was our first of MANY visits to the Royal Palms.

3 Thank BJW07211977
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We completely loved this resort. From the moment that we arrived, the level of customer service went far beyond what you expect. The entire place is spotless. The pools are pristine. The other guests always friendly. The food was very good. The drinks at the bar excellent.
Some highlights: The property is only a block from the beach, and there are two pool areas. Although there is no hot tub, the temperature of the pools is pretty near hot tub temperature. There are two buildings, and the pool area of the front building is more lively than the back -- so if you want a more peaceful stay, ask to stay in the back building. The property is a renovated 50s midcentury modern motel done in contemporary style, and we loved it. The only negative is that the bathroom (in our king room) was small.
The staff were exceptional. The bartender Carlos was always attentive to everybody's needs, and always remembered our names. He made the best Mojitos I've ever had. The housekeeper left the rooms spotless each day. The front desk staff were always helpful.
If we ever make it back to Fort Lauderdale, we would love to stay here again!

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I really wish I had nicer things to say about the Royal Palms Resort and Spa. We first stayed here 14 months ago and had a spectacularly wonderful time. The room was wonderful. This time, however, things have clearly slipped into a more deteriorated state. Including, unfortunately, customer service and attention to important details.

When I called three months ago to book the room, I specifically asked to stay in the exact same room I had stayed in my previous visit. They assured me that the account reservation was noted and that the room was on reserve for us. When we arrived, we were told that the room was given to another party who was staying for a longer stay. We were disappointed but were assured that we would be given an equivalent room. We then followed the gentleman who
checked us in to our room. We schlepped our bags all the way to the furthest part of the second building. We hiked up a flight of stairs to the furthest room on the second floor. When, we got there, the key didn't open the door. It was then that he realized that we actually were supposed to be on the first floor! So, we schlepped our bags back down the flight of stairs. He led us to a superior room on the first floor in the very back of building two. The room was tiny. The layout was nothing like the superior room that we had reserved- the one in the 2nd floor of building one. I immediately said to him that this was unacceptable. He said, "Wait here for a minute. I'll be back." He left us in this room with our bags, waiting for him. Five minutes later, he returned. There were no equivalent rooms so he announced that they were upgrading us to a Deluxe room. We were very appreciative. He led us back to building one, up another flight of stairs onto the second floor where we were upgraded to a large deluxe room. The room was very spacious and the layout was excellent.

Unfortunately, the bed -specifically the mattress- was a disaster. We didn't notice this until it was already 11 PM and we were crawling into bed. Clearly, housekeeping does not pay attention to the slats/platform underneath the mattress. I had to lift the mattress, replace the slats that hold up the mattress as a platform because they had fallen out of the groove. I was convinced that this is why the mattress was sagging. Sadly, fixing the slats was of little help. The mattress was completely deformed. One side was clearly more used than the other. Just looking at it head-on, anyone could see that the side closer to the restroom was clearly more used and more compressed. Besides, we're not exactly dealing with good mattresses to begin with. Honestly, I've stayed in motels with higher quality mattresses. I just decided that I would make the best of it. It was late, I was exhausted from a long day of travel and I needed to sleep.

When I woke up the next morning with an incredible backache, I went to the front desk immediately and spoke to Dan about needing this situation remedied. I suggested a new mattress or, at a minimum, to have this one flipped. He didn't even seem surprised. He said, "Yeah. We're in the process of switching out all of our mattresses. We're looking to get more plush, W Hotel type mattresses, but it's a process." He assured me that he would let housekeeping know immediately and that the bed situation would be addressed. Unfortunately, it was not. I have no idea what they actually did since it was not evident when inspecting the mattress. It seems like it was the same one. Perhaps they flipped it? Well, couldn't tell and they left no message. It felt the same to us when we came back to the room in the afternoon. I spoke to someone new at the front desk and he had no idea what I was talking about but he was going to look into it. I decided that since we only had one more night I would let it go. Big mistake. I woke up with an outrageous backache at 5 am. On vacation. I sat in a chair for an hour and a half until I finally left the room to walk to the beach to watch sunrise.

It's really a pity. There's a lot about this resort that used to be good. The location is great. The decor and the rooms are, generally, quite nice. The scene around the front pool and bar area can be fun, if cramped. But they have a lot to work on.

THEY NEED NEW MATTRESSES!!

They also need to realize that the second building pool area is of little to no attraction to their guests. There is no bar there. There is no restaurant there. The music there is faint. It is definitely second fiddle to the front pool area. Building one and building two are just not equivalent with respect to the amenities you get when you stay here. Their spa is nice, but the gym is pathetic. Especially for a gay resort/B&B. We had to leave the resorts each day to go to a real gym. Lastly, they should not start inviting all of their fans and local neighbors on Facebook to over to "join us at the pool for some fun this afternoon" when they don't even have enough seating around the pool area to accommodate all of the paying guests who are staying at the property. I mean, it's bad enough that the sun drops behind the property by 3:30 in the afternoon. The least they can do is make sure that time spent at the shady & cramped poolside is at least pleasant for all of the paying guests, that its not too overcrowded, and that there is ample seating for everyone.

It would take just a commitment to better customer service and attention to detail to make this resort great again. A little effort can yield a huge result. I seriously hope the management takes this to heart.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank DrEthan725
Wisconsin
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We highly recommend this gay men's resort, located just 1 block from the ocean and just a $15 cab ride from the Wilton Manors gayborhood. This was the only LGBT lodging we found in FLL that had a bar on premises, a nice fringe benefit if you don't want to make the trip to W.M. As a consequence of the liquor license, no nudity is permitted on the resort until after the bar closes (12M weeknights, 2AM weekends). At that time, the adventuresome head to the 24-hour pool in the buff. If you are a light sleeper, you may want to request a room nearer the quieter back pool rather than the front pool where the bar is located. We stayed here in both January 2013 and March 2013, once in back and once in front, and we did not find the noise in front objectionable. The rooms are clean, and have a frige and laptop-sized safe. Royal Palms moved to this site on Breakers Avenue only recently, and totally renovated the property before moving in from a nearby site. They offer free parking, a spa and fitness center open 7A-10P, and free WiFi. The website says they offer iPad rentals, but we were told they kept getting damaged so they have stopped that practice. The staff is generally friendly, and the food offered at the bar is good. Be sure to plan to stay all day Sunday if you can. They hold a heavily attended Sunday Funday party with live DJ at the front pool, which attracts many from the surrounding resorts. Sunday is the only day that women are allowed into the resort, although we only saw one woman there the entire time of both visits. Guests can bring in friends from outside the resort for free, as there is no Day Pass charge as in some other resorts. It is more expensive than the bargain chain hotels, but seemed on the par with other LGBT resorts in this area. They will charge a deposit of 1 night's stay immediately upon you making a reservation, and you will lose that deposit if you cancel in less than 2 weeks from arrival - which sounds severe, but we found the same policy at all the LGBT resorts in the area. We would most assuredly stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms near back pool are quieter than near front pool where the bar is located.