“Don't miss history”

Mai-Kai Restaurant & Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Mai-Kai Restaurant & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #194 of 1,371 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Oakland Park Boulevard
Description: Since 1956, we have captivated people with our warmth and magical aura. The Mai-Kai authentically recreates a Polynesian Village, complete with tiki torches, a thatch roof, tropical gardens, waterfalls and museum quality artifacts. The exciting Islander Revue is performed nightly by native Polynesian dancers in colorful hand sewn costumes. The Hawaiian wedding dance will seduce you, and the Samoan Fire and Knife dance will leave you speechless. The Revue is a favorite of all ages. The award winning cuisine includes American and Cantonese dishes, many prepared in our Chinese Ovens, and each dining room reflects a different Island of Polynesia. The Molokai Bar is a South Seas saloon with over 51 tropical drinks and live music nightly. "Home of the Mystery Drink" served by our sarong-clad maiden, with an orchid lei. Try our House Specialties - Mai-Tai and Barrel o'Rum. Happy Hour nightly 5 - 7 pm. Our Mai-Kai trading post and gift shop will give you a chance to bring home your favorite memories of the Mai-Kai. From Hawaiian shirts and hats to Polynesian Jewelry, everyone is sure to find something to bring home
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Mai-Kai is one of the few remaining restaurants of its kind - living history and NOT to be missed if you are planning a visit for FLL. We made our first visit more than 10 years ago and have travelled back at least once a year since. On our most recent trip we visited every night for dinner, drinks or both. The bar is incredible and the food is unique and delicious. The floor show is fun if its your first visit and a walk around the elaborate tropical gardens is a must. Service is first class and if you are savvy and study the specials on the website (www.maikai.com) you can have a great evening out on a budget - half price drinks and apps during a happy hour that goes until seven as well as lots of different reasonably priced dinner options. One of my all-time favorite places. Great for couples and families.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

The food is very good but not memorable. However, it has atmosphere. We enjoy sitting in the garden area.

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Mehhh. I could take it or leave it. Place is kinda run down as the themed decor appears original and rusty. I'm surprised the place hasn't burned to the ground as the show uses live fire juggling and the room is covered in straw!

Drinks were fun, with strong rums and fresh tropical juices. Recommend the 'Jet Pilot' and 'Mutiny', at least one of each will set your swerve for the night, but will drain your wallet. Drink prices are between $10-14 average apiece! Apps were mediocre, and entrees were universally subpar for our large group.

The show was run down too, like its been performed 10,000 times. The female dancers weren't too enthusiastic and the couple dudes had troubles keeping up with them.

This theme could be done much better. Both restaurant and staff need a makeover.

Oh, and I think the valet staff swindled me $5 for self parking as when I came out I saw a sign that said 'free valet parking'.

1  Thank bn_trav
Reviewed January 16, 2013

A Polynesian villiage in South Florida? A landmark on Federal highway for well over 50 years now and still going strong. It's an amazing place. Long before there was a Walt Disney World, this was a vacation destination for visiting Northerners escaping cold winters at home.

I hadn't been inside for several years before my recent visit and tended to just remember it as a tourist trap but we went for a family reunion and were all surprised at how good a time everyone had. The food was better than we remembered and the drinks were very interesting and lots of fun. The show was terrifically entertaining and the facilities most impressive.

It's not inexpensive but it's all in all a good value for your tourist dollar. If you haven't been there; you haven't seen Fort Lauderdale. If you haven't been for a while; you really oughta see it again. It's lots more fun than Disney!

1  Thank Bob B
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I went to celebrate my birthday but instead I had the worst experience. Beside the performance which was great, the food was horrible. The barbecue ribs was hard as brick and it was cold. I self parked my park and paid $5. I returned to find out my car was broken into and i went to management and their response was if you didn't valet park your car then it's not our problem. As a customer, whether i valet or not, i should feel secure that my car is gonna be safe. It doesn't take much to have someone patrol the parking area. I don't recomment anyone to ever go to this restaurant because food is bad and they don't feel that it's their responsibility to make sure that no customer car is broken into while on their property.

3  Thank Thierry D