“Second trip”

Ranked #2 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Michigan
“Second trip”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was overwhelming in praise for my first trip there a few years ago, not as much so this time. Although in fairness to the hotel, my issue was more with the handling of dinner reservation and what I paid. So I will reserve my comments to the hotel itself. Stayed 4 nights and paid for the suite which I can assure you was in excess of $600 per night. The choice was due more to lack of other rooms than my desire to spend that sort of money for a room.

The room itself was decent, not overly large, basically a large room with an enclosed sun deck. Couple of complaints, shower was lousy, you basically had to stand in corner of tub and hope that too much water does not run out onto floor. Shower head needs to be moved, certainly not for anyone taller than 6', if it was just moved to center of bath I think most of water issues would have been negated. I cannot imagine how it was designed that way. No shower curtain, sort of a half glass wall and gravity is supposed to do the rest. But other than that bath was decent, double vanities and sinks, nicely tiled. Bed was decent, just could not escape the thought and feel that I was sleeping on a plastic liner under the bed sheet, sounded and felt like that, I haved stayed in hundreds of hotels, never had that feeling.

Room was equipped with sofa, easy chair, couple of wicker chairs inside, had a high bar style wood table on the outside deck, great view overlooking pool. Comfortable, but due to cool weather this was not much of a factor as we did not use it. Also had a small mini-bar with snacks, standard fare, plan on paying for everything used from it.

Small bar downstairs, good selection of wine, poor selection of beer, just Bud and Heineken, a little lacking, no liquours. Was there and ordered wine and beer, wife had a fair pour, but next customer who was some sort of friend with manager came up, she poured him easily twice the amount. I understand it, but do not accept that, should have just poured him standard amount, after I just paid for mine. I am not a wine snob, just would be nice to see some other beer choices than two beers.

Outside pool area is very nice, great seating, nice touch of ice water availalble, no lack of towels.

One interesting issue was our next door neighbor had a racoon on her outside porch which was connected to ours. I recognize that wildlife are just that sort of un-controllable, but staff was sort of well I do not see one now attittude.

Made reservations for a town car to pick us up at airport, not a bad deal, about $60 I think, better than dealing with cab driver.

So, overall, depends on what you are paying, I paid quite an amount for 4 nights, probably more than it was worth. On the other hand, if you had a smaller room, probably a great deal. Not a large hotel, cozy, bar a little lacking. I do know that their restaurant gets good reviews. Good location, easy to walk to most things nearby.

Room Tip: Check out the shower!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Captdave12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I checked in today and want to advise any future guests. The rooms on the first floor are not private. I have staff and guests who walk by and look into my room (104). This means unless I want to remain fully dressed at all times, I do not have the option of leaving my blinds open to enjoy the view. I am right next to the towel bin and the second room when you exit the lobby. I did request a room on the second floor but to no avail. In addition, if you want to sit outside your room in the chairs provided, there is no privacy as it is the walkway to the other rooms.

This review is solely to advise guests who are not familiar with the hotel. I cannot say anything negative about the hotel, i am just unhappy with the location of my room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor.
Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ectravelermd
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

While I am not a elite traveller, I travel often enough and stay mostly at the 4&5 stars hotels to know when I come across a gem.

Pillars hotel is a quiet, top notch hotel that seems to proud itself on customer satisfaction. The rooms, the grounds, the food are all above standard but one thing that I really enjoyed was the staff. Professional and dedicated to making your stay perfect!

will I be back, absolutely, but this gem is becoming popular so booked ahead!

Room Tip: great location, quiet and relaxing, excellent staff
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Limonrum
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We have enjoyed several stays at The Pillars. The property is gorgeous, the staff exceptional and the atmosphere is so relaxing! We love The Pillars so much that we decided to have our wedding there this spring. We know that everything will be wonderful and we can't wait to show off our "home away from home" to our friends and family! If you're looking for a beautiful, sophisticated retreat in Ft. Lauderdale, The Pillars is the perfect place for you!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth R
New York
Reviewed February 28, 2013

A wonderful oasis away from the strip. Lovely,quiet and relaxing. Service is spectacular. The staff can't do enough to make you're stay enjoyable. Meals any where you want. But don't miss dinner in the Secret Garden.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank DMMMNewYork
ann arbor
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Pillars on a rare night away from our kids while visiting my parents in Fort Lauderdale. In the past we have made getaways to South Beach but in seeing the Pillars and the great reviews, we decided to try someplace closer. We were thrilled with our decision from start to finish!! Cannot say enough good things about the place. Beautifully and serenely appointed. Efficient and welcoming checking with complementary glass of wine during the process followed by a brief tour of the place. Our Queen cabana poolside room was amazing. Small room but huge outdoor cabana and balcony overlooking the gorgeous pool. Helpful staff in calling a cab to our dinner destination. Breakfast was wonderfully served in our outdoor cabana. Really enjoyed taking the water taxi to lunch on Las Olas. Despite the hotel being full, we felt like one of a select few with impeccable service and privacy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eleniAnnArbor
Cincinnati
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My teenage niece and I stayed at The Pillars over New Years. We were told the hotel was at full capacity, but we never felt like it was crowded. In the midst of a busy season in Ft. Lauderdale (not only New Years, but the Orange Bowl, too), it was an oasis. On the intracoastal waterway, the sunsets were beautiful, a nice dock/deck for sunning, and outdoor dining. Just a short walk to the beach, one could see the sunrises, mingle amongst the crowds, then come back to peace at The Pillars. It has a very European feel as one person mentioned. If you are used to large, cookie-cutter chain hotels, this place would not be for you. The staff was very helpful and the service was personal. The meals at the hotel were excellent, the chef has real talent. I am particular about my food, and a bit of a foodie, so this is a compliment to him. The roasted chestmut soup we had for our New Year's Eve dinner was just sumptuous. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family