“Continues to Be the Best”

Atlantic Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We just returned from a 2 night sojourn at The Atlantic. We really hoped we would not be disappointed, after we had such a wonderful experience here last June...but, once again, we were absolutely delighted with our stay!
Prior to our arrival, I spoke with Sheryl at the concierge desk to ask her to arrange to have rental bikes available for our use during our stay. Sheryl had our bikes (plus helmuts & bike lock) delivered to the hotel so they were there for our arrival, but also arranged to have our preferred "Townie" brand (the kind we are used to riding at home), AND (at my last-minute request) she even arranged for us to borrow a nifty bike carry-pack. The rentals were simply added to our room charge, saving us valuable vacation time, not having to contact the rental company ourselves. Now, I know concierge services are often used for high-roller events...but I appreciate how Sheryl really listened well to my requests, and came through as though our bike rental was just as important as any big-ticket event!
As our experience in June, we found the valets courteous, check-in friendly and efficient, and the room SPOTLESS! And talk about housekeeping efficiency...in the morning, we left early for a brisk walk and coffee, and during that time housekeeping worked their magic on our room so that when we returned an hour later, it was as fresh-smelling and spotless as when we checked in. Mia even stopped by later, to make sure everything was as we liked it.
Oh, and one more thing...a special award should go to whoever picked out the showerheads used at The Atlantic. Amazing spray and intense water pressure! The shower was so enjoyable that I emailed the concierge to ask them the manufacturers name and model number. Concierge Lilly replied to my query within the hour, with not just an answer, but a link to the showerhead manufacturer's website.
We were glad to learn the exemplary experience we had when first staying at The Atlantic is, indeed, their standard of care. We wholeheartedly recommend this hotel as, in our opinion, they continue to be the best in Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Christopher G, General Manager at Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Dear 2Tobene,
We are honored that you think we are the best! I am hapy to hear how you enjoyed bicycling with the arrangements made by our Concierge service. I am also so pleased to hear how Sheryl and Lily made a positive impact on your stay -- I know that they care a great deal.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,055)

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed at The Atlantic from Dec 26-Jan 3. We had a room facing the ocean, and the view was amazing. The room was very clean, the bed was incredibly comfortable, and the kitchenette was well-stocked. Wifi was free, and this is one reason we chose the hotel. I hate having to pay for Wifi! Please do not change this policy!

The pool area could be a little cleaner (the little tables next to the lounge chairs were a little sticky), but the service was great. The food offered at the pool restaurant was also reasonably priced.

I went to the Spa for a pedicure, and it was not great. The person doing the pedicure arrived late, seemed to not know where the equipment she needed was, and was not very friendly. It was very disappointing.

Overall, I definitely encouraged people to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear couvertanjou,
Thank you for your kind words and helpful suggestions. We appreciate your business and hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Beautiful hotel for the most part very nice and helpful staff. Terrible concierge! If at all possible try to avoid Cheryl the concierge. She managed to ruin our 10000 dollar bcs game trip. Otherwise the hotel was great.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Christopher G, General Manager at Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Dear Patrick,
I am terribly sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with a service booked by our Concierge team. We actively seek input on every service that we arrange with outside vendors. Please contact me at the hotel so that I can understand what happened and respond appropriately.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

A truly beautiful hotel in a lovely area with really lovely staff who couldn't be more helpful! We stayed in a room overlooking the pool which was gorgeous. The only let down was the breakfast which was pretty poor and not worth the money as there are plenty of other cafes and restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the pool and sea
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Roisin,
I am very pleased to hear how you enjoyed the hotel and staff. Our sea view rooms are so close to the water! I'm sorry you were not impressed with breakfast, please let me know if you have any further comments. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hotel is beautiful in lobby area and then once you get to your floor, very disappointing. Here for a birthday celebration weekend and asked for a special room upon check-in and I agreed to upgrade for $60 additional per night. Getting off the elevator on the 10th floor, a musty smell hits your nose, looks rundown with wallpaper scuffed up VERY noticeably in numerous places and the dark doors to all the rooms look all beat up and are very much in need of renovation. NO LUXURY APPEARANCE WHATSOEVER....Once we got to room # 1004, it STILL smelled musty and old, the a/c was on at 66 and felt like it wasn't working at all, and the room was completely setback from the rest of the hotel so the only "ocean view" was from the balcony with the hotel building blocking the complete left and right side. I immediately called downstairs and requested an TRUE oceanfront "not tunnel vision oceanfront". Jackie was kind enough to change us to room # 708, beautiful view and a/c working!
I don't feel like the hotel pays attention to small details (which I do especially when paying over $300 a night- not sure exactly the amount since I booked this on Travelocity primarily for flight purposes) a light bulb in the kitchen area was out, no hangers at all in three small closets by the door (very odd indeed), a safe in the main closet by the beds which one has to stand in the closet itself, push your clothes out of the way to use the safe since it is on a shelf with the door opening in an awkward way and like I had mentioned, the hallways and the doors looking really beat up.
Lastly, they made a mistake with the bill and charged us $120 PER night for the upgrade (by mistake) but it was taken care of once I went down to the front desk. While waiting for the correction, I walked over to the free coffee in the lobby at 9:30 am and to my disappointment, it was empty! Hotel looked like a ghost town, not many guests at all and no coffee at 9:30 am?????? How does that happen?? This doesn't happen at the Marriott.......I will not be returning!

4  Thank Vanessa C
Christopher G, General Manager at Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear VLC,
I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. We take our guest's satisfaction very seriously. Please reach out to me at the hotel as I would like to personally address the issues you encountered. Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your comments.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We just returned from our three night stay in the Atlantic Resort & Spa as part of a BCS championship game package. Among the available hotels (a limited number due to the game, etc.) we chose the Atlantic based on TripAdvisor reviews and we weren't disappointed. The hotel is situated directly along the ocean with many of the rooms being ocean front or ocean view.

Check in was simple, as we arrived late in the evening. Although the package included an ocean view room we asked for an upgrade to ocean front. The front desk attendant indicated that the hotel was completely sold out, but that they had one ocean front handicapped room available. We decided to book this upgrade (at no extra cost) and were very satisfied with the room. The only downside was the lack of a bathtub as the room had only a walk-in shower for obvious reasons.

We found the staff to be extremely friendly and very helpful. We were shown to our room and had all of the facilities fully explained including the kitchenette in the unit. We had a small but adequate balcony overlooking the beach. Because of the shape and design of the hotel our view included only the beach and ocean and the roadway along the beach side of the building was completely blocked.

The room was larger than we expected and included a king size bed, a large writing desk with an office chair, two sitting chairs with a small round table, a large dresser with four very large drawers, two closets, the above-noted kitchenette with a small fridge, a two-burner built-in cook top, and a complete set of glasses and dishes, etc. A typical coffee maker was situated atop the kitchen cabinets with an adequate supply of coffee. One of the closets included a small hotel size ironing board and an iron, two bathrobes and slippers, and two folding suitcase stands.

The large bathroom included a double vanity and the very large walk-in (roll-in) shower as well as a typical WC which was somewhat higher than ordinary because of handicap accessibility.

The balcony includes two chairs and a small table, all of which was perfect for breakfasts overlooking the rising sun.

The room and all of the building appeared to be in very good repair, with no noted deficiencies or items in need of repair. We didn't spend any time at the pool so I can't comment on the quality or condition of the pool furniture.

We didn't eat in the main dining room but had some bar food one afternoon in the small indoor and outdoor cafe on the ground floor. Food and libations were very good.

We ordered room service for breakfast each day, and the food was good and delivery very timely.

In all the positives about this property start with the helpful staff and include the quality and condition of the furnishings.

The only negatives, and these are very minor, are that the bath towels the first day were more than adequate to wrap around my somewhat rotund middle, but the towels the other days were smaller and not quite up to the challenge. Also, on one day we got no face towels but four wash clothes instead. The beds are double sheeted (which I like) with a somewhat heavy comforter between. It seemed to us that this comforter was much too heavy for the weather in Miami. None of these negatives was considered worth commenting to the staff about.

Finally, as an example of the quality of the valet staff, we had prepaid transportation from the hotel to the stadium the night of the game. We were to have been picked up between 5:30 and 6:00 PM at the hotel and returned to the hotel after the game. When the car did not arrive by 6:00 PM the valet tried to call the company but the company's office closed at 5 PM.
Shortly thereafter we received a call that the driver of our car had been in an accident on his way to pick us up, and that because of the very heavy demand for transfers to the stadium for the BCS game they had no other vehicles available.

The valet staff went into motion and arranged for alternate transportation for us at the last minute, so we made it to the game (and some of the pre-game festivities) in time.

The only downside of the entire stay was the result of the game, Alabama 42 - Notre Dame 14.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are worth whatever the additional cost, the higher up the better.
2  Thank Michael C
Christopher G, General Manager at Atlantic Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear Realapprsr,
Please let me express my gratitude for this wonderful review. We approach our service with an eye for detail and your detailed comments are a great help to us. I am especially thankful for your story of how our team on the front drive went into action to be sure you got to the game on time. I will be sure to recognize them for making a difference to you. I'm sorry the Irish lost the game though. I hope that we'll continue to be your choice in South Florida.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and I spent one night at the Atlantic hotel, Fort Laudadale, before we left for a cruise the following day.
We were really looking forward to our stay at the Atlantic hotel, judging from the information in their e brochure.
I'm sorry to say that I was disappointed with the hotel, I thought it was dated and scruffy around the edges. Fittings were old fashioned and the carpet in my room was frayed where it met the tiles. I don't think the room was worth the money we paid, everything seemed to be so expensive. We used two small bottles of water from the mini bar, and was charged 12 dollars.
My wife and I had dinner in the hotel restaurant that evening which was disappointing, it was not well appointed and the food was very ordinary, and expensive!
Yes the beach looked fine, but the shops were too far away to walk. The hotel does not live up to its own brochure description.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dick096

Dear Dick,
Thank you staying with us. I am sorry that you detected some issues during your stay. Rest assured that we, with the support of new owners are making the appropriate investment to deal with those issues. I hope you can return.