“Disappointing - I so wanted to love it, but couldn't”

Green Bar & Kitchen
Ranked #54 of 1,344 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Plant based Eats, Gluten Free Options, Vegan, superfood cafe serving mouthwatering plant-based eats, superfood smoothies, cold-pressed juices, organic bakery, craft beers and wine
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have been DYING to try this Vegan spot, so I was thrilled when my vegan friend came to visit from New York - we headed straight over there for lunch.

She asked the guy behind the counter if everything was vegan - and he sort of looked her up and down and said to her kind of like she was not all that bright (and I have to agree with her, it WAS kind of snippy) "it's all PLANT-BASED". So she said, well, what do you mean? do you mean it's all vegan? And he sort of sighed and said "if that's what you want to call it." She and I just looked at eachother. Are we missing something? Is the word Vegan not really acceptable here??? Is it frowned upon to ask if something is vegan? She was a little put off - all she was trying to find out was if there were any animal products used at all and I don't understand why he had to respond like that. So ok, not off to a good start.

Anyway.... moving on. My friend ordered some of the soup, a cup (very small bowl) and it was so spicy that she only had a few spoonsfull - I wish they'd mentioned that it was spicy, she would not have ordered it. She said it was very good, but she doesn't like spicy things so she didn't want to finish it. So if you like spicy soups, then I'm sure it would have been excellent.

I ordered the humus wrap which looked lovely but there was literally a tiny shmear of humus on the bottom of the wrap - not enough to even taste (although I pulled some of the greens out just to check and see if there was humus in the wrap - there was - but it certainly was the absolute bare minimum that can be put on a wrap. It had plenty of sprouts and greens in it, but you could hardly call it a humus and veggie wrap. I can honestly say that I did not taste any humus and visually only saw just a tiny thin strip on the bottom of the wrap. Would I pay $8 for that again? no. I was looking forward to a nice delicious wrap with humus in it - and what I got was a veggie wrap with half a teaspoon of humus in it. Not what I had been hoping for at all.

I had a bottled iced tea which was lovely for $2.50, my friend had a coconut yoghurt which was OUTSTANDING, with fruit and nuts, and also had a cookie - the total was $26 which I thought high for iced tea, a yoghurt, a disappointing hummus/veggie wrap and a cup of soup and a cookie. She left most of her soup, and I didn't care for it either (too spicy or peppery), and overall I just left very disappointed. I had been so excited to try this place, after reading the great reviews - I thought this is going to be my go-to place, because we VEGANS and PLANT-BASED FOOD LOVERS desperately need more options and I live literally 5 minutes away. It doesn't come anywhere close to The Green Wave Cafe just off West Broward Boulevard - which is so good that even my non-vegan husband loves going there - Green Bar, sorry, but you were disappointing and pricey I doubt I'll be back.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Not easy to find - inside strip mall with entrance next to an Irish pub but oh so worth the journey. The menu is limited but for the vegetarian/ vegan: exquisite: a bit of cooked, some raw. The burger & a sandwich came with gluten free bun/ bread that knocked the socks off. Never ever have I tasted wheat free that I would gladly chose over gluten products. (I have to try the raw Lasagna next time). If it matters: the staff members are warm & helpful people.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our spas are just down the street from the Green Bar. My Husband and I and all of our staff members are their biggest fans! We eat their ever chance we get while we aren't juicing fasting. Don't expect hefty portions. This is whole nutrient rich foods that are deliciously prepared leaving your palate in absolute bliss! Filling you with nutrient rich foods rather than empty calories so you feel satisfied without an excessive amount of food.
I'm addicted to their veggie burger and avocado toast with truffle oils and sprouts... OMG!!! Its really out of this world.
My husband loves the lasagna and coconut bowl. Also try the Chocolate Monkey shake and their deserts. Everything is natural and organic, vegan and gluten free!!
The owner Elena and her staff is the friendliest ever and the place is so cute tucked in a little plaza by Waxy's. It has a cute courtyard to eat outside and community tables for when your alone and want to connect with other cool mindful vegetarian lovers.
We highly recommend them to all of our spa guests.
Namaste` Tara- Spa 66 | Hyatt and Diamante Day Spa :)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I am not vegan or gluten free but this is such a cute, fresh new restaurant in town. They have a lovely patio which you can't see from the street, the inside seating is modern and convivial and the service is the friendliest! No meat here but a great food experience if you are willing to try new things. They also have a smoothies bar. The only negative is that they are not open before 10AM!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Delicious vegan food presented beautifully. Perfect for lunch.our party of 3 were all impressed with the pleasant surroundings and friendly staff. Noise levels were high at lunchtime, so we chose to eat outside on their deck. Food was lovely. The wines looked interesting, so will definitely return to sample more dishes with a drop of wine.