“Sassy Southwest Cafe in the Heart of Ft. Lauderdale”

Canyon Southwest Cafe
Ranked #9 of 1,407 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Description: An oasis of inspired Southwestern fusion, Canyon consistently serves an innovative and surprising array of American artisanal cuisine with Asian, South and Central American undertones. Chipotle, wasabi, ginger, cilantro, lemongrass, basil, jalapeño, mango and red chilies accent the freshest seafood and wild game available. Seductive lighting and a constantly evolving mix of music enhances your dining experience and keeps the intimate space filled with a captivating and energized clientele every night. Immerse yourself in the ambiance as you savor one of Canyon's notorious Prickly Pear Margaritas.
Reviewed September 13, 2013

For my partner's birthday, he wanted to go to the Canyon Cafe. We were given a great corner table, with curtains that could be drawn for privacy (we left them open to enjoy the restaurant's lovely decor). We surveyed the interesting menu, and my partner decided to order two appetizers for his dinner, one, a fabulously flavored bowl of mussels with pieces of lobster, onions and a savory broth for dipping Canyon's delicious bread. His second appetizer was venison, cooked to his liking (as rare as possible), a small portion, but he loved it. My appetizer was spectacular - a smoked salmon tostada (you can also order tostadas with other toppings). Imagine a crunchy quesadilla loaded with delicious, thin-sliced smoked salmon; truly one of the best appetizers I have ever had. This was followed by a very tasty pork risotto, the pork tender and the risotto aromatic and perfectly chewy. The risotto was topped with three excellent seared scallops. The food gets a top rating, however, one flaw worth noting. Our food did not arrive at the same time. A server told us that their kitchen was small, so that was making it difficult to get our food out at the same time. For the price level, and the fact that there were just two of us dining versus a large party, we felt that this was not an acceptable excuse. But, because of the food and atmosphere, I can heartily recommend this restaurant. (Note: they do not accept reservations, so "in season," it is likely that you will wait a decent amount of time for a table.)

Reviewed September 10, 2013

As a serious foody, this place is AMAZING! Went here for my anniversary dinner and everything my friends told me about this place was on point.

Service was impeccable. Decor romantic and cool at the same time.

Now the food... OMG!!! some of the best food I have had since NYC or New Orleans.... and I LOVE eating in New Orleans.

First our salad: Lobster, Avocado with warm slab cut bacon vinaigrette... Huge chucks of lobster, avocado and bacon. One of the best salads I have ever had. We wound up ordering a second one because it was just too good to be true LOL

Blue corn crusted oysters... they literally melted in your mouth. The best oysters I have ever had, perfect for me because I don't like them raw.

Shrimp Tostadas & Chicken Tostadas were both prepared completely different, with the perfect flavors to accompany each main ingredient.

Now, the prickly pear margaritas... first let me say there is only two liquors I really drink or enjoy, one is champagne and the other is tequila. I love tequila on the rocks, and the occasional well made fresh margarita. So my friends were telling me I must try their signature drink. I had 3 of these amazing drinks just to make sure I liked them. (wink wink) I know I'm repeating myself a lot but THE BEST MARGARITA I HAVE EVER HAD.

This place does not take reservations. During the week they have 1/2 off apps at the bar and $5 Prickly Pear Margaritas for the ladies til 7p. The place opens at 5:30p or so it said on their website. We walked in the door at exactly 5:40p and the bar was full and half the tables were already taken. So not sure how the place was so crowded all of a sudden but I would suggest you get there when the door opens. We will be doing this in the future because the Canyon will be our new favorite spot for sure!!!

2  Thank Michael B
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is one of my wife's and mine favorite for all of the reasons that make an excellent restaurant. The atmosphere is intimate, personnel accommodating and food is always the best. Do not hestate to give it a try.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

This restaurant is a long time gem in the center of East Fort Lauderdale next to the Gateway theatre. I have been there on various occasions over the years and the only problem is it is too popular and does not take reservations. Therefore, try to go very early or late unless you feel lucky. The food is outstanding and the service is attentive and charming. Lots of different dishes,focusing on mild to spicy southwest cuisine, each one superb and large size portions. There is a good choice of fish and meat dishes with nightly specials. It is hard not to overeat and eat less than three courses, especially if one likes quasedilla's or bread pudding. It has a good wine list that is not outrageous and a bar where you can sit or wait for a table.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Not your average American cuisine, in a good way! The chef(s) put a nice Southwest flair on standard restaurant food. And with some items you don't see everywhere else. Service was great, too!