“Love this place”

Atlantic Hotel & Spa
Ranked #17 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed March 31, 2010

This place is awesome!! Went to Lauderdale for the holidays. This is a very boutique feeling hotel on the main strip, much smaller than the other prestiege hotels on the strip. The room was huge with an amazing room. The kitchenette was first clas with nice countertops fully equipped with wine glasses, dishes, pots pans etc.. It was so nice to be able to stock up on wine liquor, snacks and breakfast food so you didn't have to go out for everything. The bathroom was just rediculous luxury. The pool was great and perfect temp, food service there was poor which is my only negative.

I am serious this place is hot, I will most likely spend the holidays here from now on

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank jwilliamsen1
fllconcierge, Guest Service Manager at Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2010

Dear jwilliamsen1,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your past stay with us. It is a pleasure to see you have such high accolades for our hotel, we are certainly glad to see that you enjoyed an exceptional experience at The Atlantic Hotel. When you are ready to return to Fort Lauderdale, please send me a message or email: pmcgannon@atlantichotelfl.com. Our entire team would be delighted to welcome you as our guest once again. Thank you for your business, and thank you for the wonderful compliments!

Reviewed March 30, 2010

I stayed at the Atlantic for my Honeymoon. As we arrived to the room there was no light in the bathroom-no problem! called reception they came up to fix it. We-called tried to use the coffee machine also not working-we called the reception we were told they would come and fix the next morning as it was 8.00pm at night and the maintenance had now gone home? We ordered room service which was good.We got up the next morning for breakfast and wanted to use iron, called reception again they came upstairs and fixed the plug for the coffee machine as this was hanging of the wall, but could not fix the other plug for the iron. It was our honeymoon and I was quite annoyed that we had to sort out propertry maintenance on a hotel that was supposed be 5*. The air con was on full blast called reception the maintenance man said they had a problem with it as there was not enough water in sytem and was stuck so could not turn of. We were there for five days before boarding a cruise and we had high expectations. My husband caught a cold as the room temprature was 70f and was cold. The staff are very friendly but not trained up to standard for such a small hotel. The food in the restuarant was good but they seemed to run out of butterscotch ice cream on a wednesday and with only two people in the restuarant and only a few desserts they just served without asking chocolate ice crean with the apple cheesecake absolutely disgusting considering your paying £300 for a meal dessert and a bottle of wine. The service was terrible. I have had better service in a greasy cafe in London. The maintenance was called three times over two days and reception but they justsaid that there was nothing wrong with the air con you could just not turn the bloody thing off? Would not stay there again we felt penned in and restuarant staff were also rude. the reception staff always smiling and polite when coming into hotel which was nice!! Everything in this place is expensive including parking beware...

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrsHolme-Glover
fllconcierge, Guest Service Manager at Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2010

Dear MrsHolme-Glover,

Thank you for taking the time to review your December stay at The Atlantic Hotel.

We are certainly proud of our beautiful hotel, and hold our entire operation to a very high standard. We are disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Your comments regarding property maintenance and restaurant service have been forwarded to hotel management for review. As an urban beach resort, we do keep our valet parking prices competitive with our neighbors, keeping our prices a bit lower than other hotels in the area.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced during your honeymoon. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please send me a private message via Trip Advisor.

Reviewed March 30, 2010

Our three night stay at the Atlantic Hotel last week were three nights too long. They "upgraded" us to a suite on check-in which turned out to be a partial ocean view that faced an empty and rusting hotel. Not what we had paid for which was on Ocean Front room. We weren't able to check into our room until 8:30 that night. Great way to start a trip. The next morning we were rudely awoken by the cleaning staff with their walkie talkies on, slamming doors and being extremely loud. This was at 7:00 in the morning. When I tried to contact the front desk the phone didn't work and instead kept connecting me to another guest room. Yes, the list goes on. The only positive thing I can say about our stay was the Chief Concierge Paul who was very courteous and upgraded us on our last night to an ocean front luxury suite. This room was nice and quiet. This is really a 3 star hotel, don't be fooled by the diamond ratings. We checked out after the 3rd night and went and checked into the Ritz Carlton a couple blocks down the road. It's a little more expensive but sooooo worth it. If you want a true 4 star hotel check in to a Westin or a Marriott hotel. If you want a 3 star hotel with some nice amenities then this is for you, just ask for a corner room away from the elevators and bring some ear plugs.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2tripsters

Dear 2tripsters,

Thank you for your recent stay with us, we certainly appreciate your business and your candid feedback regarding your stay.

We are sorry to see that your stay was not up to standard with the level of service we aim to provide as a AAA 4-diamond rated luxury boutique hotel. Our goal is to provide exceptional service to all of our guests as an independent hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconsistencies that compromised our standards during your stay. Please be assured that your comments have been shared with our managment and staff, and we have reinforced our radio policy as a result. I am glad to see, personally, that the short term resolution of moving to another room was of some help. We would love for you to be our guest again very soon, please contact our General Manager, or send me a message via TripAdvisor if you would like to further discuss your stay. Our entire team would be happy to welcome you back to show you a wonderful time.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, and thank you for your business.

Reviewed March 29, 2010

Having spent four days at the superb Anglers Resort in Miami & then seven on a wonderful Royal Caribbean cruise to Mexico our last 3 days in Florida at the Atlantic were something of an anti-climax. On arrival the impressive frontage belied the unfortunate experience that was to come. The foyer/reception with it’s dimmed lighting was gloomy and with the reception staff front lit by their computer screens it was rather reminiscent of a gothic horror film.
We had ticked the box requesting early check-in when booking but as we arrived at 10.00 we did not expect the room to be ready that early. However, we were told that it would take priority & they would call us on our mobile when it was ready. We had breakfast & sat around the pool until 1.00 p.m. at which time we decided to go for a walk but checked with reception that the room would not be imminently available & were told it was unlikely to be ready before 2.00. We returned around 1.50 & sat around in the foyer. At 2.30 my wife went to reception to check the situation & surprise, surprise the room was ready - so why had nobody called us? The gothic theme continued along the austere corridor to our room - no paintings or any décor on the walls & so cold it was like walking along the chiller aisle in a supermarket! The room itself, however, was large & comfortable except it suffered from severe “hotel hum”- the noise that seems unique to hotel rooms which, despite everything being switched off, must emanate from the heating, ventilation or some other in house system but that is impossible to pinpoint. That apart there were no complaints until half an hour or so later when all hell broke loose in the adjacent Sea Club Hotel a hangout for spring-breakers. The noise & shouting was unbearable (why hotels do not fit effective secondary glazing which would nullify much of the extraneous noise is a mystery). We asked Paul the Guest Service Manager to move us to a quieter room but were told that this was a one off as they were watching a basketball game & it was unlikely to recur. Wrong! The following two nights the rowdiness went on until the small hours. I never travel without ear plugs so it did not bother me but my wife finds them uncomfortable so she was kept awake. Several other people were also complaining at breakfast about the noise.
The first night we dined in the hotel’s Trina restaurant which we found overpriced & wanting. The BLT wedge arrived with LT but no B. I drew this to the waiter’s attention but no bacon was forthcoming. I was then told the duck that I had ordered was “off” so I ordered the fish (Bass I think) the same as my wife. This was just about warm enough to eat when it arrived at the table. We also had breakfast each morning in the same restaurant where the staff seemed to find it difficult to crack a smile & at times the service was slow & slipshod (a teaspoon at breakfast would have been useful).They still expected a tip however. On the last morning we ordered, as usual, English Breakfast Tea but were told they had run out. How does a hotel run out of tea, it is not perishable & there is a supermarket a couple of blocks away with shelves full of it - just send someone out to buy some.
The best thing about the Atlantic is the pool area, although the bar must be self service because all the time we were there no one came around to take drinks orders. And why hotels, not only the Atlantic, think we need music booming out when we’re relaxing by the pool is another mystery of the hospitality industry.
There is something not quite right about the Atlantic that needs to be addressed by senior management & certainly based on our experience I would not recommend it to anyone.Oh, and they charged me $2.50 for a freephone call when the most I've ever been charged elsewhere is $1.
On my return to the U.K. I received an e-mail from Preferred Hotels asking if I enjoyed my stay and inviting me to join their Guest Benefit programme. Given the forgoing you can imagine my reply! I have had no further response from them which says it all about this outfit - they just don’t care.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
fllconcierge, Guest Service Manager at Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2010

Dear MJB2354,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Atlantic Hotel.

It is disappointing to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us as our intention is to ensure all of our guests have an exceptional experience. Please accept my sincere apology regarding the noise from next door, we did not anticipate further issue at the time.

All of your comments have been shared with our management team and we are reviewing them to help us in continuing to improve our hotel and the level of service provided to our guests. We would like to welcome you back as our guest in the future, please contact our General Manager, or send me a message via trip advisor if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Thank you, again, for your business and for the feedback on your recent stay with us.

Reviewed March 19, 2010

I took my teenage daughter to The Atlantic Hotel for a relaxing spring break trip. It was perfect. Everyone on the staff was so accomodating that we felt pampered at every turn. We enjoyed facials and massages in the spa, which is not big but is serene. We found wonderful restaurants nearby. For shopping, the mall and Las Olas are a short cab ride away. The concierge was super helpful. We needed a couple things in the room (the carafe to the coffeepot went missing?) and they were delivered promptly. The weather was on the cool side (low 70's) so we stayed by the pool which was warmer than the beach. The beach is kind of steep for walking but you can walk or run on the large sidewalk next to the beach.
The Atlantic is on the same stretch as the Ritz, the Hilton, the Westin and the W. There was a CVS down the street where we bought food for breakfast. We made coffee in the room and ate on the oceanfront balcony overlooking the pool.
Our room was spacious and our bathroom was large with two sinks, a tub and a shower. Beds were comfy. We really enjoyed having a balcony and a fridge. The hotel was quiet even though we were across from the elevator.
Here are the only cons- and this is a stretch- if you keep your balcony door open, you can hear the traffic along with the ocean. The highway out front is busy. There was a bit of construction noise as they were working on an apartment on the 15th floor while we were there. Poolside food can be slow. The only employee who was not great worked at the pool bar. No cell service in the room, except on balcony.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
fllconcierge, Guest Service Manager at Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2010

Dear live4thebeach,

First and foremost, kudos for the fun screen name! We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay at The Atlantic Hotel on Fort Lauderdale Beach. Your comments are wonderful, and have been shared with our team. It is great to see that you took advantage of our Concierge Service as well, Sonny and I are happy to be of service. As with many hotels on Fort Lauderdale beach, due to the reinforced concrete and beachfront location, cell phone service is sometimes a problem that we do have solutions for (certain rooms receive stronger signals.) When you return to Fort Lauderdale, please send me a message or give us a call, we will be sure to assign you a room with clear cell phone reception. Your comments are extrememly important and we thank you for the great compliments!

Chef Concierge and Guest Service Messenger

Reviewed March 19, 2010

From the outside, I find that this hotel is by far the prettiest of all the hotels on the 'strip'. The inside is modern/transitional. Very clean. Well maintained. The rooms and bathroom/shower are large.
We had no problems with room service or housekeeping. Matter of fact, one day my husband left the 'privacy' sign up. When we returned around 7pm, I called and they came and replace our towels and did the 'turn down'.
The staff and concierge were very helpful and very informative. Breakfast was delicious. We did not eat dinner at Trina, but had drinks/appetizers during happy hour. Appetizers were expensive but very good and they give you a large portion.
For those who are really picky.. yes you might see some stains and 'wear and tear' if you are 'looking for it'. All hotels are going to be that way.
At this hotel (like most of the new ones on the strip) the pool is not on ground level (this one on 5th floor) and is a oversize lap pool. The beach is across the street.
Now for why I did not give this a 5 star:
1. The pool area is nice, but small and narrow. I do not recommend this
hotel for families with small children. There is no place to really move
around. The lounge area could of been larger if they didn't waste so
much space for tables that are used for eating. When I was there, I
saw one or two tables being used. Everyone was having their
meals/drinks served where their lounge chair was.
There is a bar area that you can also order food. I thought it was
ridiculous that you you cannot order any appetizers after 3:30. You had
to go to the main level to the Trina lounge.

Large beach towels are supplied.

2. I have read other reviews about this,last weekend at the pool area,
there was events going on to both days starting at 4pm. Therefore you
had to vacate the area.
3. Beach lounge chairs: The beaches are public, therefore you are renting
through the city not the hotel. You can charge the rentals through the
hotel. I know all the hotels are like this, but why must we be charge such
a large fee and it is only to 4:30pm? When there is an event at the pool
area, there is no place to go after 4:30pm except to the Trina lounge or
your hotel room...
Outside at the Trina lounge is narrow with only a few small tables.
4. There is a boutique store on the 5th floor located in the Spa. I did not
see one person go into the store to shop around. Alot of wasted space
being used for very expensive items. There are no toiletries items, advil
or magazines, etc that can be purchase at this hotel. These items along
with water (or other drinks), snacks, additional newspapers (like the NY
times) could be sold in all that wasted space that is being used for those
expensive items that probably sit there and collect dust.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family

Dear jacers1,

The Atlantic Hotel team thanks you for your recent stay, we are very happy to see that you enjoyed our service and facilities during your visit to Fort Lauderdale, your kind comments have been shared with our ambassadors.

Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback on what we can improve. We are glad you enjoyed the panoramic view and surrounding amenities on our Ocean Terrace, and will consider your comments to improve our guest experience. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the events held on Ocean Terrace during your stay. As March is peak wedding season, we have held a few events, but do try to keep the amenities on our 5th floor available for our guests as exclusively as we can. In the past year, we have been working with the beach concession to improve the experience for our guests, and we hope to continue to make the beach more enjoyable for guests of the hotel. Regarding our Spa Boutique, we are constantly making improvements to ensure the retail items are both accessible and useful for our guests. We do offer toiletries, newspapers (Sun-Sentinel, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today) to all registered guests free of charge. Advil, Tylenol, and other sundries are available for purchase at our Front Desk. Aside from the snacks and refreshments available for purchase in our guest rooms, we currently do not have a shop for snacks and soft drinks.

Your compliments and feedback allow us to continue our mission to provide an exceptional experience to all of our guests. Thank you for taking the time to review your recent hotel stay. Please send me a message if you have any further suggestions, or if you would like assistance in planning a return to The Atlantic Hotel.

With kind regards,

Chef Concierge and Guest Service Manager

Reviewed March 12, 2010

My husband and I have stayed in 5 start hotels.... some fancy resorts... and have even been to hawaii in some luxery places... but The Atlantic was the best yet. The beds are so comfortable, the staff was amazing, and the rooms were super clean.

The weather was cold for 5 out of the 6 days we were there but we always found something fun to do. The valets were super helpful with advice on what to do and directions. We will certainly be back one day!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank COAPHOTO

Dear COAPHOTO,

Thank you for the wonderful compliment regarding your recent stay with us. We are honored to be considered the best hotel you have stayed in! When you are ready to plan your return to The Atlantic Hotel, please send me a message or give us a call, our team will be happy to assist in planning another great stay with us. Thanks again for the exceptional feedback.

Warmest regards from Sunny Fort Lauderdale,