“Nice, clean and quiet”
Review of Tranquilo

Tranquilo
Ranked #52 of 132 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in February 2012 and we were very satisfied. We had 1 spacious bedroom and 1 nice living room, and a kitchen with everything you need. Everything is light and bright and very cosy.The furniture are white and quite modern. We didn't make use of the pool as the weather was too cold. The beach is in walking distance from the hotel.
Only thing we missed was the possibility to buy some water or a beer at the hotel.
Would absolutely like to come back.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank dragoer

dragoer,
Thanks so much for your review. We strive to accommodate our guests in every way possible, and we are always happy to hear that we are doing a good job. We are currently adding areas where guests can enjoy good food and drinks. In fact, the Plaza Bistro, an outdoor cafe with great food, beer and wine, just opened just a couple of blocks from The Ocean Gate. You'll be able to get that nice cold beer the next time you visit!

Reviewed March 8, 2012

My wife and I returned from a cruise and wanted a quiet place to wind down on the beach before returning home. The Ocean Gate was perfect. We found it to be a small boutique style hotel... more like a guest house than hotel. Very clean, nice people, close to A1A and the beach. The trolley takes you to the main areas of town for 50 cents a trip or $2 for a day pass.
We stayed two nights and returned home relaxed not stressed.

Room Tip: The property is two floors and has no lift so if you have a lot of luggage ask for a first floor uni...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Capn_C

Capn_C,
We hope that The Ocean Gate will be your hotel of choice whenever you are in Ft. Lauderdale. You're right, it's a nice quiet place and yet it's conveniently located. We're so pleased we could help relieve the stress, come back whenever you need to relax!

Reviewed March 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ocean Gate Hotel for 4 nights. Overall we were pleased with our stay. The hotel is located in a quiet area and is just a 5 minute walk to the beach. We felt safe walking around at night, but I could see a solo traveler being a bit uncomfortable as the 2 blocks to A1A is dark and there are a couple of vacant lots/properties on the way.

Our room was clean, modern and big enough for both of us. There was a nice kitchenette with a little table and 4 chairs. It was equipped with a toaster, microwave, fridge, electric oven, pots and pans, dishes, coffee maker and cutlery. The only thing is didn't have was a kettle for making tea, but we remedied that by simply boiling water in a saucepan! The bathroom was very nice and clean. A hairdryer was attached to the wall. The shower had sufficient water pressure and hot water was never lacking. There was an abundance of clean towels. There was a nice sized closet with ample shelving and several hangers. A safe, iron and ironing board were also housed in this area. I really liked the full-length mirror attached to the wall. The bedroom area was nice as well. The bed was very comfortable and was dressed in nice linens. The flat screen TV sat atop a full chest of drawers. The air-conditioning unit was built in the wall and did a good job of cooling down the room. I did not feel that it was too noisy, but I do routinely wear earplugs when I sleep.

The staff that we met were lovely. Erica checked us in and was quite friendly and really helpful. We also met Maggie, Brenda and Ivana who were so nice as well. All the staff we encountered were quick with a hello and a smile.

If I had any complaints I would have to say that housekeeping was a bit hit or miss. There were 2 days that our room was not cleaned until close to 5pm which I thought was a bit late in the day. New towels were provided, but some used ones were left behind. Not really a big deal, but just a bit inconsistent. I also thought that the mini-blinds on the windows did a very poor job of keeping out the light. All the rooms had a light outside that never went out once it got dark and ours would just shine in on top of us in the bed. I am used to total darkness when I sleep, so this was an adjustment that was hard to make. It would take me ages to fall asleep, but once I did I slept soundly.

Overall we enjoyed our stay in this hotel and would rate it highly for staff, location, and cleanliness. The complaints I have are not deal breakers and I would probably return here again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CMac1029

CMac1029,
Thanks so much for staying with us. You review pretty much summed up The Ocean Gate. Great location, modern decor and amenities and especially a friendly staff iswhat North Beach Village is all about. Thanks a lot for noticing! We hope you can come back again soon, you're always welcome.

Reviewed March 2, 2012

Amanda, Ivana and the rest of the staff were very helpful and pleasant during our stay. This hotel was a nice find given the endless choices available nearby. It is set on a quiet street two blocks from the beach and offers all the amenities needed, including high speed internet access, for a comfortable stay at a good price.

Room Tip: This hotel offers three different sized units - some include kitchens
4  Thank NHmtnest

NHmtnest,
The Ocean Gate is always here for you whenever you need a break from those New Hampshire winters! Thanks for staying with us. Amanda, Ivana and the rest of the staff are wonderful. They work hard to make sure the guests are happy. Expansion is underway and The Ocean Gate will be a 3 building 3 pool family friendly hotel. Just think, even more to love! We hope you can come back and see. Thanks again!

Reviewed February 29, 2012

I travelled as a solo female alone for a week. I wanted a clean,comfortable, quiet and safe place to stay. The Ocean Gate was great for the clean part. Housekeeping was very nice. The only day I'd complain is the regular gals day off. Who ever covered for her left cleaning supplies and dirty rags in the room. Didn't really finish the job completely. But, overall every other day it was great. The room was a small size with one queen bed. There was plenty of storage space and the microwave, fridge, coffemaker all plugged into one socket, but only 2 spaces to plug. Needs an adapter for three plugs. There was also a safe in the closet with the other appliances. Ocean Gate was overall comfortable. The linens and towels were all very nice and plentful. The place is just not that quiet. My aircondtioning unit cycled so loudly that I had to complain to management. They were very kind in sending someone to look at it, but nothing was wrong and I was told I was the first to complain. Well it was too loud for me and kept me awake. I had to use earplugs to sleep. The manager did compensate me with a discount on my room price which was very nice, but it didn't make the airconditioner more quiet. She really did try hard to please me. People would slam doors and their was quite a bit of noise and it bothered me. Also smokers would sit outside and some of them would talk loudly and disturb my quiet time in my room. Even with the loud air, I could barely hear the tv,I could hear these people conversing outside my door. I called management one night and she was nice enough to get them to quiet down. The mini blinds do a terrible job of keeping out the light. If you're sensitive and need a dark space, bring blinders along. My last criteria was safety and on my first day I saw a police bust across the road at the Covenant House with 4 or 5 police cars and a guy cuffed on the road. This is a rehab or half way house for troubled youth. There is also a vacant lot next to this that you walk by on the way to the beach filled with liquor bottles and trash. It was unsightly and felt unsafe for me to be walking past it alone. So, the hotel has a wonderful staff and many nice features, but it also has some problems. One other thing is there is no on site office and no information given about the hotel either verbally or in writing. They need to put an information book like most hotels in each room to answer basic questions regarding rules and features of the hotel. Their happy to answer questions, but I would like to have the information given to me so I don't have to wonder how to check in or out. I guess I prefer an on site office available to customers. The rooms are nice. The location is a short walk to the beach and the staff is really outstanding. I wanted to love it here and give them a 5 star rating, but unfortunatly I have to be honest and tell the whole story. For me the overall experience was just average. If you can overlook some of the negatives it might be a place for you.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank PlanetR

PlanetR,
Thanks for your review. We're sorry that you weren't 100% satisfied with The Ocean Gate, but we do appreciate you noticing the exemplary staff. You're right, they are extremely nice and try accommodate the guests in every way possible. It's much easier to repair machines than find such a helpful staff so we feel pretty lucky. However, the comfort of our guests is our first priority and we'll definitely see how we can improve on the items you mentioned. Thanks again for staying with us!

Reviewed February 29, 2012

When I was searching for a place to stay for a couple of nights before a cruise I was skeptical of the great reviews for Maggie and the Ocean Gate Hotel. But I was familiar with the hotel's location, the price was right, and even if the hotel was over hyped, how bad could it be? As we pulled up to the curb in a taxi my wife and I were greeted by the famous Maggie before we even got our luggage out of the trunk. She welcomed us like we were long-lost friends, insisted on helping with the luggage, and suggested that we settle into our room and rest a while before we took care of the obligatory paperwork.

The room had a queen bed, and was not large. But it was clean, bright, and modern. (There are larger rooms/suites, with kitchenettes and private bedrooms, but we were happy with the queen.) There was a decent flat screen TV, one chair, a safe, microwave, and fridge in the closet, and a decent clean bathroom. The free wi-fi was a bit sketchy depending on where in the room you were, but worked well around the pool. The pool was just outside our door and looked cool and clean and refreshing.

Maggie is clearly a people-person and well suited to the hospitality industry. She was open and friendly and wanted to make sure that we were absolutely pleased with our brief stay.

The Ocean Gate is a new hotel about a block from the beach in a nice neighborhood. We could walk to the Galleria Mall or down to the shops and restaurants at Las Olas, and the beach itself was a stone's throw away. We always felt safe there. The Sun Trolley and the regular bus stopped at the corner, and it was easy to find a cab if needed. Maggie had a couple of bicycles which she either lent or rented, but we didn't take advantage of that.

When we were ready to taxi to the cruise port Maggie spent time arranging for the least expensive and most efficient ride for us, cancelling a shuttle and calling a taxi, and informing her staff to discontinue the overpriced shuttle for guests. I asked her if, after our cruise, we could bring our luggage back to the Ocean Gate for safe keeping until our flight back home later in the day. She was more than happy to oblige.

So Maggie is for real, and unless you want to spend a lot more money on a fancier place, I heartily recommend the Ocean Gate. I can't believe that anyone could leave there unhappy.

Room Tip: The Ocean Gate is expanding, and larger rooms will be available in March 2002 across the street from...
5  Thank SebagoGuy

SebagoGuy,
What a well written, informative review! Thank you so much. Yes, the infamous Maggie is real and so is the entire hardworking staff that makes up North Beach Village. We want our guests to receive the best service possible, and we are happy that you experienced this. Reviews like this are what makes all the hard work worth it. Thanks again for your feedback. We hope you can come back again soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2012

The Ocean Gate Hotel is a lovely, small hotel. With just 19 units, the staff gets to know everyone personally. They are terrific and accommodating. The units are pristine and comfortable. The staff is knowlegable and helpful. The location is terrific. It is a very short walk to the beautiful Fort Lauderdale beach. It is also a short walk to fine restaurants. The manager, Maggie Martino, could not be more helpful. We stayed here before and after our cruise. If I hadn't already booked the cruise, I would have just stayed there. Stay, you won't regret it. Mary and Harry

Room Tip: I like the ground floor rooms.
3  Thank Mary S
Info1000, Owner at Tranquilo, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

Mary & Harry,
What a kind review, thanks so much. This boutique hotel boasts just 19 rooms which, like you mentioned, really does allow for guests and staff to get to know each other. It's a really nice atmosphere and we're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Yes, next time save your money on the cruise and just opt to stay with us instead! Thanks again!