“Amazing Find!”

Casa Frida Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #109 of 1,326 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Miami, Florida
“Amazing Find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Wonderful authentic Mexican food! The service, atmosphere and food were all outstanding. It was my first visit and will definitely be back to sample more of the menu. The mole was just like going to central Mexico! It is difficult to find real Mexican food in south Florida, but look no further this is the place!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Keri P

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“Great find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I went to Casa Frida for the first time today and was very impressed on multiple levels. This is definitely not your typical tex-mex oversized burrito. It was authentic home style mexican cooking. Mexico has 30 different states and the menu reflects a variety of regional Mexican specialties. I started with the menudo and chips and salsa with guacamole. The habenero and red onion sauce was outstanding, a great mix of firey habenero goodness complemented with the sweet tang of the onions. The waitress brought samples of their natural "aguas frescas" to try. I quickly fell in love with the Horchata, which to me tasted like a rice pudding milkshake, muy delicioso. For the main course, I chose the Cochinita Pibil, which has Mayan Indian origins. It was shredded pork with an amazing combination of spices laid on top of a slightly charred banana leaf. The best thing about Casa Frida is the subtleties of the flavors. Everything from the rice and beans has a little extra something special flavor wise. The service was also top notch. Both owners were there and were friendly and informative, telling stories about the history of the dishes. I will definitely be back and plan to try everything on the menu. It is nice to see real mexican food for a change instead of the same old tex mex standards. I have lived in Mexico and I will tell you, that burritos do not even exist there. If you want to taste authentic mexican food in a friendly atmosphere, I would hit this place up.

2 Thank DerekL39
Pompano Beach, Florida
“FANTASTIC FIND”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

What a refreshing taste of Mexico! If you want Tex -Mex or the junk southern Californian's call Mexican food, this is not the place for you. If you want a sampling of food from the regions within Mexico, Frida's is incredible. You taste the freshness of their food in every bite. Easy on the budget too.

1 Thank Frank B
Pompano Beach, Florida
“Browsing Broward County”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I recently moved to South Florida due to my company. Having been born and raised in Texas, my palate is very experienced to Tex-Mex and even authentic Mexican cuisine.
My friends, one from the Northeast coast and another a true South Floridian, asked my preference for dinner that evening to which I replied. Mexican. True Mexican food. They teased me back and forth suggesting Taco Bell and things of the like. I stood my ground. No. Mexican.
This brought us to Casa Frida in Fort Lauderdale. First of all, the location of it is very unassuming from the road. Have you heard the term "Don't judge a book by its cover". Ha. I will never will again.
Open getting out of the car and walking up to Casa Frida, I peeked into the windows. The colors, the ambiance, the lighting...Wow! Love it! Can't wait to get in. We would have had to wait a moment for a seat but our hostess asked if we would like to sit at the bar. I glanced over and thought that looks fun, actually.
The "hostess" asked what we would like and began his presentation of different available Sangrias and so forth.
The Sangria came and it warmed me up nicely. Our appetizer was a Mixed Sample. It consisted of Fried Raviolis, Fried Jalapenos with a beautiful presentation.
I thought, with Hispanic racing through my blood, that oh, I know jalapenos...Whatever.
These were amazing!!!
Then our hostess/waiter, suggested another type of appetizer that was a type of cheese that is placed onto corn or flour tortillas...forgive me. I cannot recall the name. He also brought out some picked vegetables and said eat this while that bite is in your mouth. I loved it!!!!!
He also brought out chips and salsa but not a normal red salsa. it was green not verde salsa but it was their blend that warmed my mouth and was just fabulous!
Next came our main course. I had Chicken Fajitas. I only thought I had fajitas before! These, along with the combination of all the flavors sent me into heaven on earth!
All along, he is telling us a story of Frida. What the name of Casa Frida means. How she was the most desirous of all painters in the world. Told her story.
As we finished our meal. He placed shots of tequila to cleanse our palate. Salut!
My stomach was already so full then he asked if we were ready for dessert. I went ahead but it was almost too much! I was so full but I still wanted to taste the dessert. He gave us the dessert his grandmother used to make.
He told us how he used to be a bullfighter in Mexico.
We weren't just eating a meal. We were getting an experience.
I asked him his name. Victor. Victor Bocos.
He never was stated, I am the owner. Not until I asked.
I called my friends back from Texas and said look when you guys come, I am taking you to Casa Frida!
You cannot get Authentic Mexican, true Mexican food like that.
It is, hands down, the best Mexican food I have ever had in my life!

2 Thank processingflorida
Hollywood, Florida
“How did you escape me?!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I eat a lot of Latin food. Tex-Mex or Mexican, not so much. I've had too many bad experiences with places that cover whatever dish, be it tamale or burrito, with a layer of yellow cheese and hot sauce that is meant to mask bland food. The times that I've have had "authentic" Mexican food, however, I've loved it. Achiote, queso blanco, good quality corn meal are like music to my taste buds. Slow roasted chicken tacos with hints of cinnamon, cloves and anise in each bite? Yes please! Thankfully, Casa Frida is the latter restaurant and serves up some great, authentic Mexican food. I look forward to coming back and eating here again as the food was so delicious and the staff were very friendly and prompt.

• Visited March 2013