“Much less than I expected”

Ramada Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port
Ranked #67 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Phoenix, Arizona
“Much less than I expected”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I decided to go with this Ramada because they had a "free" shuttle to/from the airport & the cruise port. I have stayed in Ramada's before and have always been pleased until now. I'm sure I read on the internet while booking a free continental breakfast but when I arrived there was a sign stating breakfast for a fee of $5.00. I was asked how many guests would be in my room but the 1st night I stayed pre-cruise I was only given 1 wash cloth. The 2nd night I stayed post cruise I had no towels when my room was "ready" for me to check in & after asking for them at the front desk I again was only given 1 wash cloth. I wish they would have given me no towels and cleaned up the dead sewer roach on the floor next to the bed. The lobby furniture is very dirty & well overdue to be tossed out, the rooms were overly odorized and the water leaking out of the heating/cooling units at each window onto the mushy green runner along the walk way was quite gross given I had flip flops on. The shuttle driver asked for a tip to which I don’t have a problem tipping but let it be my choice to tip you for the job you are being paid an hourly wage to do. The bath towels & sheets had rust stains on them. The hotel is in need of some desperate renovations. It’s very old and apparently not well maintained. It is not in walking distance to any stores or fast food and the only shuttle for shopping is at 3:30 & you return at 5. After I checked out of my room pre-cruise I asked for a bottle of the complimentary water. The front desk staff told me that technically it is only complimentary at check in. I didn’t understand what the issue was seeing how I had just checked out & was still standing at the desk. Did it really make a difference if I received a bottle of water yesterday afternoon when I checked in or if I got the next morning at check out; you are still only giving out 1 bottle of water. They also charge a resort fee which I am going to look up what makes an establishment a resort by definition because this was the worst resort I have ever stayed at. They charged tax on the room and then charge the resort fee and tax that separately as well. I would not stay at this hotel again and I would not recommend it. I understand establishments get old but lack of common sense (enough towels for each guest) and cleanliness (roaches) are two things to keep me away. I will say that the front desk clerk who lost me with the time issue over the bottle of water was actual very helpful in helping me get some information to contact the airline & directions on where to go for the shuttle when I returned from my cruise, the check in & out was quick & the gentleman I taking names for the shuttle was very kind. The landscaping is very lush & green and the pool looked clean from what I could tell.

Room Tip: Stay some where else
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AzRonnie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The hotel has free shuttle to and from the airport. Do not assume they will come. Be sure to call them. There was no Continental breakfast when I was there Labor Day weekend. If you go to the front desk, they will give you a coupon which allows breakfast to be bought for $5.00. The Wi-Fi in the room is hit and miss. They do have a desk top available for free. However, printing is $1.00 per page! The hotel is isolated from any restaurants or shopping. They do have a free shuttle once a day to a mall area. Cetainly, a car with free parking is helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank notmuchifnotDutch
RAFLL, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Thank you for your review. Guest satisfaction is extremely important to us. At Fort Lauderdale airport there are courtesy phones located in every terminal opposite the baggage claim areas. Our property is on page 1. We inform all guests, upon making a reservation, to call for pickup after they claim their bags. As for the breakfast we do not offer a continental breakfast, but a hot breakfast buffett with a fresh cooked to order egg and omlette station, which also includes bacon, sausage breakfast potatoes, pancakes, french toast, grits,fresh fruits, homemade muffins, cold cereals, coffee, tea, etc. On all websites it states there is a breakfast available for an additional charge. $5.00 is a small sum to pay for all of the above. For that sum you might only get a sandwich & coffee at many fast food restaurants.
There are 2 restaurants in the hotel and many restaurants in the area, with links on our hotel website. Just down the block there is a waterfront restaurant on the deepwater marina. Our transportation company is available to take guests to any area for a small fee, which is substanially less than a taxi.
Thank you once again for your feedback.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Instead of any star I will rate this location as a dark hole.
I spend the night thinking that someone was going to break into the room and kill us!
For the same price you could get something much better and better located.
The sheets were spotted and the towels were grey..

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cristina A
RAFLL, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
We consider all guest comments to be significant. Nonetheless, we find it difficult to comprehend your description as you offered no specifics. We are centrally located in a very high rent historical district/neighborhood known as Marina Bay, which can easilybe found/reserached on the internet. We sincerely apologize if your stay was less than satisfactory.
Ocean Pines, MD
Reviewed September 3, 2011

The Ramada is very convenient, if you are going on a cruise. We have stayed here 3 times. It is clean and offers transportation to and from the airport and cruise terminals. The employees have always been helpfull and friendly. It's a good value. The breakfast is OK, but the restaurant itself is not somewhere I would choose to dine. The inside bar is way too expensive. All in all it is a good value and I will stay there again, before my next cruise.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank bobsynth
Thank you for your comments We appreciate your business and are glad to have you as a repeat guest. I will share your comments at our next staff meeting. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I and 2 other couples booked this hotel for May 3, 2011, the night before our cruise departed from Ft. Lauderdale. The deciding factor was that the transfer from the airport to the hotel AND the transfer to the cruise ship from the hotel were included in the $90 rate.

The rooms were clean and adequate - not 5-star, but had all the amenities including wifi. Although we didn't use the pool it looked very inviting and we relaxed at a table in the pool area. We had a nice meal at the hotel restaurant.

They also advertise a free shuttle daily to a nearby plaza where there is a pharmacy other last-minute shopping opportunities.

I would rate the hotel about 3/5 in luxury but 5/5 for convenience.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank rowdygirl
Thank you for your review. we consider guest satisfaction to be our main priority and are glad you, and those in your party, enjoyed your stay with us. we hope you consider us again should your travels find you back in our area. Thanks again for your comments.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Booked through Ramada - specifically asking if there was a resort fee - told no (the guy even chuckled as though I were silly to think such a thing), arrived after a 24 hr drive to be told there was a $5/day resort fee. Got to the room, no Do Not Disturb sign -- made one and stuck it to the door - house keeping knocked the next morning, we yelled we didn't need them. They left and CALLED! Asked front desk for a sign and were told they didn't have any that they were "in the room". Woman at desk gave me the other items (toilet paper and wash clothes) we wanted and said she would contact housekeeping and tell them not to bother us. We did finally get a door tag, but we also unplugged the phone... Internet password cancels out every 24-36 hrs and you have to call the front desk to get a new one... Door lock doesn't work - looks like it's circa 1970... Took 15-20 tries to get into the room. Tried calling for room service at 9:55 (after rushing to get back to make 10pm) and was told it was too late, despite the flier saying "call to order 5-10pm". There are 3 outlets in the room (not counting bathroom) and everything is plugged in w/ extension cords/things to add outlets to the existing room. The fan in the bathroom doesn't work -- so we just left the bathroom door open. AC keeps the room comfortable, but not cool -- we have it set to "60" and it's probably about 73-75. The fan also turns off when on continuous mode. Overall the room needs updating. Today was the final straw. We got back to the room w/ bags and couldn't get into the room at all. I went to the front desk and told the guy working there that the keys wouldn't work. He claimed it was "demagnitized" and stuck it in the machine. He told me I couldn't keep it near other cards, cell phones, etc. I asked him where I was supposed to keep it. As I was walking away he said "Well, I can't keep it for you." I turned around, told him he was rude, and asked for his name. This was the final straw. We're checking out a week early! Also found on their facebook page that if you book for a week through them you get the hotel for $50/night - that's $11/night cheaper than we paid and we called the hotel directly to book.

The room was generally clean (carpets could use a wash walking around getting ready got brand new socks dirty) -- so other than their intense persistence, house keeping does their job. Checked for bed bug evidence on the matress and did not see any.
Just as an FYI The breakfast buffett is coffee entemanns-style donuts, pound cake and english muffins.

Others have mentioned the parties in the bar and the airplanes. In our room you could hear that, but it wasn't much of a problem - more background noise than anything else (we were on the first floor). Near the main office or on the top floor might be a different story.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank roamer025
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I stayed for 1 night in June 2011. I only booked here because it was very cheap using my airline booking company. As it turns out, it wasn't cheap enough. The place is run down, like ten million spring breakers have visited over the years. The man who checked me in was not friendly, borderline rude, and seemed bored to death with his job. The woman who worked in the evenings was very nice, but overwhelmed with the line of people which seemed to grow and grow. My room was actually clean, which is good, but the grounds of the place were pretty gross. Even the pool area was not great, it was just okay. I asked for a quiet room, which they said wouldn't be a problem, but I had to change rooms at about 9pm due to loud noise from party in the club upstairs from the lobby. They said there usually wasn't music on Thursday nights. My original room was vibrating and the noise was unbearable from the club/rave pounding music. The nice lady in the office did move me to the very back of the hotel, and luckily I could not hear the music anymore. Anyone in any room closer probably did not sleep that night from the music, which I assumed went on until the early hours of the morning. The hotel was extremely difficult to access due to weird freeways, one-way streets, and on-ramps. If you miss this one little street, you're off to the airport and a 15-20 minute delay where you have to drive all the way through the airport, turn around, and try to access the hotel coming from the other direction. I missed the turn off again, it's almost impossible to figure out the streets, and it was another 10 minutes until I got on the right track and made the right exit. I have a pretty good sense of direction and just couldn't figure out the streets!! For this reason alone I did not like the hotel. Good hotels are accessible and easy to get to. Also, there is NOTHING within walking distance--no shops, restaurants, gas stations. The beach at Fort Lauderdale is about 15 minutes away, but very easy to get to. The hotel is under a freeway and in a pretty gross location. On the positive side, I will say that the hotel had a pretty decent breakfast served in the restaurant area (continental was free, $3 to add hot foods such as eggs and bacon), and the Hard Rock Seminole Hotel and Casino was only about 10 minutes away. I had a blast there!! As for the Ramada, if you're young and just want to party in the club, you'll be fine. If you want a decent location or peace and quiet, skip this one!! Please email with questions, JenPerna@aol.com.

Room Tip: Stay in the back of the hotel to avoid the music.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo