“great pre cruise stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL.

Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area, FL.
Ranked #35 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
County Donegal, Ireland
“great pre cruise stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2009

we stayed at the hampton inn for 2 nights pre cruise. our room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. my husband and 8yr old daughter and myself had a 2 dbl bed room. the free breakfast was plentiful and the free tea and coffee at reception was a nice touch. there is a nice swimming pool which we didnt have time to use with plenty of loungers .
the surrounding area is very quiet and slightly rundown but we always felt safe and used the trolley to get around which at this time of year only operates at weekends and walked ,approx 15 min walk to las olas boulevard. fort lauderdale is lovely place and even if you,re only there short while have a trip on the water bus, a cheap way to see a lot . the waterways and the houses are fabulous.
we ate at the cheesecake factory on las olas and it was very good. i would definitely return and would recommend this hotel. very reasonable and only short walk or trolley ride from las olas.

Stayed January 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2009

My husband and I stayed here in July of 2008. We attended a comedy show at the Seminole Hardrock Casino and spent the night nearby. The hotel is within 5 miles of the casino. Our room was on the 3rd floor so we were to park in the parking garage for hotel guests only and walk directly to our room. The garage is secure and we felt safe parking there.

Our room was spacious and very nice. The bed was extremely comfortable and we wish we were spending more than just one night there.

The hotel provides free internet and the free breakfast was delicious. They had a hot dish and the usual items, bagels, cerealk etc. We would stay there again in the future.

• Liked — It's closeness to the casino
  • Disliked — nothing.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
West Bend, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2008

As we approached the Hampton Inn City Center around 11 AM, my thoughts wandered to Puerto Morales Mexico near Cancun. We saw lots of buildings boarded up or partially demolished and several men sleeping in doorways or sidewalks in near the unused buildings.

Entering the Hampton Inn City Center, we observed an impressive lobby with a balcony, which we learned, housed the complimentary breakfast area. The room was typical Hampton Inn with the exception of the bedding. The mattress was soft and rough on my back.

There is a nice pool area with whirlpool and plenty of seating for sunbathing. The fitness room is well equipped and convenient to the elevators. We used a taxi from the airport to the Hampton Inn City Center that cost $14.60 plus tip. The hotel has complimentary parking near the entrance to the hotel.

The breakfast was typical Hampton Inn with choices of cereals, fruits, breads, pastries. Today’s hot food was sausage patties and French toast.

The Riverwalk area and Second Avenue dining and entertainment area is a short walk of about five blocks through a rather depressed area. We only saw two Taxi’s cruising the area leaving me to believe that you need to call to reserve a taxi.

I’d return if the price was right but I’d prefer to stay at a hotel closer to the Riverwalk to limit the use of taxis and minimize walking through the depressed area.

• Liked — Hampton Inn quality and services
  • Disliked — Hotel located in a declining area
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank DetailsByBill
atlanta ga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2008

This was my second stay at this particular Hampton Inn. I was down for a business trip and had a friend of mine tag along, so I thought this would be a nice alternative to the other Hamptons in the area, which are your standard 3 or 4 story Hampton on side streets away from downtown. This property is a nice high rise in the city center, only a 2 or 3 block walk from the "river walk" area with lots of upscale shops and restaurants. My favorite part of this hotel is its secure parking, its high rise feel, and its really nice pool area, which my friend enjoyed while I worked. :-)
The rooms were nice, clean, and comfortable. I will say I found the bed a bit soft, and not what I have found to be the standard mattress in most Hamptons, which are very comfortable. But it was ok. The neighborhood does appear a little shady at night, but nothing that I think would deter me from staying here or recommending it to someone. We got a great rate and I would definitely stay here again. One last note... when we checked out, my freind left their cell phone charger in the room. I called the following day and spoke to housekeeping, who did have it, and fed ex'd to to us, so Thank You! I was sure it was a lost for good..

• Liked — Location, Pool Area
  • Disliked — Mattress was soft. Did not have the upgraded feel as most Hamptons Beds.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Patrick C
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2008

My partner and I stayed here the night before our cruise on the Caribbean Princess. We arrived very late (after midnight) and were greeted by Cesar, the nighttime desk guy. He was friendly, and had us in the room in about five minutes. The room was clean, and exactly what we expected from a Hampton Inn.

Even though it was spring break time, the hotel was absolutely quiet and beautifully maintained (meaning no kids running up and down the hallways in the night or drunk college kids).

We took advantage of the quiet and enjoyed a dip in their 2nd floor hot tub, which was just what we needed after a very long flight. Towels were provided by the front desk.

Their free breakfast was quite nice. They had it set up so you could make your own sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit, along with fruit, yogurt, cereal, and sweet rolls. I was enough to get us to the buffet on the cruise ship!

I don't know what your cab ride will cost from the Fort Lauderdale airport, but ours was $15.16. I believe it was a 10 minute drive. They don't have a free shuttle, but they do have some sort of deal with a shuttle service for getting to the cruise port ($8/person).

I didn't get much of a look at the neighborhood, but it seemed a little unsavory to me. There is an abandoned building (looks like an old school) across the street where I saw several homeless people camping out. Sadly, this was our view from the room. They do have very good security procedures though. You need your room card to enter the building (at least for every door I went through), so I didn't feel concerned about my safety.

It's a beautiful building, very clean, and I intend to stay here again before my cruise in 2009.

I got, I felt, a great deal from the hotel website. I booked it several months before our cruise, and for some reason decided to check again about a month before we left. The price had dropped by $79.82, so I called Hampton, explained the situation, and they gave me the lower rate with no fuss at all. Very good customer service, in my opinion!

• Liked — Clean, Friendly, No Hassles
  • Disliked — Location (a minor point for me though)
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MikeLasVegas
Cheshire, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2008

I spent a night here before my drive down to Key West. It was exactly what I was looking for, a clean, comfortable place to spend the night, relatively close to I-95, and a good complimentary breakfast. Parking is provided in a gated parking garage.

Check-in was fast and courteous. The hotel is located within walking distance of the shops and restaurants along the RIverwalk. The hotel is located a fair distance from the beach, so if the beach is your primary destination, this won't be the most convenient lcoation for you.

This was the first hotel I've been in that actually required a room key to operate the elevator, so there are additional safety features.

The complimentary breakfast was well-stocked and had a decent variety. The breakfast area was fairly spacious and finding somewhere to sit wasn't a problem.

I had a few minor issues, but nothing insurmountable. I went to use the vending machine on my floor to get a soda, and it wasn't stocked, so I went down to the next floor. (I used the stairs and my room key worked.) Same scenario, so I ended up trying twice more before I was successful. A minor inconvenience, but not the end of the world.

Also, the parking garage ramp curves are TIGHT! I realize that parking garages aren't known for wide circulation lanes, but these are some of the narrowest I've seen, and it doesn't help when they have columns in the middle of them either. Aside from a few very careful turns, parking is covered and conveniently attached to the hotel.

• Liked — Cleanliness, breakfast, access to restaurants
  • Disliked — Out-of-stock vending machine and tight curves on parking garage ramp
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank huskyhoops
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2008

Excellent covered and gated non-valet parking. A free trolley appears every 20 minutes to take you to the main shopping and restaurant district (important because parking space is very scarce in Ft. Lauderdale). The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms and baths are large and clean. Wifi internet access is available in the rooms, and reaches to at least the 7th floor. There is a good and varied free breakfast available on the 2nd floor breakfast promenade. Slightly pricey, but costs only about 1/3 the very pretentious luxury resort hotel we visited, which did not provide free amenities this hotel provided. We would stay there again.

Stayed March 2008