“Customer Service Excellence”

Atlantic Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed November 15, 2012

You will almost never encounter customer service anywhere else like you will at The Atlantic Resort & Spa. The valets and front desk staff will greet you warmly each and every time you arrive and wish you well on your way each time you depart. The staff at this hotel have they type of customer service quality that resounds with a work ethic like they really enjoy serving people -- they each seem like they were born for customer service work. The lobby smells like heaven -- a light scent that makes you wish you were walking through a grove of fresh citrus trees mixed with the lightest scent of flowers. The room was beautiful, and we could have held court in our bathroom it was so large, lovely and full of beautiful tile. The front desk even brought us up pizza menus one evening after a long day with our children and we just wanted to eat in our room -- and they seemed delighted to help us with a good pizza shop selection. We are so happy we stayed here. I only wish it had been longer.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with a room at this hotel. I think each of them have a view of that beautifu...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank x-raynancy

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Quiet, clean room. Nice shower (it takes a while to heat up though). Comfortable beds. Great pool area. Pool bar serves an excellent lunch and the Hurricanes are recommended. WiFi connection and cell reception are sketchy (but it helped me disconnect). Short walk to night life, but far enough removed from revealers. Gorgeous beach. Stroll down to Casablanca Cafe restaurant and try their scallops (awesome). Sit on the balcony and watch the sunset with a bottle of wine. Perfect long-weekend getaway with my wife.

Room Tip: Higher up is better. We were on the 11th floor (2nd time) and 14th floor (first time) and both were...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We came to Fort Lauderdale to pick up our cruise ship to the caribbean and wanted to have extra days to explore the area upon our return. We stayed here one night before our cruise and then the four nights following.

I initially searched for a beach front hotel not too far from the airport and nearby to Las Olas Avenue, the famous street for shopping and restaurants. This hotel had great reviews so we decided to give it a try.

The hotel rooms are spacious and very upscale, with crown moulding, comfy sheets, down pillows, comfortable beds (as good as the so called "heavenly bed" by Westin), first class 42 inch flat screen tv and all HD channels, balcony with sliding door, The bathroom is extra large and first rate with separate tub and shower, two sinks, and the tub is large enough for a deep bath, kitchen features including stove, microwave, sink, refrigerator, and drawers with cooking utensils, silverware, pots and pans and plates and bowls. You could live comfortably in your room if you did not want to eat out all the time. There is also room service, quiet A/C, friendly and professional staff, a concierge who really helped us plan some excursions (the everglades tour with "Everglades Holiday Park" is by far the best of the best--see my comments at the end of this review) and most important to us, an amazing ocean front view of the atlantic ocean and beach of Ft Lauderdale. The first night before our cruise, we had a King standard room on the 12th floor facing south, which had a really nice view looking down the coast and beach. As I will mention below, the higher is better for views.

For our four nights after the cruise, our particular room was the ocean front 2 queen bed suite. Normally we would want a King, but for ocean front, this was the only room they had available, as we booked at the last minute. If you choose one of these rooms, for the best view, be sure to ask for a high floor, 11th floor or above. The view is amazing. The reason you want an upper floor room is that on the ocean side the hotel has two arms on either side, which are wider at the bottom and taper to the top. If you are on a lower floor, you have a slight "blinders" effect when looking up or down the beach. Of course, to counter this, simply take the ocean front King suite, which is at the front of these "arms" and has unobstructed views up and down the coast. Another benefit is being able to listen to the ocean at night without street noise.

The staff was friendly, from the bellman to the front desk to the restaurant on site. By the way, we ate at the restaurant and the food was great. It's just a few steps across the A1A to the beach, and about 2.5 miles to the Las Olas Street shopping and dining area. About 1/2 mile south, there is a CVS store where you can get food for your room, but we did not locate any nearby dedicated grocery store. My wife is pretty particular about hotel rooms and she said she could stay in the room all day.

The hotel also has a spa and pool, with the pool being on the 5th floor so it has a great view of the coast and beach. The spa is first rate, as good as any you might find in a high end hotel. The jacuzzi is inside, and one for each of the men and women's side, so you cant jacuzzi together. But there is plenty of room on the pool deck and lots of chairs and umbrellas. The lobby area has coffee for guests, a nice sitting area, and a clothing shop.

Some have commented on the overnight parking fee of $28 and that you have to valet. This is not uncommon for beach front hotels where parking is at a premium. There is metered street parking nearby, but it wont work for overnight as the meters give a few hours max, and are 24 hours, 7 days. Just figure on this daily parking fee if you have a car. The valet service was fast. I never waited more than a few minutes for my car and if I called down 10 min beforehand, the car was always there. You have full in and out privileges for that fee. However, if you dont have a car, you can easily cab to most things around the area, and there is a trolley type service that operates from the area to Las Olas and up and down the beach, as well as a service that operates golf cart type vehicles and is only 3 dollars per person. I did not use this, so ask the concierge about it.

If you want to be on the beach at Fort Lauderdale, you will enjoy this location. The Las Olas Riverfront area has a great inland waterway tour so you can see the homes of the rich and famous, including Robert DeNiro's home and the 200 million dollar yacht owned by Steven Spielberg. The best cruise is run by Riverfront Cruises and they dock at Riverfront at the west end of Las Olas. The hotel concierge can give you a discount coupon and you get 2 free drinks on the boat. Before or after your cruise, try Briny's right next to the dock for a great meal. If you want to see a movie, avoid the 12 Plex theater at Riverfront. That has seen better days and I think they have stopped caring how it looks. Creepy is the word that comes to mind.

The Everglades Holiday Park air boat ride is the best, with a full hour on the air boat. It's also not far from Ft Lauderdale. Some tours involve over 90 minutes drive each way and the air boat ride can be as short as 30 minutes. This location is only about 35 min away from the hotel. If you have a car, just get directions and drive to it because the boat ride is only 23 dollars per person at the park, but if you take the excursion where they pick you up at the hotel in a van, it costs 55 dollars per person. There is a alligator show after the ride which is very interesting and for $5 you can hold a gator for pictures (it's a little one....)

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor available and ocean front is amazing
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank travelNReviewer
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights pre-cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. With such a large choice of hotels it was difficult to decide where to stay but we are very glad we chose this one.

All the staff were very nice from the bellhop, doorman and front reception. We booked an ocean-front studio and were very impressed with the size and the amenities. We had a huge marble bathroom with large soaker tub, separate shower, separate toilet stall, double sinks, granite counters, lots of big fluffy towels. Nice bathrobes and slippers are in the room. Huge closets and a galley-style kitchenette, fully equipped, was really nice to have although we really didn't use it.

The bed was so comfortable, high quality linens, nice pillows, a large screen TV. There was also a lovely balcony overlooking the pool area and directly ocean-front. It was great to make ourselves coffee in the morning and sit out looking at the ocean. Heavenly. We spent part of the day sitting by the pool which overlooks the ocean and ordered lunch to have pool-side.

We ate in the restaurant downstairs for breakfast and dinner both days. You can eat indoors or out on the ocean-front terrace. Food was very good. In fact, when we returned from our cruise and stayed at the B Ocean (see my review) we walked here to have breakfast one morning. We were sorry we had not booked here for our post-cruise.

One thing I would mention is that the concierge ordered us a car to take us to the cruiseport and it was $48.00 including tip. Just take a cab, it will be under $20.00, probably about $15.00. That was a bit of a rip but it was the only negative note of our stay.

We are very glad that we discovered this hotel and if we're ever in FL again we would stay here.

Room Tip: We thought the ocean-front studio king was really great.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Have stayed at the Atlantic many times over the last several years. Have noticed both the service and amenities go downhill. Lights not working, ac on th fritz, very little hot water. In my most recent stay, they did not honor the room I booked because they must have over sold. When I asked for the room I had booked, the front desk attendant told me that if I did not book directly through the hotel's website, they would not honor my request. I told them that I've been coming here for years and this is not a good way to treat guests...she shrugged her shoulders and told me she could not help. I was finally able to speak to the front desk manager, not the hotel manager because they were busy. She told me that I would need to produce a document showing the room type I had booked or they could not honor. I called my travel agent, had them email my confirm, showed that to the manager and was finally given the room I had originally booked. Overall not a great experience and combined with the other issues in the room, very disappointing. Will not be coming back given so many other options in FLL!

The Atlantic is a relatively nice hotel, but given all the options available, I'll stay elsewhere going forward!

Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Neil C
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

A really nice hotel, with great views of the ocean and big, comfortable rooms. the pool is nice but small, as is the complimentary spa. The idea of a mini kitchen in your room sounds good, but the fridge was quite noisy, as was the sound of a neighbours water running. The hotel is close to the beach, but the beach is next to a very busy road, so a chilled out day isn't an option anyway. The biggest letdown is that the hotel is quite a walk from the tourist areas and the public transport isn't great out of season. The restraunt at the hotel is very nice, but don't expect much change from $60 a head. Be warned about the parking as well - at $28 a night, you can easily rack up a pretty big bill at this place, and it ain't cheap to start with!
Overall, a nice hotel but overpriced by at least 25%

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank CSB1975
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed in this hotel 2 years ago and were blown away by the whole experience. We have just spent 3 nights there ( admittedly while Tropical Storm Sandy was passing by). In my opinion, the hotel is like the curate's egg - good in parts. We thought that the staff were as good as before - welcoming and really helpful, In particular we found the concierge excellent and the front desk went the extra mile when we asked for a footstool in the room ( although it needed cleaning when it arrived.).
The hotel, however, is beginning to look tired. There were marks on the carpets, scuffs on the walls, the furniture in the rooms was stained and getting threadbare and the 'luxury hotel feeling' has gone! Time for a bit of refurbishment! The dark marble in the lobby and poor lighting in the corridors do not help.
Would we stay there again??? - not sure. Ft Lauderdale has a choice of really good beachfront hotels - maybe its tiem to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Deluxe studio was smaller than expected
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business