“didn't want to leave!”

Ranked #19 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
north carolina
“didn't want to leave!”
Reviewed July 31, 2008

the atlantic at fort lauderdale fl. waswonderful!
i celebrated my 60th birthday here. they made it extra special. they even sent a melt in your mouth choc. mousse cupcake
to my suite with a candle and happy b'day on it. that was a nice
finishing touch to my day. we were fortunate to be upgraded to a
beautiful suite.
THANKS CAT AND THE STAFF FOR MAKING MY DAY!
Victoria

• Liked — the bed and the view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
jejoly, Guest Service Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2008
Thank you for your kind comments! We are so happy that we were a part of making your birthday special. We hope you visit us again.

Regards,

Jessica Joly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed July 7, 2008

First, a little about me. I am a discerning traveler who typically stays at the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons when possible although Kimpton hotels and W hotels are also good standbys. That said, perhaps my penchant for fine hotels is what caused me to be disappointed by the Atlantic. I only stayed at the hotel for one night with my friend as we had been in Key West all week and wanted an easy drive to the airport.

The hotel staff seemed wonderful when booking and the concierge even called the next day to see if there was anything we needed before we arrived. We were assured that we would most likely be upgraded, given the 2 beds we requested and could check in early. We were not upgraded (which is fine), they didn't have the 2 beds and we weren't allowed to check in early. We were told that we could wait in the spa which we did (and the spa is quite nice) and we soaked in the hot tub while waiting for our room to be ready. Well, it turns out the hot tub was extremely overly chlorinated and it bleached and ruined by bathing suit. I immediately called to speak to a manager and finally someone from the spa called me back, told me that this can happen to certain suits (were they implying that my suit was cheap?) and that they would be happy to take 50% off a new suit in their store. What??? I'm supposed to pay them money for ruining my suit? They also said if I could provide a receipt they would reimburse me. Sorry but I typically don't carry around receipts while on vacation! I told them this was unacceptable and was bounced around from person to person with no resolve in sight. I finally was able to talk to a manager, complained about how I was being treated and they told me to stop by the front desk on my way to dinner where they gave me a $50 certificate. What I found ridiculous was that they wanted me to buy something after ruining my suit.

The room itself was fine, if not somewhat small, but I have to say what I found most disappointing was the size of the pool (don't be fooled, it's much smaller than it looks in photos), the inattentive staff at the pool (we had to order our own drinks at the bar b/c our server never came over), and the clientèle in general was not the crowd you would get at a nicer (e.g., Ritz level) resort. There was lots of smoking at the bar and pool, lots of people hanging around drinking beer in the pool and, not to be rude, pretty much just trashy people. There is also NOTHING around the hotel in terms of restaurants or stores. Pretty much everything on the strip is under construction or abandoned in that area and I found it to be quite depressing.

I'm not sure if Fort Lauderdale is just simply a spring break town these days but I was disappointed with my stay for these reasons. Depending on your level of travel and where you are used to staying, you might be disappointed with the Atlantic. Don't get me wrong, it's not a Best Western but the pictures make it look much nicer than it really is in person. Trina, the hotel restaurant, was actually quite wonderful and I would highly recommend it. Perhaps they hotel was overwhelmed by the holiday crowd but I certainly would never return.

• Liked — Comfy bed, great shower head, good restaurant
  • Disliked — Crowded, inexperienced customer service, tacky pool crowd
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
6 Thank DC/VATravelGirl
jejoly, Guest Services Manager at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 3, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered regarding your bathing suit. Your experience is certainly not the kind of service we strive to give out guests. Please contact me directly at the hotel and I will ensure that you are compensated the amount of your suit.
We always welcome constructive criticism, as it presents us with opportunities to improve our guest’s experience. Thank you for also including the positive attributes of your stay.

Guest Services
Massachusetts
Reviewed June 27, 2008

My husband and I were married at The Atlantic hotel earlier this June. I cannot speak enough about the amazing service from everyone at the hotel. Jami, the wedding coordinator was absolutely fantastic and helped us pull everything together - in short notice. The room was spectacular and the balconies and views were really incredible. Both my husband and I have stayed at resorts all over the world, and this was one of the nicest placest we have ever stayed at. We recommend it highly.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — prices for lunch menu
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for the kind comments regarding your recent stay. We are pleased to have been a part of your special day. We hope to see you again for years to come.

Regards,

Guest Services
atlanta
Reviewed June 11, 2008

i've stayed at many 4 and 5-star resorts, and the Atlantic ranks among the best! my only complaint is that my friend left her car for 6 hours (10pm-4am) and still had to pay the $28 per day valet fee. i think there should be half-day rates for situations such as this one.
besides that, my stay at the Atlantic was absolutely wonderful. the service from the staff i encountered deserves great praise! Lacell at bellhop, Rosmarie at front desk, Amy from the pool cafe, and David from the spa made my stay that much more enjoyable. i'm still talking about my massage...what a perfect was to de-stress, and i couldn't have asked for a better masseuse. i definitely recommend staying at the Atlantic! it's a beautiful hotel in a great location. my friend drove my around, so i'm not sure what's within walking distance, but everything is a taxi ride away.
stay at the Atlantic if you want a guaranteed great stay in fort lauderdale!

• Liked — great service
  • Disliked — valet charge alittle steep
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank amag1975
Burlington Ontario
Reviewed May 30, 2008

I stayed for one night while in Fort Lauderdale on business.
I was upgraded upon arrival and provided complimentary breakfeast.

I found both the property and location to be very good.
What really stood out for me was the service provided by all staff at the hotel.
Everyone from the valet, conceirge to reception were very welcoming and eager to be of assistance.

I would highly recommend this property based on location, ammenities and service.

Well done!!

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank Lindsay W
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed May 13, 2008

We stayed here at this lovely beachfront hotel in February. We are Starwood Preffered Gold members and we were upgraded to a huge suite with 2 baths, kitchen, huge ocean view balcony and amazingly large bathroom. We loved it and look forward to coming back soon. The staff were professional and helpful. We stayed here for 4 nights and had our 4 year old with us -he loved it. The room service was good, and the pool was very nice. Our room was located on the south side of the building and they are doing construction right next door-we did not hear a thing. This is a wonderful Starwood Property.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Freddy4
Chicago
Reviewed May 12, 2008

From the moment our Taxi pulled into the Atlantic, we could tell this was going to be a trip to remember. This was our first trip to Fort Lauderdale and we feel there was no better choice than the Atlantic. Several great reviews from Tripadvisor steered us in the direction. The price was steep in comparison to other hotels along the A1A but once you see them all in person, you will realize the added price is well worth it.

Often times I find people complaining about poor customer service in their reviews on this website and thusly, was expecting the worst. The courteous and friendly (sometimes eerily friendly) staff was willing to help with any need that you may have. The concierge set up dinner reservations, advised on the best spots for us to visit, called a taxi when we needed it, etc, etc, etc. The room was much larger than expected consisting of a living room area, kitchen (with stocked minibar, tea kettle, coffee maker, toaster, pots, pans, dishes, silverware, starbucks coffee and tea), balcony with partial ocean view, bedroom with king bed, bathroom with both bathtub and shower, and a separate room with the toilet (AND A PHONE...LIVING IN THE LAP OF LUXURY!).

Location was very nice as well. A short walk south and you'll find some nice places for dining/cocktails as well as a little bit of shopping. One of the evenings we took a cab ride downtown (about a $21 fare) and lived some of the nightlife there. There seemed to be a watering hole for whatever style you were after.

Lastly, the beach was fantastic. I am not a frequent beach bum, but the several mile long stretch of beach would suit any professional. The first couple days were very windy and the surf was choppy. The waves were large which proved to make for an entertaining swim. By the 3rd day, the surf calmed and you could really see how clear the water was. Our aquatic wildlife experience was limited to thousands of minnows and a 2 ft wide stingray but that was enough for us.

All in all, the stay was pricey, but in this case you definitely get what you pay for. No regrets.

• Liked — The whole experience
  • Disliked — Didn't seem to last long enough
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple