“Hotel pics are VERY misleading”
Review of Red Carpet Inn

Red Carpet Inn
Ranked #105 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Hotel pics are VERY misleading”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Not sure where the hotel pics came from but our hotel looked nothing like them. This is an older hotel in bad need of restoration or renovation. Multiple buildings and they may have upgraded a couple but not ours. What had been renovated was not done professionally or complete in any way. It looked like a bunch of kids did it.
The room was not clean. There were hand prints, dirt, debris and hair all over from past guests.
The AC was loud and woke us up every time the compressor cut in and out. The AC leaked on the floor of the room all night. It was either COLD cold or Hot. No in between.
In the pics of the hotel it shows a lucious spacious room with new bedding and new AC. Nothing was new in our room. The 1 small blanket on each bed had many cigarette burns in non smoking rooms. No comfortor. Just an old thin bottom sheet, top sheet and the older thin blanket with burns. Beds were uncomfortable.
The bathroom is so small my petite small framed wife had trouble giving my 7 year old a shower without leaving the door open.
As others have commented on the walls and ceiling are paper thin and it sounded like a herd of cattle all around us... all night.
Location is great to cruise port and airport and they do offer a free shuttle from the airport and to the cruise port. The problem was I called the hotel before booking to make sure they would pick us up at the cruise port and take us to the airport. I was told oh yes no problem. So that and the price are the 2 reasons I booked this room. While checking out and heading to cruise port I asked the procedure for getting picked up at the crusie port. I was told they don't do that. They only get you back to the hotel. I spoke with the manager who told me I was crazy and that they never told me they would do that and he walked off. I would not have booked the room if I wasn't told they would that.
Thankfully the nice, respectful, helpful shuttle driver that actually cares heard this. On the way to the crusie port he gave me his card and said he would take care of it and to call him when we arrived back off the crusie. True to his word he did. Came within 10 minutes and took us to the airport with a smile. Others reviews have also mentioned him favorably.
This campus landscape is beautiful and has such great potential. We felt safe at the hotel and in the area.
We ate breakfast in the hotels restaurant/sports bar on Sun morning before heading to crusie port. A little pricey but that is to be expected. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned well from Sat night. Don't know where the nice looking pic of the restaurant with new tables, chairs and nice table cloths came from but ours looked outdated and old and had no table cloths.
I have verified that I did not make a mistake on the pics and facility. My guess is 1 of the 4 buildings has been some what updated and was staged for the pics to look great. We just expected better cleanliness and quality from a name brand hotel trying to revamp it's brand.
Now we know why they were much cheaper than the other name brand hotels close by.
To be honest now that we know what to expect and given the shuttle and if the price is right we would stay here again. Location location location and good price.

Room Tip: Ask for the updated remodeled rooms. Not the older ones
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
RedCarpet2008, Manager at Red Carpet Inn, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
We are sorry to hear about your stay. All our photos were taken on property. We do not use any stock photography as some hotels do. 80% of our property has brand new furnishings. The balance is scheduled in the next two weeks. Our property is also 100% concrete construction including the ceiling and roofs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Ontario Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We like the pool. It was to bad it was cool this time of the year. It was clean. There is a diner next to the hotel which the food was ok. It took us awhile to figure out where the hotel was located.The road's in fort lauderdale are funny. You are about 15 mins away from the air port. You really need a car to come here. They seemed to have alot of people saying over night. Check out was busy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I hesitated booking this hotel after reading all of the previous reviews. I only needed a room for one night and this was the cheapest one that offered free hotel and cruise port shuttle. It was still not worth the price. The staff was friendly and the room was clean. One of the downfalls was being right across from the hotel generator that was noisy all night. The food in the restaurant was not bad but the service was extremely slow. It took nearly 15 mins before the only waitress that was working to take our order. It took another 20 mins for her to bring our food. Oh yeah!! she never put my order in so she only brought out my husbands food. I had to continue to wait. We decided to order food to go later that night, we were told it would be 20 mins. We waited 30mins and when we went to pick it up we waited another 15 mins for the food and another 15 mins after that for 2 sodas. The transportation was good we didn't wait long for the shuttle at the airport and the shuttle to port was right on time. The drivers were great. Cannot say I would stay again but I will think about it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here for one night while on business and found the hotel room to be quite comfortable and clean. When we arrived the hotel parking lot was completely full. We were told by the front desk staff that there were four cruises leaving from the port the next morning. It was also spring break for many college students. Our room was on the first floor and was a non-smoking room. It seemed to have been recently remodeled (minus the bathroom) and didn't have any musky/ stale odors. There was tile floor throughout. We had a nice king-sized bed which was pretty comfortable. The TV did have a bad connection and our picture quality was very grainy. The bathroom is in need of an update. It was a pretty small tub/ shower combo with a shower curtain (which I hate in hotels). However the water pressure almost blasted us through the wall. Our air conditioning unit was very, very loud when it turned on and actually jolted me awake once. But it worked great and to me, that's what counts. The restaurant on the property, Lulu's, was interesting with its varying decorations but had a decent bar and cold beer. The manager stopped by and talked to us for a bit, he was really nice and we found out he used to live near our town. We had breakfast there which was okay in flavor and decently priced. I would definitely stay at the Red Carpet Inn again if I was in town for business or leaving for a cruise. You can't really beat it for the price. They have done a great job with remodeling the rooms; hopefully the bathrooms will be remodeled in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our stay there before a cruise was very enjoyable. The room was newly renovated and perfectly clean. Breakfast was wonderful in the adjoining restaurant with very friendly waitresses. We especially appreciated the shuttles from the airport and then to the cruise port. We will stay at this hotel whenever we are in Ft. Lauderdale.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank arlenet36
Gowen, Michigan
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I wish I could remember the woman's name who was working the front desk when we arrived. She was wonderful. We had a room that overlooked the pool, It was nice. I didn't hear any truck noise but could hear a plane now and then but didn't wake me when I was asleep. I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anita B
Madison, Mississippi
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had a convention in Miami but there were dozens of events going on at the same time so hotel rooms were at a premium. I went to Hotwire and found this hotel at a most economical price. I was the only one staying so I couldn't see paying $200+ for a room for 3 days. This room was a 1/4 of that. The travel time into Miami was pretty easy on the weekend but a slow go on the weekdays, but the savings was worth it. The hotel was easy to get to and convenient to the interstate. The room was clean and the service was good. This lodging exceeded my expectations & was a safe area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business