“Great price for nice room”

Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale /Downtown Las Olas Area
Ranked #28 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 1, 2008

We recently stayed here for a night after returning from a cruise. The hotel was very reasonably priced, especially for Fort Lauderdale. Our room was very clean & comfortable. The staff was friendly. There was ample free parking, a rare thing in Fort Lauderdale. And the Hampton Inn free breakfast. The hotel is located downtown fairly close to the Riverwalk area. We had hoped for walking distance to restaurants & shopping, but it was too far, and I was leery of the neighborhood. There was however, a trolley stop right at the front door, so it was easy to get to restaurants, shopping & the beach. If you want to stay right in the thick of things, this is not the place. If you a want comfortable lodging with a reasonable price tag, don't hesitate to book a room here.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bully-o

Reviewed December 29, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for one night post-cruise. The rooms were very clean and looked to be brand new. The hotel staff was very helpful in directing us to a good mall for holiday shopping. What I can't say enough about is the great bed in our room. It was one of the most comfortable sleeps I've ever had in a hotel. I'd definitely return if I needed a place to stay in Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KT32
Reviewed November 11, 2007

My wife and I stayed here for one night at the end of our cruise out of Port Everglades. I selected this hotel because of the value ($125/nt plus tax) and the reviews here in TripAdvisor. I wanted something close to Las Olas, since I had already spent three nights on the beach before the cruise.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the place. We arrived at 9 am, well before the normal checkin time. We were promptly given a room and welcomed to partake in the continental breakfast (which, frankly, was of better quality than the food from the cruise I was just on). We spent the day sitting by the pool, which was well kept and quiet. A 5 minute walk took us to the restaurants and attractions around Las Olas. Our room itself was large, new, and clean with a very comfortable bed. We got more than we expected. It also included free Internet access. While clearly a business hotel, don't discount this as a tourist hotel. It's good for everyone. Definitely a place we would stay again in a heartbeat.

Regarding the negative reviews, yes you need to use your keycard to access the floors above #2. It's not hard: you swipe your card and pick your floor. Easy as pie. Second, the idea that this is in a bad neighbourhood is simply not true. It's one block from the Las Olas business district. Why else would it be a business hotel?

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Devo2003
Reviewed November 4, 2007

I have never written a hotel review but I said when I get back to CA I have to write one on this place. I was having dinner in South Beach Miami and decided there was no way I was staying there as most everything is quite old and the few that weren't were very expensive. I like the Hampton so called and made a reservation and drove the 30 min to get to it. I was so pleased with the place. It was clean, clean, clean and pretty and secure. The swimming pool was beautiful. The breakfast was great as usual. If I go back to that area, I will make it a point to stay there. The picture they have of the room doesn't do it justice. When I stayed there they had big fluffy white comforters and linens. The place was very comfortable and the staff extremely accommodating.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank alskea
Reviewed October 21, 2007

Never having before been to Ft. Lauderdale, I picked the Hampton Inn Downtown for a short weekend getaway trusting to the mostly positive write-ups here. My overall impression is essentially the same. The hotel is located a few miles north of Ft. Lauderdale airport and took about 10 minutes by cab ($15-17) with minimal traffic. The hotel is next door to City Hall, Court Buildings, and Library. It is about a 10 minute walk to the Las Olas St. night life area and Riverwalk. I saw little in terms of stores, etc right next to the hotel but a block to the east there is a CVS, a Starbucks, sandwich shops, etc.

The hotel is wonderful. The staff was very accommodating, letting me check in early and making sure I was settled. The room was clean and smoke free and good size. There is a coffeemaker stocked daily, a small fridge, and a college sized microwave. The shower gave a moderately strong stream. The bed was of the soft and comfy kind. The expandable desk was good sized and had extra power outlets as well as the Ethernet cable. My stay was very quiet partly because of the hotel rooms but also because I think I wasn’t placed on a busy floor.

The complimentary internet access, which you access with a code, developed a glitch the first afternoon I was there but it was more or less fixed before the next day – this is okay for leisure travelers but even for only a few hours for someone on business this might be a problem. The AC was a little loud. There is an attached parking structure but I didn’t use it – nor did I use the pool.

Breakfast comes with the stay and was pretty good though not deluxe. You get it at a 2nd floor lounge area and had fruit, pastries, cereals, juices, eggs, bagels/toast, etc. The coffee was good. They keep a coffee and cookie station in the lobby.

Okay, the safety theme. I did wonder about needing the key to operate the elevator. Personally, I think more hotels should do the same. The area immediately around the hotel is a civic area – neither business, commercial, or residential, so that if you are walking at night all you see are a few lone men standing around not apparently doing anything. For all I know they could be waiting to get their grandmothers from the bus depot a few blocks away but I wasn’t going to ask.

Depending on what you’re in Ft Lauderdale for, Hampton Inn is a good recommendation. It’s a clean and comfortable base with plenty of amenities. Just a note about Yellow Cab - they literally within 2 minutes of a call – so don’t call figuring you can finish what you’re doing before they arrive like in most cities.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
7  Thank J13345
Reviewed October 21, 2007

Business took me to Ft Lauderdale and a two night stay at the Hampton Inn Downtown. The hotel is located on Andrews, two blocks north of Broward. After picking up a rental car it was about 10 minutes from the airport to the hotel.

The hotel has a multi-level parking garage attached. Because it takes a room key card to enter, you park on the side of the hotel, check in, and then park your car. Even though the hotel was full, we had no trouble finding a parking spot on one of the higher levels. Check in was friendly and reasonably fast.

My two colleagues and I arrived very late and were pleased that our room preferences were honored. Two of us received accessible rooms X309, but the only difference we could tell was the bathrooms. My room was #309, far enough from the elevator to not be bothered by the noise. One thing that I really liked about the hotel is that both walls in my room were concrete. There was no noise from adjoining rooms whatsoever.

My room was pretty much the Hampton Inn standard with a Cloud 9 bed. Personally, I found the bed too soft. There were two each feather and foam pillows. There were nightstands with lamps on both sides of the beds, but no convenient electrical outlets.

The hotel offers complimentary wired high speed internet access in guest rooms. It takes an authorization code to gain access which is supplied at check in. The desk was large and the office style chair comfortable.

The room had a TV, refrigerator, microwave, and electronic safe large enough for a laptop computer. There was also an arm chair, but no ottoman. The air conditioning unit was located under the window. It did a great job of cooling the room, but was, in my opinion, too noisy. I had to turn it off to sleep as one of my other colleagues in room 409 did also.

The bathroom was fairly large and very well lit. There were towels enough for four guests. Bath amenities included shampoo, conditioner, lotion, bath gel, and mouthwash. There was a mounded hair dryer in the bathroom. The in-room coffee was located on the bath vanity. My room had a combination tub and shower. Water pressure was excellent and hot water flowed very quickly.

Like all Hampton Inns, the hotel offers a complimentary breakfast in the morning. The breakfast room is on the 2nd floor of this hotel. One morning the hot entrée was English muffins with scrambled eggs and bacon as a topping. The next morning was pre-made waffles and sausage coins. There was also fruit, yogurt, cereals, and breakfast breads. The coffee was good.

The hotel has a swimming pool on the 2nd floor facing south so that sun is not blocked by the hotel. There is a large business center next to the lobby with four PC’s and printers. Internet usage is complimentary and convenient for checking in and printing boarding passes. Also in the lobby area is a micro market with snacks, drinks, frozen foods, and toiletries. There are quite a few restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

The Hampton Inn Downtown Ft Lauderdale is not a resort hotel, but great if you have business in the area. All of the hotel associates were friendly and the hotel was very clean. It is my pleasure to offer it a very good recommendation

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank LakersFan
Reviewed October 15, 2007

This hotel is great...very clean, well maintained! They even gave me free breakfast coupons and free wifi access.

But, the staff were pretty unfriendly and dint have the normal attitude you would get at a Hampton Inn/ Hilton!

But still this hotel is worth every penny you will spend for it!

Stayed: October 2007