“kool little place”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Good fun, Good beer, Good Crowd. Ok the first thing is you have to do is find this place which isnt that easy. Yea its off davie bvld and that sounds easy but look at a map first or you'll delve mistakenly onto some pretty dodgy streets. Once you arrive you will find yourself saying - is this it? and if you find yourself saying that then you have found the place. In what was an old bodega are couches, the honor system and a whole lot of beer. Go on in make your way through the crowd reach into the cooler and grab a beer open it and start drinking its all fine. Thats the way it works. Pick your beer and on the way out to the register bring up the bottles or just tell them what you drank and they will take your word for it. But before you leave sit at a communal table order a pizza and make some new friends. You say it cant be? It is and why? Its just so damn reasonable to hang here as everything is priced fairly and you'll have such a good time you want to pay. Im sure every once in a while some slimebag beats them for a beer or two but overall the crowd wants this place to live on so all usually pay. Also the sandwiches are pretty great too. SO for a different night just go to the Riverside.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

First off, I'm a local. I live just a few streets away from Riverside. I will admit that the atmosphere of the place is cool and the staff are generally friendly, but there are two major issues that I have with Riverside. First, the beer prices (and particularly the cider prices) are just outrageous. The same ciders that they are selling in Riverside for $20 you can get retail for $9 or even at the bars on 2nd St. for $12 - $14. And yes, I understand that although Riverside is set up as a "market" it is actually a restaurant so one should expect to pay restaurant prices. However, there is simply no reason for a this kind of markup on a bottled beer/cider when other local pubs are doing very well on a markedly lower profit margin.

The second problem is also related to the prices... nothing is marked and the prices on specific items change seemingly at the whim of who happens to be behind the register. The first time it happened I thought it was either a) my imagination or b) a mistake, however, I have now been in Riverside three different times and purchased the same items and each time my total has been different. When you get to the register the employees ring you up on calculator and then give you a total, never showing you an itemized register receipt. The last time it happened I asked them to break it down for me and I got a blank stare for a second before the numbers were rattled off. I pointed out that I had been charged differently for the same beer (more actually) just a week earlier and there was no response. Just to double check I had a friend go in a few days later and buy the same beer and sure enough, it was yet a different price.

I'm not suggesting that there is anything nefarious going on here, but it seems ridiculous to me that the beers are not organized in the coolers in some fashion where prices are available prior to purchase to ensure consistency for customers. I guess if you're new to craft beers/ciders this place seems like a mecca of some sort and the owners assume people don't actually know what their stock is worth, but for people who regularly drink imports and crafts it's extremely irritating.

When I first moved into this side of town I wanted to check out the food which everyone had raved about in the reviews, which is why I initially went into the place. The food is ok, but I certainly don't feel its worthy of a five star rating. Coupled with the issues above, the mediocre food has ensured that for me Riverside has become a last resort stop on the way home after Sunday Funday, rather than the cool trendy hang out around the corner from my house that I really wish it was.

5  Thank thewholepi
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I love this place. Always bring my dog and sit outside and they always bring out water for him. Cute girls serving inside and out. Guys that work here are down to earth and informative in a non condescending way about the beers. In a very eclectic back roads neighborhood on the border of downtown. If you want a getaway from the hustle and bustle of downtown and las olas, come over the ole swing bridge and indulge. Once you have one beer strap yourself in for the long run. Great people watching, awesome ambiance, totally random.

1  Thank Sarahfla
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place is such a great find! If you are in Ft. Lauderdale you really need to stop by this wonderful place. Friendly, you will feel like these folks have known you all their lives. They know their beers and wow, what a selection! Just about everywhere you turn once inside, beer coolers are stocked full, the list of "craft beers" seem endless! The food is delicious, organic you will not be disappointed, you will wish you lived right down the street.

1  Thank Compassrose89
Reviewed February 23, 2013

If you like craft beer and pizza, this the best local joint in Ft Lauderdale. Brush up on Beer Advocate and it will save you 5 minutes in front of the beer cooler! Lots of other eclectic food options besides pizza. Combine beer, pizza and a great laid back atmosphere and you will want to move your sofa!

1  Thank rtig