“Relaxing, beautiful, clean and fun!”
Review of 15 FTL Guesthouse

15 FTL Guesthouse
Chicago, Illinois
“Relaxing, beautiful, clean and fun!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at 15FTL for 4 nights for a spring break trip; in a word, it was incredible! The property is paradise; clean, comfortable and really beautiful. Walt was kind, helpful and a great host. We can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: We liked being in the back, on the 2nd floor; it was very quiet. But, the property is overall very s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Megan R
waltnnyc, Manager at 15 FTL Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for the kind review. We the new owners and staff at 15 FTL Hotel have worked hard to upgrade and change the property so that all adults 18 years and older feel welcome. It's guests like yourselves that make 15 FTL Hotel a friendly ,sunny oasis in the sun. We look forward to your next stay with us. Regards, 15 FTL Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Lawrence, KS
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Do not be fooled by the past reviews! This is not the New Zealand House and it shared nothing in common with it except a location at the same address. New owners, new rules as well as new furnishings. Anything before 2011 shouldn't be factored into your decision (and I am disappointed that the reviews were merged).

This facility, unlike the previous one, does not cater to a GLBT crowd and is definitely not clothing optional. The co-owner and onsite manager, Walter, warned me several times of this as I was checking in. In fact, as a previous guest of the New Zealand house he went out of his way to tell me the type of guests he prefers (European, younger, longer stays and larger groups) and problems he's had with previous guests and the fact the previous owners didn't pay their bills and went into foreclosure. I felt very uncomfortable hearing his opinions about the elderly and people with disabilities and thought twice about checking in. I'm just not used to hearing gossip like this about previous guests and I really felt it was irrelevant. I'm not a nudist but have no problem with someone who is. Honestly it's none of my business as I'm just looking for a safe clean place to sleep at night, which 15FTL simply couldn't give me.

Overall, the actual facility has had both upgrades and downgrades. The rooms have all been redone and stripped of art and furnishings that could be seen as catering to a GLBT crowd. Again, Walter was sure to tell me this with a sense of both pride and smugness. They are indeed really nice changes and the rooms are very nice and the bed was extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, the kitchen area was redone and missing was 24 hour access to this room and ice, but it has been upgraded and Walter told me more changes are on the way.

What has remained the same is the extremely complex parking situation. The spots are double upped so you frequently will either be blocked in or block someone else in.

What's missing is hospitality. Instead of the typical greeting I get when coming to a B&B such as "how was your trip?" or "Can I make suggestions for dinner?" this was all about previous guests and rules. Sigh. And the rules of this place don't make sense to the average traveller.

Although the doorhanger inside door gives you the choice of "Please make room up early" or "Do Not disturb" in fact I was later informed it's always do not disturb unless you put out the sign which in fact simply means make up room early. This notice isn't in the bedside policy book, check in confirmation, or on their website. All that money upgrading beds and furniture but reused door hangers kinda says it all. The only mention I had about the linen services was Walter explaining that he's had to institute a special charge for older clients that sometimes stain the bed due to incontinence. Not something you want to hear about after a long trip!

When my room wasn't made up and I asked about it, to say I was treated rudely would be the understatement of the year. Let's put it this way: Walter stated he knows customer service because he's a retired flight attendant. When I politely asked if there was housekeeping services on the weekend (some B&Bs don't have it) I was told I need to listen better at check-in as that policy was explained to me. When I disagreed, I was asked to leave the facility in no uncertain terms and suddenly found myself without a hotel room. Yup. I fear for the passengers that asked for their pillow fluffed during a flight or didn't listen to his pre-flight announcements. How fast is freefall again?

Was this about towels and a fluffed up pillow? No. That would be beyond silly-though maybe it was. This was about not being a preferred guest and freeing up the room for someone more towards his target market. This is of course his right as a business owner to have a specific clientele and reject those that don't match the image he desires. He wishes to paint a picture and doesn’t want to use all the crayons in the box.

And it's your right to take your business elsewhere if you aren't in his prefered target market especially if you are a previous guest (again, ignore reviews about the previous guest house located here!) If you are the type Walter wants, you'll probably have a great stay with this B&B close to the airport, wonderfully furnished and with, as the co-owner called it, a "European" atmosphere. Welcome aboard and be sure to keep your seat belt securely fastened because you risk a bumpy ride.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
19 Thank Daveg66044
waltnnyc, Owner at 15 FTL Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Well I guess you really don't like the changes we have brought to the property. It was in fact a gay men's clothing optional hotel before and that certainly "Does Not" fit our plans for the property into the future. Nor are we "gay only". So far Our over all clientele have all expressed their approval of being able to meet all types of people from all over the world of different back grounds and life styles. In this day and age really do people have to separate them selves to that degree. I think you took quite if not all out of context from our talks and you liked the previous owners gay only direction of the property .That is your right as this is an open forum for reviews. I do know there are many gay only places where you hopefully can find your nitch in the future. We are and will always welcome" All " guests who enjoy a quite restful clothing required type of Hotel/Guesthouse. Take it from me it's been an up hill battle for 2 years getting the older gay men to under stand we are new owners and this" is not a clothing optional/nudist type of property". Our only bad reviews are from guests like yourself who prefer a different type of business. We do wish you safe travels in the future. Regards, The Owner
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Arrived very late from Miami Airport, the owner very kindly left a key under the mat (or there abouts!) so thoughtful i felt....

First impressions were very good, great night lit pool, spacious room (no 3 i think) and excellant and large shower room. All spotless and clean, so for a few day stop over, this is good value for money considering the area and alternative larger im personal Hotels.

Breakfast was very good and choice, although alot of packaging seemed expensive for the owners but i guess time is of the essence here as the owner was tirelessly walking up and down maintaining the the development.

All good and highly recommended by all three of us taying there.

Room Tip: Room 3 i think if you want the Pool feet away although not as private maybe....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank ChrisHunt
waltnnyc, Manager at 15 FTL Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for the kind review we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. As the property has changed ownership these past years we are constantly trying to improve every ones enjoyment of the property. Room 3 is a direct pool front King room so is a bit less private so may I suggest a 2nd floor rom your next stay with us or one of our lovely court yard rooms. Again Thank you
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at 15 FTL for a weekend in late March 2013. Upon my arrival, Walt greeted me and provided me with great information about the area, as well as some guides and maps to get around. The room was very clean, modern, and well decorated. The bathroom was really nice, including the provided personal care items. The breakfast was more than ample, with a wide variety of options and a generous amount of time to access it. The hotel is very conveniently located near the beach, near Las Olas Blvd, and near Wilton Manors. I will definitely stay at 15 FTL again if I am ever in the Fort Lauderdale area!

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Kenny H
waltnnyc, Manager at 15 FTL Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Hi there, I'm so glad you enjoyed your self and your stay with us at 15 FTL Hotel. We get a lot of singles as well as couples and there's always some thing for all to do in the area around the hotel. When we get guests like your self it makes all the work well worth it. I hope if you travel this way again we'll see you. Stay well, Walt
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Found this last minute on TripAdvisor & wildly exceeded our expectations! We spent quite a bit of time talking to owner who chiefly operates and cares for entire property himself & has spared no expense or small detail you'd expect of a cozy B&B. Modern & cleanly designed comfortable rooms, relaxing 24hr heated pool in a garden setting, beach chairs/umbrellas/towels available for loan & beach is directly 2.5 miles down the blvd at end of street. Everything you need- seriously, everything- a short walk or drive away. Expansive continental breakfast was served out of small kitchen nook (included delicious coffee & almond/soy milks for cereal!) for you to enjoy poolside or in your room. Great location & definitely an oasis in the middle of hopping tourist area. Bike rental self-serve kiosk around corner and free parking. Escape chain/hotel eateries and opt for local fav Coconuts on waterfront for fresh seafood & best key lime pie. We didn't want to leave!!! Thanks Walt and see you soon!!

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank F3mm3fatal
Thank you so much for the lovely review. It was such a pleasure meeting you both and I look forward to being able to visit with you again in the future. It's always nice when we get guests who come to our little hotel to relax and just enjoy the surroundings. It makes all the work well worth it for us. Stay well and I'll pass on your high marks to the manager for one of my favorite place to eat Coconuts. You have to try The Foxy Brown next time also. Great food place. Thank you and see you again I hope. Walter
MI
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Finished out a FL trip with 1 night in Rm 7 (King suite). Our room was very well appointed--modern chic decor with high quality linens. Shower had extra jets (so awesome that I asked the hubs if we could get some in our shower at home! :) with lots of extra mirrors for getting ready (including a great full-length one--perfect!) All aspects of our room were clean & comfortable. The landscaping and pool area are gorgeous--several nice lounge chairs w/towels waiting for you, beach balls drifting in the swimming pool, tables w/umbrellas for shade. Breakfast was a heavy duty continental, with plenty of options (cereals, fruit, yogurt, sweets, coffee, juices). I was happy to take it out to a poolside table to enjoy.

Two small gripes:
-Wifi here was an issue for us. We were trying to get caught up with some work before our travel home, and that was tough because signal was not great in our room and best around the pool area. The owners stated they were working on a solution...but keep that in mind if you can't get away from your electronics for a day! :)
-Noise was generally not an issue in our room, but I did wake up once to a very loud motorcycle noise. Not sure where it came from, but the bed was super comfortable so I drifted back to sleep effortlessly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NJCARES
waltnnyc, General Manager at 15 FTL Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for the nice review and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Wifi can be an issue at times in the back of the hotel but is very good up towards the front and pool area. With so many I phones, pads, lap tops going at once it can drag the system down here and there. We are trying to find a better system and hope to have it installed soon. The motor cycle belonged to a guest here and he was kind enough to start it out by the street so it wouldn't be so noisy. It's Florida so there are a lot of motor cycles in town at any given time and guys seem to like the loud one's. Me I'd be deaf after one ride. Hope to see you again soon and stay well, Walter
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We traveled to Ft Lauderdale to escape the cold of winter for a family spring break. 15 FTL provided a clean and very relaxing environment that allowed us to truly unwind in spring sunshine. The pool and patio area is by far the best feature and always a warm 82 degrees (even if it was colder outside). They provide a nice well stocked breakfast spread that goes beyond the continental breakfast standards. The rooms are comfortable and very clean. FT Lauderdale beach is a few miles down the road and 15 FTL had a number of beach chairs, umbrellas, and beach towels to make our visit complete.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1 that has 2 queen sized beds and is on the first floor facing the pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank wblacker
waltnnyc, Manager at 15 FTL Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for the nice review and I'm so glad you enjoyed the property. We have worked hard to provide a great escape for people looking for a quite peaceful area to relax. It's always a pleasure to meet nice people that you can share a conversation and get to know. We look forward to your next stay with us. Stay well, Walter