“A good value but I would splurge on better”

Ramada Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port
Ranked #69 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Green Bay
“A good value but I would splurge on better”
Reviewed April 2, 2008

We had a group of 13 people staying at this motel for one night prior to a cruise. It was an excellent value, since it included breakfast, shuttles both from the airport and to the pier, and wireless internet. I was impressed that the motel staff called me in advance to coordinate the group’s shuttle times. All services were on time. The rooms themselves were basic dated motel rooms. They would have been okay except for the saggy bed and the bathroom door that didn’t close. Since there are no restaurants close by, we ate at the hotel restaurant which had slow service and okay food. Unfortunately, none of us got any sleep because starting at about midnight, there was a steady stream of airplanes flying loudly above us. Overall, it was a good value and very convenient for a group, but I would probably splurge on something better for a good night’s sleep.

• Liked — Free shuttles and breakfast
  • Disliked — Noise due to airport
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Cheeseheads

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tamaqua, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 1, 2008

Myself, husband and two kids ages 10 and 7 stayed at the Ramada Ft. Lauderdale on Wednesday, March 26 before our cruise on the 27th. Of course I checked the reviews prior to our departure from home and was a little scared after reading some. However, I found the motel (it is only two floors with no elevator, but this did not pose a problem with our luggage) to be nicely furnished, clean, new carpeting, nice bathroom, plenty of towels, comfortable bed, enough space for the four of us, great pool area for us to relax and the kids to swim. We had the breakfast the next morning and we found it to be very good, typical food that you would find at an all you can eat buffet. The day we arrived we walked down to the end of the road and ate at a restaurant called the "Rendevouz", which had deck seating next to a marina, very nice, good food, but pricey! Don't believe all the bad reviews, these are people looking for the Ritz Carlton, We are from Pennsylvania and usually vacation at the Jersey Shore where I find the hotels to be just OK, this Ramada was way nicer than those Jersey Shore hotels. Great shuttle service from the airport to the hotel, then from the hotel to Pt. Everglades and my compliments to the shuttle service, arranged at the Ramada before our departure to the cruise, getting us to the Ft. Lauderdale airport in time for our 9 a.m. departure considering Royal Caribbean did not leave us off the ship until 8:20 a.m.!!!! I would definitely recommend this Ramada! Great job!

• Liked — The pool area
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Kelly414
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 19, 2008

First off, the airport shuttle from the hotel came right when promised. Got us to the hotel quickly. Checking in was no problem. I was able to set up the shuttle for our cruise the next morning. They were doing some sort of renovation and so there was furniture in piles where the rooms were. The room seemed clean. We had to have a smoking room, but it did not smell like smoke, and I am pretty sensitive to it.

We went to the pool and discovered that pretty much all of the lounge chairs were broken and damp. I found one that wasn't and coveted it. We had dinner at the grill and it was ok. Maybe a bit overpriced though. The vending machines were scary, they were encaged in metal. It was very difficult to get your hand in to put money in. That night, the hotel was pretty quiet and the beds were ok. We had a back facing room so we never heard any pool noise.

In the morning, we were able to arrange a shuttle from our cruise ship to the airport, so that was nice. Not sure if it was overpriced ($8 per person), but we were just glad we had a set mode of transportation. Although after our cruise, we found the shuttle and the driver was being yelled at by a sherriff for soliciting, so that was a little unnerving. That shuttle service is a private company.

Overall, I think this place is good for a night, I would not want to stay for 8 nights like the couple in front of me in line checking in were. It is more of a motel than a hotel and not as nice as some other Ramadas I have been in.

• Liked — Shuttle
  • Disliked — Broken lounge chairs
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank chicagoheroine
cape cod
Reviewed March 13, 2008

Stayed here precruise last month for the airport pickup and shuttle to cruiseport.Paid $189.00 for the shuttle package for 2.Waited at the airport on concrete island surrounded by busses and cabs (and fumes) coming and going. Never knew when exactly the shuttle was going to show up so we couldn't leave the area to get fresh air or away from the showers. Got to the hotel and waited a LONG time to get checked in. There were 2 lines but they moved VERY slowly. I finally got checked in and wondered where and when to get the shuttle and was told to get in the other line to deal with that!!! The only shuttle to Miami was at 12:45pm which is way late for my liking. The shuttle showed up at 1:pm . We were stressed as we sat in traffic to Miami.Got to the port just before 3pm. I flew in a day early so I didn't have to stress about getting to the port on time and thats the latest I've ever arrived . NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Liked — room was ok
  • Disliked — shuttle
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mesmall
Portland, oOegon
Reviewed March 12, 2008

I thought I did my homework before booking this hotel. I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and they were favorable when I booked. Now, when I came back to post this review the unfavorable ones have risen to the top.

Someone else wrote that it is "tired". This best desribes The Ramada. It looks like it was built in the 1960's. The humidity is high in the rooms.

The pool area is nice but the hotel rooms show their age. Our room was clean. The breakfast buffet and dinner in the restuarant were disappointing.

All of the people I talked to who stayed here said they would not stay here again and I won't either. Pay the extra money and stay elsewhere.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Restaurant Food
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hopefultraveler25
New York
Reviewed March 12, 2008

It was the cheapest hotel that seemed pretty good.

Good:

Close to Ft. Lauderdale Airport.
Right off I-95.
Quiet.
Price is right.

Bad:
Hotel is old and in bad shape.
My room was very smelly.
The bathroom shower had broken knobs. Looked like they recently "repaired" the shower as grout was new and messy.
Lots of work going on. Rubish all over the parking lot.
Breakfast was typical microwaveable hot food and cold. No fruit.
Was asked rudely for my coupon as I arrived.
Charged for the safe which I did not use at checkout. Told unless someone complains, they always charge. (nice policy) Only $1.50, but was the point.
Only 2 floors, no elevator to 2nd floor.
Vending machines enclosed in steel "cages." Guess they get broken into often, but was quiet when I was there.

If you need a cheap place to sleep, that's all it is. Nothing more.

• Liked — Location and price. $95/night
  • Disliked — Bathroom shower and overall room appearance.
  • Stayed March 2008
1 Thank Jsoc
London, Ontario
Reviewed March 11, 2008

If you are going on a cruise and are only planning a one night stay, this hotel fills the bill. It has free shuttles from the airport (2 miles) and to the cruise ports (2 miles), the pool area is pleasant and scenic, the restaurant is fine. The rooms and washrooms are clean, but the whole place has a tired feel to it. It is certainly not up to the standard of other Ramada hotels that I have stayed at. The price is high, but that is usual for Ft. Lauderdale hotels at that time of year. Also, it is not near the beach or any restaurants or stores. A $20 taxi ride is required.

• Liked — The pool area
  • Disliked — The tired feel of the place
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple