“Best value for great BBQ”

Tom Jenkins' Bar-B-Q
Ranked #75 of 1,374 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Went to this restaurant before leaving from airport which is very close. chopped pork sandwich, greens, baked beans were all excellent. Very reasonable prices also. the sauce was a welcome change from other sauces, it had a worcestershire, coffee flavor that was really good.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was our first experience so we sampled several items, Baby Back ribs, Chicken, Brisket, Chicken Sandwich, Beans, Coleslaw, Mac and Cheese, Corn Muffin, french fries, ice tea and Lemonade. This is an order at the counter and eat at picnic tables type place. The place was a bit filled with smoke. It is an older looking place but things were clean and neat. A fairly large group came in just after us but it seemed that everyone got served quickly. The person taking our order was polite if not a little hard to hear. When we went, a Saturday for lunch, it was not crowded. We ordered, were given a buzzer thing to notify us when our food was ready. It took about 15 minutes to get our food. Ribs were not fall off the bone but were well cooked and tasted very good. They were not as meaty as some I have had. The portions were decent but not over the top. I had a breast and wing. The chicken was just a little bit dry but otherwise well smoked and flavorful. The sauce provided with the meal was more of a sweet sauce with just a touch of heat. I liked the sauce but it appears they only have the one type of sauce. All of the meat comes dry (as in not sauced). The chopped brisket was the down note of the meal. It was dry and a little tough. It was well smoked however and there were some good pieces that I could pick through. Now for the sides. The Mac and Chees was quite good with some crust. The beans were excellent with a strong BBQ flavor, I did not care for the coleslaw - It was bitter but I do prefer a mayonnaise based slaw rather than this vinegar slaw. Corn muffin had good flavor but was a bit heavy. Overall this was a very good experience and I would go again.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I had a great meal here recently, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who loves smoked bbq. Inside, Tom Jenkins is busy, smoky (wood smoke that is), and loud. I can see a large, open brick oven pouring smoke over cuts of meat and out into the kitchen. Spiced, blackened crust as far as the eye can see. I’m practically drooling on myself in anticipation. There are picnic tables with way too many layers of polyurethane inside and similar coated log slab tables outside. This is exactly what I remember from the bbq restaurants my dad used to take me to when I was a kid while traveling up and down the east coast on various family vacations. In other words, I’m happy before I even taste the food. And who better to share the experience with than my old man, down for a visit… to the food! Stick to meat, share, and more is better is how I feel about bbq. We split a chopped pork sandwich, a full slab of ribs, corn muffins, and hush puppies. The chopped pork sandwich is served with the meat separate from the bun. As if it’s your call whether or not you want to make it a sandwich or eat it straight. It’s different, and I like it. The smoke flavor is consistent throughout, and it’s excellent - fatty, juicy, and smoky all at once. Take a break for a hush puppy – more good work here. On to the ribs. Let me hop on my soap box for a minute here. Rib meat done well should pull away from the bone easily. It should not fall off the bone when you pick it up. For a place that churns out so much meat requiring long cooking times, I have to say, I’m impressed. The meat is tender, it has a solid smoke ring throughout, it has a phenomenal black crust that I could eat on its own, and as previously mentioned, pulls away nicely. I take a minute to shove some corn muffin in my face before I’m overcome by the ribs… dense and delicious. This place is on fire! We eat nonstop until I realize all the food is gone… a single tear rolls down my cheek… To summarize I’ll leave you with this: I love all food, but bbq will always rank number one for me, and far above the rest. This is the best bbq I’ve had in a looooong time, and I will forever reserve one night with each visit to Ft Lauderdale, for a trip to Tom Jenkins.

2  Thank Ron O
Reviewed October 19, 2012

If you are looking for a place with good ribs (and fried catfish) this is it. However, if you are looking for fine dining this is not it. It is very casual. You line up to order, wait for your number to be called, pick up the good food and proceed to one of the picnic tables that you may be sharing with other friendly folks. There is no real "service" but if you need anything there is always someone nearby to help. In addition to the delicious ribs and catfish they have some interesting side dishes. I highly recommend their mac & cheese and peach cobbler. To get a look at their menu go to:
TomJenkinsBBQ.com Just don't dress up for the great meal in a friendly atmosphere.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

First let me start of by saying we are live in Texas, have experienced Kansas City Ribs, St.Louis, Memphis and the Carolina's ribs. I know some good ribs. These are like buffet style ribs and there is nothing wrong with that, it just that I was expecting them to be exceptional due to ratings. Living in the south you get the chance to experience some really great seasoned foods, this well seasoned well. It was just seemed like the meat was warmed up from few days prior to serving me. The side are a joke. The corn on the cob was a joke, it has to be birds eye frozen corn cut in half. People go to the store and buy fresh corn and boil it. The green beans had a strange vinergary taste. I dare not even attempt to order the sweet potato pie. I give them