“I dream of their pancake”

Old Fort Lauderdale Breakfast House
Ranked #282 of 1,351 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 2, 2013

For the longest time, if you mentioned the word breakfast in downtown Fort Lauderdale, only two places came to mind... The Riverside Inn and The Floridian. And then came OB Breakfast house. I think that's it's nickname. If waiting is not your thing, then come early or late to breakfast or be prepared to stand around chatting with friends but the wait it worth it as no one waits for bad food. If you're thinking about getting 10 of your best bud's together to do a brunch thing, pick another place. This is not a big restaurant. Tables of 2- 4- 6 (tops) are best suited for OB. Everything is made to order. They put a spin on the traditional eggs and bacon. Portions are large and there is a lot of variety. Try the following: their homemade muffins, eggs hollandaise (not the packaged sauce, yeah), the "local" tomato and egg breakfast, the BLT, the cheese grits (closest to southern style) and last but not least the baked pancake! OMG, it's heaven. Order it in addition to your main course and share then take it home (if there's any left). It lasts a couple days. Serve it for dessert! It nukes well. While standing around, pass the time by ordering a mimosa. They use real OJ. Come to enjoy the slow pace of this place. If you think it's an in and out deal you will be disappointed and frustrated. Sit back and relax. The servers are very friendly. It's a small kitchen and oh so worth the wait. Pet friendly big plus. Don't expect to pay traditional breakfast prices. They are a little higher priced than what you may be used to for eggs and bacon.

Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We went there for lunch and had breakfast. Tried sangria and a couple of their sandwiches. Sat outside and really enjoyed it. Great service and great food!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Excellent food. Great atmosphere! The wait to get in was about 40 minutes on a Sunday but it is well worth the wait! There is eating inside and outside. We were seated inside and the tables are very close. the food is fresh and delicious! A must visit!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Great food! After questioning the waiter about the food, he expressed how locally grown food is first select there. There are different reviews about service at this restaurant; the reason it takes longer than the 10 minutes at majors chains, is because the food is freshly prepared. You can even watch as food is prepared, everything is from daily container to grill. The servers are really nice, and they will explain almost anything you ask. If your in a rush , then try another place. If you want great tasteful food, in a great environment, in downtown ft lauderdale, then this is a great selection.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I really do not want to write this. I have been to this restaurant several times and the food is very good. You will see a strange mix of reviews on Trip Advisor because the place is erratic. I have finally decided I have made my last visit. We brought our out of town guests here for breakfast, promising it would be great. It took 10 minutes to get a table, 15 minutes to get our water, coffee never arrived and I finally cancelled the order for it. It took 20 minutes for the waitress to take our food order and 35 minutes for the food to arrive. Another 10 plus minutes to get the bill paid. We arrived here at 9:40 am and left at 11:30 am...nearly 2 hours for breakfast. I finally went inside to ask if there was a problem with our order. The man in charge stared at me and without expression, said "no"... So I said, "we come here frequently and the service is normally not this slow". He said "take your seat...we will be with you". No explanation, nor any apology.. Asked for maple syrup and was told it would be $3.00 extra..said that is fine, but...it never came. Asked for more water..it did show up, after we had eaten most of our meal. I read the newspaper review which was scathing, and I felt like it was unfair, but... Now I understand how bad the service can be. I live here..I am a regular, and I won't eat here again.

2  Thank NatalieP22