“A Helpful, Friendly Crew In An Inexpensive and Clean Hostel”

The Bridge at Cordova Boutique Hotel
Santa Cruz, California
“A Helpful, Friendly Crew In An Inexpensive and Clean Hostel”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

The Bridge at Cordova is not a 5 star hotel, what it is is an affordable, safe and clean place, well located, with a pleasant staff that accommodates the guest every way they possibly can. We stayed four days in June on our way to the Dominican Republic and 4 days in July upon our return, although we had a choice of getting a luxurious place for the same price, as a friend of my daughter' s works in a nearby hotel and she would have given us the same rate for a luxurious room that normally cost twice as much and would of ended costing the same as Bridge at Cordova, we chose to return to Cordova because it didn't feel like a tourist trap,it was very private and the staff was very helpful. Jorge the owner picked us up from the airport and took us in the wee hours of the morning back for our return home. He was always available, helpful and very jovial. Tommy is a treasure. He is young and sweet and will bend back to get one anything that is requested if it is at all possible. Mr. Clark, the manager helped with the bags and always allowed us to enter the office and use the phone or the computers and in our case, he at times came with his cell to bring us calls from my daughter as we did not have a cell phone and there was no phone in our room. This is a small hostel which has private rooms with kitchens and the cleaning lady comes by daily to provide fresh towels and toiletries. The staff works well together and although there is a lot of young people (we are seniors from California with young spirits) they were all friendly and courteous. What can we say about this place other than if you want to get the most for your money staying in a clean, safe, no-frills-kind-of-place, close to restaurants and shopping, and with a helpful staff, you must consider Bridge at Cordova as your home away from home.
(I just read a couple of past reviewers who said that there were bed bugs and that good reviews must be an inside job, let me assure you this is not the case with us, there might be minor flaws in a place that is a family, innexpensive hostel and one must come with an open mind to live with them, but let me assure you there were no bed bugs in our room and even 'Mr. Bates' was helpful. The place was clean, safe, affordable, but even the most expensive hotel in the world is going to have a guest that will find fault at the silver not being polished to the highest gloss, in other words, it is hard for everybody that stays at a place to be totally ecstatic, but I can guarantee you that the majority who stay at the Bridge at Cordova are happy after comparing what is available in Fort Lauderdale and the cost of hotel stays there)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GinalaCubana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Albany ny
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Jorge is a great host, pick us up at the airport, gave us a larger room, and was treated very well
By the staff. Had a good time only spent one night, then Jorge rode us the next day to the
Cruise ship. Help us out a lot. Good music in the van also would go back.

Room Tip: The area is close to everything the rooms were ok not the Hilton but if you need a p,ace To stay an...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Misskitty444
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 19, 2012

After staying there for a week before my friend and I went to Miami we were so in love with The Bridge and Ft Lauderdale we decided to go back and stay again! The owner Jorge was amazing, giving us lifts too and from the airport at least 3 times. They also had a good contact within the local diving community and I was able to get my PADI Certified Diving ticket for an amazingly discounted price!!
I can not talk highly enough of this place, don't expect a 6 star hotel but you can expect to feel like part of the family!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Adam K
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I just returned with my family from Florida after enjoying an awesome cruise experience in the Carnival Ship Freedom while visiting the Islands, as well as spending an awesome time in Old Ft Lauderdale. As much as our family cruise experience rocked for me, my wife and two kids, I wanted first to really talk about the place we stayed before our cruise and after our cruise, which is the Bridge at Cordova, our new home away from home. This was an outstanding place, not because of the décor or the ambiance, but for the most amazing customer service experience my family and I have been exposed to in a very long time as well as for their very homelike rooms.

Jorge, the owner, and his staff which is composed of mainly family members, made us feel like kings. Before our vacation my wife was apprehensive that I had booked our rooms for our pre and post cruise time in a hotel not like a Hilton or a Marriot, but wanting to save as much as possible before and after our cruise to be able to spurge during our cruise, I was sure this was the best decision, which became a reality. My wife now agrees the same. The rooms were not like a Hilton or a Marriot, but they were clean, stocked and safe. Above all, I cannot express enough about how Jorge worked so hard to make us feel like home. He even made our trip to and from the port a zinch, taking us in his comfy van, not having to worry to hail a cab or anything. We were having such a good time that we even decided to extend our vacation in Ft Lauderdale, staying a few more days at the Bridge thanks to my wife’s standby flying perks from her job. It was easy to stay longer in the area with great food within walking distance, great places to visit, and great people to talk to. My wife even scored some incredible recipes from some of the people staying there, from many parts of the world. This place was a great find. No need to pay spendy in the Ft Lauderdale area to have a safe family time. I highly recommend The Bridge. We will be back….

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Patrick S
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 22, 2012

My Trip was as follows, upon arrival to Fort Lauderdale having already been in the city multiple times.
I was very excited about the complimentary ride from the Airport I received, I explained the staff ( George ) my flight had been delayed and they were very nice in picking me up nonetheless.
When arriving at the property I was pleased to see such an open and big outdoor area with plenty of lighting at night, not so bright that you could be blinded.
It had a very serene beauty to it, and the breeze that came from the East was a nice welcome. I was greeted by the Reception Manager (Barry) who was very prompt to greet me with a nice welcome coffee
( You can not say no to coffee after traveling for hours) I was then walked to my room by Barry which was pool side. Entering the room after reading a few reviews I cannot deny I was skeptical but being part of what I do I was eager to see what it for what it really was. The room was very comfortable from the moment I walked in. The layout was perfect, I felt right at home from point zero. There was a spacious kitchen which I did not expect, there were towels nicely folded, which motivated me to take a long bath. The bathroom was in very good shape. Fresh paint and nice artwork. Soap, Shampoo and Conditioner. The property felt very safe and the neighborhood was impeccable. There was not a thing to worry about. The neighborhood is called Harbordale and upon entering you can see it boasts in nightlife which after my bath was nice to go out to and explore. I stumbled upon the nearby bar Quarterdeck. It was less than a block away. They served great food and you feel relaxed from the start. I met some friendly people at the bar who happened to be staying in the same Bed and Breakfast. We chatted and since we had something in common to talk about ( How nice George and Barry and the Hotel are) We chatted for at least two hours. Well after visiting the bar going back to the Hotel was a breeze. It's got a villa style and it feels almost too good to be true when you are walking up to it. The next morning was great waking up and walking out to the courtyard to see a crowd of travelers like myself was nice.Everyone was enjoying breakfast by the pool which was exactly what I needed after a few Pale Ales the night before. Breakfast I can say is just what you need to get by the hours of the morning. It isn't Waldorf Astoria, however it is fulfilling. They had a selection of fruit Cereals, coffee tea and Juices. This is a do it yourself breakfast nook, so it was rather nice once again it felt like my own home (with a lot of house guests) After a few days of meditating by the pool, writing my travel journal and blog. It was time to pack up, I was very motivated to go out and find places like the Bridge at Cordova. So here I am today writing to you all and acknowledging that though there is no red carpet or fancy touch screen tvs. On the other hand as serious as people condemn and judge this place for bugs I would say buy some mosquito repellent because when I was there Fort Lauderdale was a humid at night and I did have to purchase OFF.
The staff in the Bridge Fort Lauderdale are there to help you feel relaxed, I am really honored to review it and extend my gratitude again to George and Barry. The house keepers that kept my room clean everyday and the effort they all put together for me. If there is one suggestion one can make after a few days there would be poolside bar?

Until my voyage takes me back to Florida Bon Voyage.

Travel enthusiast,
Joaquin Del Fonte

Room Tip: Rooms by the Pool are very nice and breezy, plenty of seating area right outside.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Joaquin D
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Worst place I ever stayed..They need to spend some money and refurbish the rooms.I understand your in Flordia and will find a bug once in a while but the bed bugs were so bad my husband had to go to urgent care for a shot and lotion..Our friends were in the next room with the same problem only more floor bugs.How about no plugs in the bathrooms?????Owner very very hostile to criticism and became loud and rude..Got some of our money back when threatened to call Board of Health but not all of it..Who lays by pool with NO LOUNGE CHAIRS!!!!!!Might be good for 18 year olds who stay drunk and cant see..Anyone who writes agood review about this place must be the staff because I was in 3 of their filthy rooms and can't find one good thing to say about the dump....

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank DIANE V
travelsmartone, Owner at The Bridge at Cordova Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Please Ask Diane why they stayed 6 DAYS with us without no problems, in the six day they went to Key West and decide to move away from our property, they originally booked 2 rooms , we were told that we are responsible, and you did request for a refund, and you were given a refund , we told you to leave, they were paid, no because we did accept it. Bed Bugs are a problem for the society all around the US, we take precautions always in every room, and that's why hundreds and hundreds of people love us, but we cater people coming from all over the world, people from Miami, New York, guest who brings the problems to us. Even at the airport when you sitting close to another person in the plane, in a bus, in a supermarket., anywhere you could get some bug that gets in your clothes and will travel around. Lots of beautiful hotels have had this problems. Maybe on your travel itinerary to us. You could have bring it to us. Certainly I did confront you because I knew you were taking advantage of us, SIX DAYS after you arrival and on top of that you and your friend both rooms who received the refund, both of you place reviews in this source of communication whit the same TITLE, but I am grateful to every person who will understand me and my desires to provide a budget but decent and respectful and family oriented service, not a big hotel, just my place that I call "MY home with a whole bunch of rooms". We are still beloved and we will be love for the right people coming to us, no the ones who abused the system or take advantage of the Famous Phrase " The Client is always right". I do not believe in this when they use their mind to take advantage.
Laguna Niguel
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I arrived at the Ft. Lauderdale airport after midnight, and called Jorge at the The Bridge at Cordova. Within 10 minutes he picked me up in a very nice van, and delivered me and my lugage to my room for the night, for no charge. The next morning, for only $6, he took me to the cruise terminal. It was all very convenient, and professional, and a pretty good deal. Thank you Jorge. There was another gentleman at the office who was also very helpful, although I can't remember his name. He even gave me a new bottle of water, his own I think, when I asked where I can find some drinking water.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Lauderdale
Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port
Extended Stay America - Ft. Laud...
#71 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center
Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale 17th ...
#13 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Crui...
#33 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street
Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort La...
#40 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Sleep Inn Ft. Lauderdale International Airport
Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina
Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina
#55 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale

Been to The Bridge at Cordova Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!