“Worst experience”

Ranked #107 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
CA
“Worst experience”
Reviewed April 24, 2007

This was the worst motel/inn experience I've ever had. The place is falling apart. The front office pretty much has no roof, and there is nothing being done to make repairs. The rooms are disgusting, with mold in the bathrooms, stains on the carpets, old bedding, uncomfortable beds. The whole place is completely run down, and it's obvious no renovations have been made in decades. The front desk was rude, the shuttle driver was a maniac, the waitress in the diner was bitter and rude. I would never stay there again, even if it was for free.

Stayed April 2007
4 Thank cruiserCa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Cincinnati
Reviewed April 18, 2007

I stayed at this hotel in April, after returning from a Cruise from the Bahamas. My first major complaint was that the website promised free shuttle to and from the airport and seaport. Well, nowhere in ther website, and at no time was it mentioned during my confirmation call that shuttle service stops at 10:00 pm. Discovery cruises, the busiest cruiseline in Ft. Lauderdale, returns to port daily at 10:30. I can only imagine how many others have been left scrambling to get a taxi when they call the hotel to be picked up, only to be denied. The next morning wasnt any better. We waited an hour(two of us, not a large party) to get 10 minutes down the road to the airport, after the shuttle driver walked right by us, didnt stop at all, and climbed into his empty shuttle and drove off. The same driver returned an hour later (with an empty van)to take us to the airport. I have not even began to mention the absilute filth and nastiness of the rooms and the hotel. The bathroom smelled like urine and vomit, the sink was stained and dirty, and the towels looked questionably clean at best. Also,when we arrived at 11:30 at night,we had to walk arpound a very dark,unlit,unguarded corner and pathway to get to the room. We held our breath and really were concernedfor our safety, and I have never been a fearful traveller. Please do not consider staying at the place. I have been trying to look for a corporate address and not found one. Any help would be appreciated.

• Liked — Nothing!!
  • Disliked — It was filthy, and the advertised courtesy shuttle was not user friendly, and it seemed unsafe.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank bengalbray
Temple Hills, MD
Reviewed April 14, 2007

OK, I am one of those persons who is always looking for the positive. Well, all I can say is that I should have paid attention to the reviews on this hotel. My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for one night after our cruise. It was not what I was expecting at all. The hotel needs to be totally refurbished and thorougly sanitized. The air conditioner was barely cooling the room which made it very warm and uncomfortable for sleeping and the tub and tiles were dirty. There was no hot water. The carpet was dirty and the chairs were stained. I could not sleep because I didn't feel safe with all the noise of people constantly walking past my room and the women looking very "prostitute like" walking back and forth.

OK, there is one positive. There was a front desk clerk that worked in the evening who went above and beyond for my daughter and I. I went to her to asked where the nearest drug store was because my daughter needed something and the desk clerk asked was I driving and I said no and she actually went to the store for me and brought what we needed to my room, I am extremely grateful for her kindness!

BUT THE HOTEL STILL [--]!!

• Liked — friendly front desk employee
  • Disliked — unsanitized room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank leona4travel
Wisconsin
Reviewed April 9, 2007

We waited for over an hour at the airport for a shuttle to the hotel. It was hard to bear the smell of the room. The sheets were covered in sexual matter, hair, and bugs. When we switched rooms, it was the same case. Even when "relaxing" by the pool we felt threatened. We came and left in under an hour.

Stayed April 2007
Portland, ME
Reviewed March 25, 2007

My husband and boys arrived late at night to find many unhappy, screaming people in the tiny lobby area. They finally checked in and were directed to park in back as the front lot was full. This was a truck area, but only one truck was present and no visible signs. At 4:30 a.m., when they came out to go to the airport the rental car was
gone! There was a movable sign stating No Parking. Bottom line, they had to pay $190.00 CASH to get the car back plus the cab fees to race all over to get it and get to the airport to get their 6 a.m. flight. SCAM & the clerk is surely in on it! We will be following up on this.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Towing scam going on there!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank cowgirllauren
white rock
Reviewed March 8, 2007

The room was filthy. We were charged $229.00 for a room that was run down and poorly maintained. Requested a room change when we saw the condition of the room. Desk staff was totally unco-operative. Worst travel experience ever in 40 years of travelling.

Stayed February 2007
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed March 4, 2007

Usually when I see a bad review for a place I've stayed at, I feel the need to defend the place. But staying at the Red Carpet Inn in Ft. Lauderdale has broken me of that habit.

I have never stayed at a more disgusting, decrepit, broken down place than this. It's a bit misleading when you first pull up to the hotel - the reception area looks pretty normal. But you quickly realize as you're dragging your luggage to your room that maybe spending a couple extra bucks for a slightly better hotel - or even sleeping on the floor in the airport - is not such a bad idea.

Let's back up a minute and talk about how we ended up here. My husband and I were looking for a hotel that had a free shuttle to/from the Ft. Lauderdale airport. He found this hellhole on Hotels.com for about $100 (which, sadly, was considered inexpensive for the day we needed it) so he booked it. That was mistake #1 - we waited for nearly 2 hours at the airport for that bloody shuttle to arrive. We tried calling the hotel with the courtesy phone by the luggage claim area, but the phone just kept ringing. So we each tried calling with our cell phones and got the same result. Then, I called the 1-800 number for Red Carpet Inns and the customer service agent was equally useless - she tried calling the hotel too, but all it did was ring. Finally, she got the bright idea to send a fax to the hotel to tell them that people were waiting at the airport. Meanwhile, we kept trying the hotel's phone number every 20 minutes or so. We never did get through, but then a Red Carpet Inn shuttle van finally went by and my husband was able to flag him down. 15 minutes later, after a few sketchy back roads, we arrived at our luxurious accommodations.

Before we even got to the room I was disgusted. The lighting in the stairwells was horrible, the elevator was tiny and dark, and I hated the fact that all the rooms were accessible from the outside, which meant anybody could walk into the hotel complex and cause trouble. Oh yeah, and the curtains didn't fully cover the huge windows - peeping toms, take note!

Inside the room, it was as bad as other people say it is. Holes in the wall, cigarette burns on the blankets and sheets, stained chairs and old, beat up furniture. There were no non-smoking rooms available when we checked in, so we ended up in a smoking room that aggravated my asthma and made our clothes smell. Speaking of smells, the bathroom reeked of urine - god only knows the last time that floor was thoroughly cleaned. I was too afraid to look at anything too closely for fear of finding more sketchy things. I never walked around barefoot, and at night I even wore socks to bed! I prayed that bedbugs wouldn't eat me alive (no signs of them, at least ).

Luckily (?) the room we got had two queen beds. Because, the first bed we tried to sleep on turned out to be broken. The frame underneath it was totally disconnected and there was no way to rig it up to keep it together. The mattress slumped to one side, making the bed unusable. The other bed, while in tact, had a horrible dip in the middle that made me think of the awful things that could have caused it. That didn't help me get to sleep any faster. Nor did the sounds that came through the paper-thin walls. Such as our neighbor's TV show, or all the tractor trailers coming and going from the parking lot behind the building (turns out this place was a favorite for truckers), or the drunken rednecks drinking out by the pool. I lay in fear that night that at any minute, somebody was gonna come crashing through the paper-mache walls and... and I don't know what... anything you did to that place would have been an improvement!

As if the nightmare had ended when the sun came up... think again! After checking out, my husband and I got in line for the free shuttle back to the airport. We had seen two different RCI shuttles coming and going all morning so everything seemed OK. We got in line behind about 30 other patrons, but when it came our turn to get on a shuttle we were denied. Why? Because we were the only ones going to the flippin' airport! Huh? It turns out they were also providing shuttle transport to Port Everglades for the cruise lines. So, pretty much everybody going on a cruise got priority over us. The first shuttle driver to deny us said he wasn't allowed to go to the airport. The second one said she couldn't be bothered because there were only two of us - we had to wait in case any other airport folks showed up. By the way, you can SEE the cruise port form the airport!!! Talk about LAZY! Finally, on the third try we were stuffed into a shuttle van with about half a dozen cruise people, and of course they got dropped off first. Thank god we didn't have an early flight or we would have missed it. The whole reason we booked this damned hotel in the first place was for the shuttle - and TWICE we got burned! But, in retrospect, that was the least of our problems.

If you want to appreciate everything you used to take for granted, including fresh air, a good night's sleep, and privacy, then by all means stay at this hotel. But if you'd rather spend your mornings sipping coffee rather than nursing an aching back and searching your body for bedbug bites, I recommend that you stay elsewhere. For $100 you could stay at a hostel and go out for a nice dinner to boot!

• Liked — Watching it disappear from view as we drove away
  • Disliked — Everything - I regret not researching this place first, it should be condemned!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business