“In a word: DISGUSTING”

Ranked #108 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
DanaPaul
“In a word: DISGUSTING”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Red Carpet Inn before a Holland American Line (HAL) cruise. I did read the reviews (my husband didn't), but like everyone else we figured "It's only one night." It was one night too many! The first room they tried to give us was on the first floor right behind the pump house for the pool (which was dirty, had debri in it and a slimy film on top of the water). You can guess how loud it was, so I sent my husband back to the front desk to get another room. We then had a room on the 2nd floor. When we stepped off the elevator, 4 men were standing on the "balcony" drinking beer, smoking and being very loud. We stepped into the room and I was scared to touch anything! It wasn't clean, the furniture was pre-1970s and we could practically see through the towels and sheets. We went back downstairs to Lulu's Diner and asked a bellman it they served liquor and he said "They have everything you need." They do not serve liquor; only boxed wine and beer. We ordered: I had fried chicken, with mashed potatoes and vegtables - my husband had a chicken sandwich. The chicken tasted like they might have fried it last week, the mashed potatoes were boxed and the vegtables had so much water and no flavor, I spit them into my napkin. My husband tried the best he could to wrestle with that sandwich and I think the sandwich won! He got about 3 good bites out of it before he gave up. We did have breakfast there the next morning because we figured the cook couldn't mangle up eggs and we were right. It was a fairly decent breakfast. We went right outside to wait for the cruise shuttle and got onto the 2nd shuttle of the day. The driver was nice and friendly and got us to the ship in more than enough time to board. I do want to say something about the service -- everyone working there was extremely nice (except the night clerks were not nice because we changed rooms) but the morning clerks, the bellmen, clean up crew and even the waitresses were extremely nice and almost apologetic about the facilities. It's just too bad they have to work in such a shoddy environment. They are the main reason why I gave this review 1 star. Perhaps the owner should call Hotel Impossible for a makeover. The only thing good about this hotel was the free shuttle to the cruise port. After staying here, your stateroom will look like a palace!

Room Tip: Spend a little more $ and stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I was coming in from a long rod trip and I was looking for a place to stay for one night because I was going to be leaving Florida via the Fort Lauderdale airport the next day and I wanted to stay somewhere close by. After searching around most of the hotels and motels around the airport and realizing almost all of them were overpriced, I eventually booked a room from them via the internet and it took me a while to find the place and when I did, I was just tired. Upon checking in, right off the bat I had a feeling things weren't going to go the way I hoped because the person who was working the night shift was just awful - not cheerful, not welcoming...just kind of what do you want?...ok...here you go sort of vibe. But at the same time, I understand it's night shift and it isn't the greatest working hours.

Anyways, I thought it was just my device but after trying like a million times to connect and failing, I just came to the conclusion that their WiFi just doesn't work even though I was told it does. My room looked great...until after I unpacked all my bags and clothes and there was this HUGE half-dead beetle-like bug (no word of a lie) sitting there on its back by the air conditioner. (There was also a dead insect in the shower area which I washed down the drain.) I tried to kill the beetle like 3 times until I gave up, tired as heck and went to bed somewhat paranoid about bed bugs and other creepy crawlers. And the only reason I didn't complain was because I was sooooooooo tired and I didn't have the energy to care as I was leaving in the morning...but it did "bug" me (pun intended).

Other than that, it was an ok place to stay - nothing more, nothing less. It was a decent price and it is definitely better than other motels of similar nature but I am not sure if I'd return in the future based on my experience.

• Stayed April 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed April 20, 2013

You get what you pay for... ALL Rooms are overpriced in the Ft. Lauderdale market by the airport and Cruise terminal. Our expectation was met. They promptly picked us up at the airport 1pm. We checked in early, found the front desk personal very helpful. We took the city bus to the beach for the day... only $4ea for unlimited use and very near the motel. Enjoyed breakfast at LuLu's early.. prior to catching the early shuttle to the cruise port Saturday. The bed was comfortable, room was noisy but we were anxious to board the ship so it didn't matter to us. 8 star Princess cruise was on the horizon so overall it worked for us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 19, 2013

It is fine for an overnight stay which was my case on my way to Jamaica. They have a shuttle that picks you up from and takes you to the airport which is very convenient. Located very close to the airport. The room was decent for the price.... you get what you pay for. I do agree with others that the Wi-Fi does not work. There is restaurant attached to the property, but I didn't see anyone in there except in the AM for breakfast. And there is a sports bar next door which was pretty good. Not much else in walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chilliwack BC
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed 2 nights pre-cruise in a king sized room. Our flight arrived too late to use airport shuttle so can't comment on that. A $20 taxi ride took us to the motel where main lobby was closed so we had to check in through a hole in the glass. We've never experienced this before. Room looked like picture on website with recent upgrades. However, there were unpatched holes where old locks and chains had been removed, cracks in the walls that needed patching/painting. The room was clean except behind the bathroom door and the a/c worked great. That's the good, now for the bad.

The motel is located away from anything although it is on a bus route, so we used transit to get to shops, etc. The wi-fi does not work. If staff already know this, I don't know why they don't persue having this fixed. Even the computer in the lobby timed out before I'd finished an email (I'm a typist and I wasn't on it for the 1/2 hour time limit). The lady sitting next to me complained the same thing was happening to her. Simple solution, get a tech in and fix it.

We asked if there was a sign-up sheet for shuttle to cruise port and was told no, just be downstairs by 10 a.m. and there would be 3 shuttle busses transferring guests. That should have been our first clue things would go wrong as we've always signed up at other hotels. We went downstairs just before 10 a.m. and stood in a long line of people for 40 mins and seen one shuttle van that held about 10 people and their luggage.. After doing the math, we went inside and asked for a taxi. The desk clerk called and told me a taxi would be there in about 10-15 mins. When I asked which company was picking us up, he said it was an employee who was running a private shuttle service. At this point I lost it and told him I want a real licensed taxi, which he called. When our taxi arrived, the driver was stampeded by at least 5 people all claiming they had ordered a taxi that never arrived (perhaps the private shuttle service?) Our taxi driver stood his ground and took us to the cruise ship terminal. Straight to the drop-off area cost $12.

Food at the on-site restaurant was mediocre at best. Most of it tastes like food from the freezer section and nothing we ate was fresh. Fort Lauderdale has some of the highest room rates for some of the worst hotels and many fellow cruise passengers agreed. If you need a cheap room and nothing else, go ahead and book this motel, but keep your expectations low and it will do just fine.

Room Tip: We had an upper floor room on the east side and we were not bothered by any noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The whole place has been remodeled since my last visit. It was very nice. We arrived early in the morning the day before our reservations were scheduled and they only had one room available at that time, which we took. It was higher priced then the one we had reservations for, but we were lucky to get it. We would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Prior committing myself with this hotel, I read the reviews from other website and found nothing unusual. After making the booking, I read it was ranked 93 out of 134 in Fort Lauderdale.

After staying for two nights, I found my bathroom was dirty, insects running around the floor, needed repairs were not made, front door does not close properly. TV does not work. Hotel offers no service and wi-fi connection is very poor. The on-site restaurant charges at flat 20% tip for their service.

Michael Z