“Hidden Gem!”
Review of Tranquilo

Tranquilo
Ranked #52 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I were in Ft. Lauderdale for a friend's 40th birthday celebration this past weekend. My husband's birthday was in a week and we wanted to spend some time together just the two of us. My research online took me to Tranquilo and it looked great on Tripadvisor. I booked it and when we arrived we were met by Amanda at the door to the office. She was very friendly while making sure we had all the information we needed, She offered us a choice of two rooms based on our input. You can tell upon arrival that the property had been recently renovated. There are 2 beautiful pools with ample seating serving the 2 buildings that make up the property. Each building has two floors. We chose the top floor and were given a corner unit, the deluxe king studio.

As we walked in we were dazzled by the brightness of the room and the simple clean lines of the furnishings. The walls and furnishings are white except for a few accents. We loved the terrazzo floors! It felt as if we were the first ones to stay in the room, it was so clean and everything was new. There were 2 flat screen TVs, one in the living room area and one in front of the king size bed. The kitchenette had a small fridge/freezer, a 2 burner stovetop built into the cabinetry, microwave and sink, along with ample cupboard space. All kitchenware was provided. If you have ever been to IKEA you will recognize their stamp on the decor.

The beach is 2 short blocks away. We had dinner at Seasons 52 in the Galleria Mall which was a 5 minute drive away. There are numerous places to eat, drink and be merry along the beachfront.

Back inside our little hideaway we spent a relaxing evening and felt very safe. WiFi was sporadic so in the end we abandoned trying to get online. Things were very quiet. We even hung out outside our room for a while looking at the stars and just enjoying the Florida warmth. We both wish we could have stayed there a whole week as it really was what I had hoped for when I booked. It exceeded my expectations and we have already told our friends about it. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
NorthBeachVillage, Owner at Tranquilo, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Sharon C,
Happy late birthday to your husband! Why don't you let us help you plan his next birthday? We can accommodate large parties or help with a romantic weekend for two. We can even do the catering! That way you never have to leave! Thanks again, see you soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Just a block from the beach in Fort Lauderdale I found a most exquisite hotel. Completely remodeled with an Art Deco feel this place is great! The rooms are spacious and comfortable. And they are also exceptionally clean. Something I look for in the many hotels I stay in. Amanda, who was the girl who helped me out, was absolutely wonderful. She was friendly, overly helpful, and very accommodating to all of my needs. She really made me feel like I was home. Great personality, awfully cute and she does a great, great job! I really loved my stay here and will definitely come back!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Tdenkin
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I am from upstate NY and had to stay in Fort Lauderdale for one evening last week and ended up spending an amazing night at the Tranquilo. This is definitely not your typical chain hotel. From my initial greeting until check-out, it was fabulous. The pictures do no justice. The outside was clean and very serene. As soon as my sister and I opened the door to the room, we were in complete awe- we felt like movie stars. The room is NYC meets Miami. Sleek, classy, and 'Tranquilo'. I really cannot say enough about our stay. When we checked out, we were lucky enough to meet the owner who was extremely kind and hospitable. Last but not least, you are in a very short walking distance to the beach, shops, and restaurants. I will be coming back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SarahAudi
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I put "Hotel" in quotations marks because The Ocean Gate hotel runs more like a Extended Stay Room. (It is also the partner hotel to "Tranquilo" across the road, which is where you check in and out of)
The hotel does NOT offer breakfast or any kind of meals, it solely provides the room and daily room service. There is a pool, but the location of the pool was quite poorly planned, as it is at the center of the hotel. So that as soon as anyone walks out of their room they are looking out onto the pool. You can visit the sister hotel across the street an use their pool, which is in a more secluded location (better but not optimal as it's right by the road).

The service was excellent, Amanda checked me in and was very friendly and informative.
And the both the check in and check out process was done extremely quickly.

The room we stayed in was very well put together. We had 2 beds, a tv (with limited channels), a kitchen with a good amount of silverware, pots and pans, closet, and elegant bathroom. The beds were low and extremely comfortable, with white sheets and firm pillows.

The hotel is a five minute walk away from Fort Lauderdale Beach and you are within walking distance to many different restaurants.

The parking is limited when the hotel is full, but you are able to park across the street at their sister hotel, though while we were there that space was also limited.

If you're looking for a hotel full amenities, then the Ocean Gate is NOT for you. But we were looking for a hotel with a beautiful room (with kitchen), and that would be in nice area and in walking distance to different activities, if that is also what you are looking for then The Ocean Gate is the RIGHT hotel for you.

Room Tip: I'd choose a room on the second floor. The first floor rooms open up directly to the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David A
NorthBeachVillage, Owner at Tranquilo, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

David A,
Thanks for your review. North Beach Village Resort is able to offer guests the perfect hotel for their particular needs, and we are always implementing new items. We hope that we can offer continental breakfast in the near future. In the meantime, we do offer breakfast at a few of our nearby hotels, Royal Palms & Robindale. We are very happy to arrange for take out orders or even delivery. It's guest feedback like yours that helps us to improve. We appreciate your input and hope that you can visit us again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The staff greeted us with fresh brewed tea and frozen grapes. We were showed to our room which was contemporary decorated all white and spotless. Loved the staff, hotel and ambiance. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Ansh0612
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Went to Ft Lauderdale for a wedding and just needed a place to stay. It wasn’t a vacation or anything so I looked around for a "normal" hotel. I stumbled across Tranquilo while on this site and saw all the great reviews so I decided to book.
At first it seemed like an over glamorized “Motel” rather than a real Hotel so I came with zero expectation..I just wanted a bed to crash on. But from the moment I arrived I VERY pleasantly surprised. First of all the staff is awesome. Super friendly yet professional and they take the time to really make you feel welcomed. As I walked to my room I noticed the walk ways were spotless, the grass was healthy and green and the pools were pristine….all indicative of a well maintained facility.
Then we have the rooms….wow. They are huge (I got a deluxe studio) the décor is very modern and trendy yet warm and inviting. I was really impressed with everything so now I WANTED to find something wrong! Just to prove to myself that there is no such thing as too good to be true. I figured I’d find peeling wall paper, a dirty bathroom, malfunctioning AC…something! But nope, everything was on point.
One evening I needed an iron so I asked front desk for one. I was told they would get one “right away”. I figured this is when they would drop the ball. They would probably take forever or forget all together so I was sure I would have to make a second call. But 2 min later I get a knock on the door and there is a staff member with a wide smile and my iron. Best part is 5 min after that I get another knock and yet another staff member with another iron!
So yea, my stay was awesome. Not a single complaint. I recommend this Hotel to anyone looking for a great little spot in Ft Lauderdale….you won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank SOBe123_13
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Just can't believe some of the rave reviews this place gets, did we stop at the same place !
It would appear that this so called "Hotel" (more like serviced rooms) which when we stayed had no facilities for food not even breakfast, is part of a group of properties run by the same management in this area and has no independent reception, this is located at another hotel and no contact at all with management other than by telephone after 8pm.
It is clean (white - everything painted white!), small, modern (Ikea type furniture), in a very quiet area ten minutes walk to the beach and fifteen to some ok eateries.
Just about ok for our needs as we arrived late in the day and left crack of dawn two days later and where not in the room other than to sleep.
At $132 per night very expensive for what it is.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank un0me

un0me,
Thanks for your feedback. You are correct, our village runs as one resort so some of our hotels do not have a reception desk. By doing this, we're able to provide some of the most competitive rates in the area. However, we do understand that this isn't for everyone so we do offer hotels with reception desks. Next time you visit, please let us help you find your perfect hotel. We know we can help and would love to have you return!