“Just okay. Was not impressed.”

Mai-Kai Restaurant & Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Mai-Kai Restaurant & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #181 of 1,349 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Oakland Park Boulevard
Description: Since 1956, we have captivated people with our warmth and magical aura. The Mai-Kai authentically recreates a Polynesian Village, complete with tiki torches, a thatch roof, tropical gardens, waterfalls and museum quality artifacts. The exciting Islander Revue is performed nightly by native Polynesian dancers in colorful hand sewn costumes. The Hawaiian wedding dance will seduce you, and the Samoan Fire and Knife dance will leave you speechless. The Revue is a favorite of all ages. The award winning cuisine includes American and Cantonese dishes, many prepared in our Chinese Ovens, and each dining room reflects a different Island of Polynesia. The Molokai Bar is a South Seas saloon with over 51 tropical drinks and live music nightly. "Home of the Mystery Drink" served by our sarong-clad maiden, with an orchid lei. Try our House Specialties - Mai-Tai and Barrel o'Rum. Happy Hour nightly 5 - 7 pm. Our Mai-Kai trading post and gift shop will give you a chance to bring home your favorite memories of the Mai-Kai. From Hawaiian shirts and hats to Polynesian Jewelry, everyone is sure to find something to bring home
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The food is just okay. There were 7 of us and we ordered a huge variety of food. Nothing was great. The goat cheese salad was very good but very small. The main courses were okay. One of us had the teriyaki combo and it was way too saucy and not good. The peanut chicken was good. The salmon was good but nothing special. The appetizers tasted like they were out of a frozen bag from Costco. There is a huge selection of yummy drinks but they are small and overpriced. The polynesian show is just okay. If you have ever seen a real Hawaiian luau do not go here as you will be very disappointed. The best part is the fire show. This is not somewhere I would go back to. On a side note, the valet guy made it very clear to us that he works for tips. It was a little obnoxious.

1  Thank Ann R

Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

We came here while on vacation for a family dinner... Primarily because it was recommended for good happy hour specials.

Nice place, crowded, BUT once seated we were informed that we had to be in the bar for the specials. Not wanting to drag 2 kids to the bar, hubby went to fetch our drinks. While I perused the kids menu, I found that the KIDS meals were $17.95??? For chicken tenders? My kids are both under 8 and will not finish anything they order but I decided to just deal with it.

Then, my husband returns to inform me that I have to go with him to get the drink.... So we are supposed to abandon our kids, to get a happy hour discount? Return to our tables and pay $20 bucks per child for a meal? I don't think so.

We left. Headed to The Foxy Brown, a family friendly restaurant with excellent service, delicious food and reasonable prices. Glad the Mai Kai in a roundabout way introduced us to the Foxy brown, a small intimate jewel of a restaurant that honors it's discounts without having to abandon your kids.

2  Thank Evelyn F
Reviewed December 26, 2013

While in town on vacation we decided to finally try the Mai Kai for dinner and to see the show. On previous visits we had driven past the restaurant but just never got around to trying it out.

What a unique fun experience we had! This is a gem not to be missed!!

The drink menu is extensive and is full of exotic tropical Polynesian choices. I tried the planters punch and it was delicious and very strong.

The food was fresh tasting and the portions very generous.

The show was phenomenal, the costumes so colorful and the performers were very talented. It was very entertaining as well as fascinating to watch. There is a narrator who explains the meaning of each of the dances.

Once we placed our order we walked the pathway and viewed the gorgeous tiki gardens and waterfalls...just stunning and not to be missed

1  Thank NewEnglandTraveler23
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

This was like a vVegas show in Fort Lauderdale. I asked for a table in the front row and got it. Ask for front row and tip the maitred it is totally worth it. The women in he ashow were Polynesian dancers dressed like a luau. The guys are dressed the similar way and twirl fire blazing battons. The live music with Polynesian drums and singers were great. The food was ok but you are here for the show. Mostly Chinese food but lobster and seafood dishes are available for those that want to splurge. Valet parking lot is free. We arrived and seated right away. It took a while for the waiter to arrive and take our drink order but once he took our order the services was exceptional. I left a 25% tip since it was so good. After the show take a stroll through the Polynesian garden hidden in the back it is beautiful with great scenery and picture opportunity with teekiee torches and totem poles. Great for all ages. Cost me $200 for four including tip, drinks are fancy in a Coconut glass or pineapple glass type drink for $12-$14 each. Yes they pack you in with not much elbow room but it is a popular choice for Fort Lauderdale tourist to go.

2  Thank Travelerdarren
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Food sucked..my daughters ribs kids meal was a plate of bones LOL. Seriously, I have never reviewed any restaurant. It sucked so bad that I took the time to do it