“Over priced.”

Mai-Kai Restaurant & Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Mai-Kai Restaurant & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #184 of 1,358 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Oakland Park Boulevard
Description: Since 1956, we have captivated people with our warmth and magical aura. The Mai-Kai authentically recreates a Polynesian Village, complete with tiki torches, a thatch roof, tropical gardens, waterfalls and museum quality artifacts. The exciting Islander Revue is performed nightly by native Polynesian dancers in colorful hand sewn costumes. The Hawaiian wedding dance will seduce you, and the Samoan Fire and Knife dance will leave you speechless. The Revue is a favorite of all ages. The award winning cuisine includes American and Cantonese dishes, many prepared in our Chinese Ovens, and each dining room reflects a different Island of Polynesia. The Molokai Bar is a South Seas saloon with over 51 tropical drinks and live music nightly. "Home of the Mystery Drink" served by our sarong-clad maiden, with an orchid lei. Try our House Specialties - Mai-Tai and Barrel o'Rum. Happy Hour nightly 5 - 7 pm. Our Mai-Kai trading post and gift shop will give you a chance to bring home your favorite memories of the Mai-Kai. From Hawaiian shirts and hats to Polynesian Jewelry, everyone is sure to find something to bring home
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

The food and drinks were very good but EXTREMELY over priced. The waiter will give you a drink menu which makes you feel like you need to order a drink or you will never see the food menu. Drinks are priced about average for the environment. Once you see the menu prices you will be a little taken back. I ate the same meal with a salad for $1 more than half the price for lunch at another reataurant and the quality was comparable. I recommend eating here but expect to pay the price.

1  Thank Daisy623

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We went with a group of friends for my 30th, had a good time. The show is amazing, something you have to see for sure. The food was amazing, just WAY over priced. The drinks are way overpriced and there is just nothing you can do about it. Our service was good until the end, there was a full house so we understood. Def an experience.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This restaurant provides a show with South Sea entertainment. It was a blast from the past, as I remember when these restaurants were very popular and in every city. Usually restaurants of this type have terrible food. Our food was very good. We had a coupon for the set food choices with the show. We ordered two different meals in our party and both were great. I had some sort of chicken and vegetable dish that was delicious. You can also order from a regular menu which I'm sure has a lot more choices, but we were using a fixed price arrangement. I liked the drink menu, as it categorized the alcoholic drinks as mild, medium or strong. I got a medium planters punch and really enjoyed it. I don't like really strong drinks as I'm not a heavy drinker. The show was entertaining. When we finished our entrees, they suggested that we walk to the gardens at the back of the restaurant. Lovely plants, waterfalls and tiki statues everywhere. A fun photo-op. They have valet parking, but really the parking lot is so close to the restaurant, we didn't use it. If you have someone who has walking problems, you might want to take advantage of it, as the parking lot is not in good condition. There is broken and uneven pavement that would be difficult and perhaps cause a fall. There is a gift shop that had some nice items (not all junk). There is some very pretty decor, even in the ladies room, we had to take a picture. I had read about this restaurant on previous trips, but we got coupons for attending a timeshare presentation. Even if we had paid the price of the coupon, it would have been worth the money.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Having been to many Polynesian islands and seen the shows in their native countries, I was prepared to not enjoy my Mai Kai experience. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, the restaurant was very dimly lit. I had very little interaction with the staff prior to our dinner reservation, so I can't speak to the booking process. The person who did make the reservation did remark about the lack of seating choice (perhaps they can offer seating choice options when taking reservations?).

All of the food that we had was tasty - a duck dish and a fish dish plus some appetizers. The show, however, is the reason to go back. It was really good, informative, and definitely entertaining. Overall, having the "authentic" experience with which to compare Mai Kai, by the end of the show, I had forgotten that I was not on vacation. This was definitely on par with other tourist-oriented shows (such as the Polynesian Cultural Center in Honolulu).

Also, the gardens were gorgeous and worth the brief walk through.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Mai Kai impresses from the very beginning with the grand build with a straw roof and entrance which is valet optional. Once inside, it will take several minutes for your eyes to adjust. It is quite dim in the restaurant, adding to the Polynesian ambiance. Once you are shown to your seats (reservations only... days in advance), you are shown the drink menu. If you want a strong rum drink, you'll get one here. The waiters and hosts seem to be divided into several classes. There are the servers with the same Hawaiian shirts on. There are servers with blue sport jackets on. And there are hosts with white suits on that sometimes made me think it was a mafia owned joint (a positive thing). The grounds and show are amazing. Could go on...