“Excellent food, but the service/selection ruined our visit.”
Review of Red Dog Cantina - CLOSED

Red Dog Cantina
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Birmingham, Alabama
“Excellent food, but the service/selection ruined our visit.”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Red Dog Cantina is the first place that my buddy and I ate at when we arrived in Ft. Lauderdale (recommended by the hotel and was walking distance). When we arrived, they were not very busy and were seated immediately; however, we were warned by the server that they were understaffed and the wait would be a while. We were ok with this, and when our waitress finally arrived, we placed an order for a frozen drink and chips/queso/salsa. The drink came out quickly and was excellent, but it took a while for the chips/queso to arrive. When we asked for additional chips when we finished what we were given, we were told that they were out (AT A MEXICAN RESTARURANT?!?!). So we placed our entree orders and another drink order and waited . . . and waited.

By this time, the restaurant had filled up, yet the staffing was still way to low. They were forced to tell people that the wait would be over an hour to be served (even though there were available tables) and that many of the appetizers and entrees were no longer available. In their defense, my buddy and I arrived at our hotel with a large tour party for the BCS National Championship Game, so there was a pretty strong surge in hungry customers. However, this was at lunchtime on a Saturday, and every bar/restaurant in the city knew that there were crazy crowds coming to town for the game!

When the fish tacos that I ordered arrived, they were very good; however, without chips to munch on with the meal, it just wasn't the same. If the restaurant was sufficiently staffed/stocked, I'm sure that I would have thoroughly enjoyed my meal, but they just weren't prepared . . .

Visited January 2013

Providence Rhode Island
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Great atmosphere but food is only adequate. Steak fajita was a little greasy and avocado/chicken salad was heavy on the red onion and green pepper. We would definitely go again if we were in town.

Visited January 2013
Smithtown, New York
“Friendly Staff”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stopped by this bar / restaurant with my family, including 2 kids, late on a Thursday night after arriving in Fort Lauderdale and wanting a quick bite to eat and it was close to the hotel we were staying at. We were very hestitant to walk in since we had our kids and it looks like a party bar but it was pretty empty. It is open to the street and has a big "U" shaped bar in the middle. There are lots of TV's on the walls showing sports so it might be considered a sports bar. The food, although pretty basic, exceeded our expectations .. it was pretty good ... including my daughters chicken nuggets (real boneless chicken) and fries. Our server was average to slacking but friendly. The one standout is that two of the owners or managers (i don't know who they were) did stop by our table a number of times to check on us to see how things were and if we needed anything else. I thought that was very nice of them .. hopefully it wasn't because we were one of the very few customers in the place at that time.

• Visited January 2013
Lee's Summit, Missouri
“Good food, horrible service”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Dropping in for a quick lunch seemed to be challenge to them. The restaurant wasn't enough half occupied, and yet, we waited nearly an hour for our food. Not only that, but I substituted my side to which they forgot, then I subsequently had to wait another 20 minutes--as I finished my burger--so they could cook my side.

It seemed to be a combination of a slow kitchen and an inattentive server. The food was good, but not good enough that I will be returning.

• Visited January 2013
Redmond, Washington, United States
“Best tacos!”
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

We went there to watch the Heisman awards so we had a little time to spend. We started with the crab spinach dip that was awesome. I had some beers and one mahi taco and one shrimp taco - they were the best seafood tacos I have ever had, even better than at my own restaurant. My boyfriend had one beef and one chorizo taco, which he said were also one of the best he's had.

The staff was great an very attentive.

Their bathrooms could definitely use some work and a lot of cleaning. One lady needed to change her baby and had no where to do it because there was no changing table and the counters were a little disgusting.

The layout and decor in the restaurant is very appealing. The restaurant opens to the street so there are few walls separating interior from exterior.

There are plenty of TV's to watch sports on. One thing that was strange was they had no beer on tap. The waitress stated she had just gotten back from a trip and she wasn't sure why but while she was gone all the beer taps were removed. Bad idea in our opinion.

I would go here again for sure, but I would hope that they made a few improvements.