“Good but a bit pretentious”
Review of Thai Spice

Thai Spice
Ranked #56 of 1,330 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Good but a bit pretentious”
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

The food is very good here. It has a little bit of that "see and be seen" atmosphere that I don't love, though. It's pricier than other Thai restaurants in the area, but not necessarily better food. This would be a good restaurant for a first date, I'd say.

• Visited February 2013

Beverly Hills, California
“Decent food, Horrible Waiter”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I just had one of the worst experiences at a restaurant ever. That is really tough to say as I have eaten at thousands of establishments all over the world.

To be clear, your food is delicious, your staff was incredibly kind to my 89 year-old grandmother, but the waiter who waited on us was one of the worst ever.

First off, the waiter does not know the menu. Which is sad, when your job is to know the menu. My grandmother wanted to order soup w/ her Pad Thai and he told her she couldn't...when it clearly said it comes with soup on the luncheon menus.

Then, my grandmother asks for a straw to share my tea, and he comes back with said straw and shoves it in her soup bowl. Because clearly, all old people want to sip up their hot soup from a straw. Just because she is in a walker, it doesn't mean she is paraplegic. She felt disgusted that he would generalize like that and that he would just plop the straw in her soup, without even handing it to her. Really weird stuff.

Then, when *I* ask for the check, he makes a BIG DEAL to plop in front of her. Because clearly, as a mixed-race black woman, I am either my grandmother's aid or too poor to pay. It was really uncalled for to have this waiter make an assumption of who was to pay. Usually, when the wait staff is properly trained, they place the check in the middle of the table.

I leave my debit card with the waiter, and my grandmother watched as he swiped my card 3x in a row without a break. She couldn't believe it.

And the he comes back and says that my card is declined...which is complete [--]. I asked for a read-out from the machine and he says the machine doesn't do that. I wanted proof that my card was declined and he just stared at me blankly. He said he ran it twice and it was declined and there was nothing he could do.

Instead of giving access to any more of my cards, I pay cash and we leave. My level of trust is completely gone.

On our way home, my bank calls to say that someone at Thai Spice/Tatton ran my card at least 3x. I have TWO charges of $27.40 deducted from my account. So I LOVE that he says my card is declined, while $27.40 went through twice. If I had no money in my account, clearly that wouldn't have happened. My bank says it would have gone through a THIRD time, but they halted the activity before the waiter could.

I think your waiter needs to (a) learn the menu (b) take sensitivity training (c) learn not to generalize people and (d) learn how to use a credit card machine. He is not equipped to represent your establishment nor serve its guests.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Kerith90211
Boca Raton
“Should Thai food cost this much? Really?”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our diner here had both good and bad. I called the day before and left my reservation on their answering machine as they instruct you to do. The next day they had no record of my reservation. My cell phone did have a record of the call. They did wind up honoring the reservation however I really had to push the issue. We got a nice booth in the new addition room. The steamed dumplings as an appetizer were tasty but a little on the small side. My wifes Pad Thai was one of the best tasted but my Chicken Panang lacked the usual magic that makes Panang one of my favorites. We passed on desert even though our pushy waiter didn't want to hear about it. We said "no dessert" and he put the whole tray of "demo desserts" on the table in front of us. We said "no" and he proceeded to start describing all six desserts. After he described the first two we said "no" again and he kept going. We said "no" when he was finished and then he just stood back looking at the desserts on the table for an uncomfortable amount of time. He probably does this every time and just waits for someone to give in. We didn't. He then picked up the tray and told us about two other deserts not on the tray. We must have said "no" at least 5 times. Dinner for two with one appetizer, four drinks with tip was $98.50. Everything we ordered was "mid-priced" compared to other selections on the menu. Considering everything, we thought it was quite overpriced and really have no desire to return.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Pete923
“Excellent food !!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have eaten here way before the restaurant expanded itself. The food was excellant than as it is now. We live in west palm and make it a date night to make the trip down to ft. Lauderdale to have dinner. We would recommend that you make reservations instead of walking in, the place tends to get packed on Friday and Saturday nights. I would definitely recommend to anyone!!!

• Visited July 2013
Fort Lauderdale
“Classy Owners”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Not only is Thai Spice a great place to eat, they stand behind the customer. I was not aware that they added a 18% gratuity to checks with over 5 or more people and I added another 20%. They refunded the money to my credit card. It certainly makes me feel good to know how much they care about what people think of not only the food but the people who own and run this restaurant. They have done a very nice job on making Thai Spice a beautiful place to eat with family and friends. I reccommend this establishment to all my clients.

Maggie