“Ok for one night”
Review of Red Carpet Inn

Red Carpet Inn
Ranked #107 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed April 20, 2013

You get what you pay for... ALL Rooms are overpriced in the Ft. Lauderdale market by the airport and Cruise terminal. Our expectation was met. They promptly picked us up at the airport 1pm. We checked in early, found the front desk personal very helpful. We took the city bus to the beach for the day... only $4ea for unlimited use and very near the motel. Enjoyed breakfast at LuLu's early.. prior to catching the early shuttle to the cruise port Saturday. The bed was comfortable, room was noisy but we were anxious to board the ship so it didn't matter to us. 8 star Princess cruise was on the horizon so overall it worked for us.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 19, 2013

It is fine for an overnight stay which was my case on my way to Jamaica. They have a shuttle that picks you up from and takes you to the airport which is very convenient. Located very close to the airport. The room was decent for the price.... you get what you pay for. I do agree with others that the Wi-Fi does not work. There is restaurant attached to the property, but I didn't see anyone in there except in the AM for breakfast. And there is a sports bar next door which was pretty good. Not much else in walking distance.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed 2 nights pre-cruise in a king sized room. Our flight arrived too late to use airport shuttle so can't comment on that. A $20 taxi ride took us to the motel where main lobby was closed so we had to check in through a hole in the glass. We've never experienced this before. Room looked like picture on website with recent upgrades. However, there were unpatched holes where old locks and chains had been removed, cracks in the walls that needed patching/painting. The room was clean except behind the bathroom door and the a/c worked great. That's the good, now for the bad.

The motel is located away from anything although it is on a bus route, so we used transit to get to shops, etc. The wi-fi does not work. If staff already know this, I don't know why they don't persue having this fixed. Even the computer in the lobby timed out before I'd finished an email (I'm a typist and I wasn't on it for the 1/2 hour time limit). The lady sitting next to me complained the same thing was happening to her. Simple solution, get a tech in and fix it.

We asked if there was a sign-up sheet for shuttle to cruise port and was told no, just be downstairs by 10 a.m. and there would be 3 shuttle busses transferring guests. That should have been our first clue things would go wrong as we've always signed up at other hotels. We went downstairs just before 10 a.m. and stood in a long line of people for 40 mins and seen one shuttle van that held about 10 people and their luggage.. After doing the math, we went inside and asked for a taxi. The desk clerk called and told me a taxi would be there in about 10-15 mins. When I asked which company was picking us up, he said it was an employee who was running a private shuttle service. At this point I lost it and told him I want a real licensed taxi, which he called. When our taxi arrived, the driver was stampeded by at least 5 people all claiming they had ordered a taxi that never arrived (perhaps the private shuttle service?) Our taxi driver stood his ground and took us to the cruise ship terminal. Straight to the drop-off area cost $12.

Food at the on-site restaurant was mediocre at best. Most of it tastes like food from the freezer section and nothing we ate was fresh. Fort Lauderdale has some of the highest room rates for some of the worst hotels and many fellow cruise passengers agreed. If you need a cheap room and nothing else, go ahead and book this motel, but keep your expectations low and it will do just fine.

Room Tip: We had an upper floor room on the east side and we were not bothered by any noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The whole place has been remodeled since my last visit. It was very nice. We arrived early in the morning the day before our reservations were scheduled and they only had one room available at that time, which we took. It was higher priced then the one we had reservations for, but we were lucky to get it. We would stay there again.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Prior committing myself with this hotel, I read the reviews from other website and found nothing unusual. After making the booking, I read it was ranked 93 out of 134 in Fort Lauderdale.

After staying for two nights, I found my bathroom was dirty, insects running around the floor, needed repairs were not made, front door does not close properly. TV does not work. Hotel offers no service and wi-fi connection is very poor. The on-site restaurant charges at flat 20% tip for their service.

Michael Z

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Not sure where the hotel pics came from but our hotel looked nothing like them. This is an older hotel in bad need of restoration or renovation. Multiple buildings and they may have upgraded a couple but not ours. What had been renovated was not done professionally or complete in any way. It looked like a bunch of kids did it.
The room was not clean. There were hand prints, dirt, debris and hair all over from past guests.
The AC was loud and woke us up every time the compressor cut in and out. The AC leaked on the floor of the room all night. It was either COLD cold or Hot. No in between.
In the pics of the hotel it shows a lucious spacious room with new bedding and new AC. Nothing was new in our room. The 1 small blanket on each bed had many cigarette burns in non smoking rooms. No comfortor. Just an old thin bottom sheet, top sheet and the older thin blanket with burns. Beds were uncomfortable.
The bathroom is so small my petite small framed wife had trouble giving my 7 year old a shower without leaving the door open.
As others have commented on the walls and ceiling are paper thin and it sounded like a herd of cattle all around us... all night.
Location is great to cruise port and airport and they do offer a free shuttle from the airport and to the cruise port. The problem was I called the hotel before booking to make sure they would pick us up at the cruise port and take us to the airport. I was told oh yes no problem. So that and the price are the 2 reasons I booked this room. While checking out and heading to cruise port I asked the procedure for getting picked up at the crusie port. I was told they don't do that. They only get you back to the hotel. I spoke with the manager who told me I was crazy and that they never told me they would do that and he walked off. I would not have booked the room if I wasn't told they would that.
Thankfully the nice, respectful, helpful shuttle driver that actually cares heard this. On the way to the crusie port he gave me his card and said he would take care of it and to call him when we arrived back off the crusie. True to his word he did. Came within 10 minutes and took us to the airport with a smile. Others reviews have also mentioned him favorably.
This campus landscape is beautiful and has such great potential. We felt safe at the hotel and in the area.
We ate breakfast in the hotels restaurant/sports bar on Sun morning before heading to crusie port. A little pricey but that is to be expected. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned well from Sat night. Don't know where the nice looking pic of the restaurant with new tables, chairs and nice table cloths came from but ours looked outdated and old and had no table cloths.
I have verified that I did not make a mistake on the pics and facility. My guess is 1 of the 4 buildings has been some what updated and was staged for the pics to look great. We just expected better cleanliness and quality from a name brand hotel trying to revamp it's brand.
Now we know why they were much cheaper than the other name brand hotels close by.
To be honest now that we know what to expect and given the shuttle and if the price is right we would stay here again. Location location location and good price.

Room Tip: Ask for the updated remodeled rooms. Not the older ones
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
RedCarpet2008, Manager at Red Carpet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

We are sorry to hear about your stay. All our photos were taken on property. We do not use any stock photography as some hotels do. 80% of our property has brand new furnishings. The balance is scheduled in the next two weeks. Our property is also 100% concrete construction including the ceiling and roofs.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We like the pool. It was to bad it was cool this time of the year. It was clean. There is a diner next to the hotel which the food was ok. It took us awhile to figure out where the hotel was located.The road's in fort lauderdale are funny. You are about 15 mins away from the air port. You really need a car to come here. They seemed to have alot of people saying over night. Check out was busy.